Are the gun/ammo needs of the armed citizen different than for a LEO? - Page 5

Are the gun/ammo needs of the armed citizen different than for a LEO?

This is a discussion on Are the gun/ammo needs of the armed citizen different than for a LEO? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Wavygravy Point taken with your "What if?" scenario. You are, however, circling back around to the "carrying a Photon Blaster with a ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree578Likes

Thread: Are the gun/ammo needs of the armed citizen different than for a LEO?

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Point taken with your "What if?" scenario. You are, however, circling back around to the "carrying a Photon Blaster with a BUG because LEO and military do" POV. Just my take. I'm more concerned with the more likely scenario of a guy trying to rob/assault me or take my wife in the parking lot during the milk run.
    No, just a Glock and a reload. Why is getting robbed in a parking lot more realistic than being in a store during a robbery? The facts do not support your fantasy gunfight.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

VIP Member
    BadBob, too many folks associate hadn't oughta with what is, and shouldn't with doesn't. Not wanting to be fearmongers, they border on denyin' it can happen to who they are, and where they are...and some tromp all over that border.

Anytime, anywhere. Trouble doesn't make an appointment. If shoulda translated to woulda, we wouldn't have to carry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    BadBob, too many folks associate hadn't oughta with what is, and shouldn't with doesn't. Not wanting to be fearmongers, they border on denyin' it can happen to who they are, and where they are...and some tromp all over that border.

Anytime, anywhere. Trouble doesn't make an appointment. If shoulda translated to woulda, we wouldn't have to carry at all.
    That makes it all CRYSTAL clear, @Snub44

I think...
    OldChap, spclopr8tr and matthew03 like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Since no one has stated this before now...It is a false assumption that an LEO off duty is not "on duty." In today's ambush-style assaults on LEO's, one can never be truly "off duty." By department policy I wasn't allowed to be armed on duty. You can bet that there were many, many times I was armed to the teeth when I was "off duty" though.

And the other truth is that LEO's and citizens carry weapons for only one purpose - to survive. Weapons are tools. True wisdom is knowing which tool will be adequate to allow you to survive the encounter with the unthinkable.

@Bad Bob Yup....just so. I carried my G27 converted to a G32 with appropriate .357 Sig barrel (4.6 inch) all loaded up with some nice Underwood 124 grain XTPs at almost 1500 fps. Fair copy of the .357 and I put it and a back up mag in a shoulder holster underneath my suit jacket for church last Sunday. Probably the most dangerous place I ever regularly go outside of WalMart.
    flh, AzQkr, matthew03 and 3 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    No, just a Glock and a reload. Why is getting robbed in a parking lot more realistic than being in a store during a robbery? The facts do not support your fantasy gunfight.
    That is a straw man argument. Your scenario was a 3 member team operating together in a local mom and pop grocery. I said it was more likely that I would be robbed/assaulted by a single person in a parking lot at my particular mom and pop grocery.
    It's not "my fantasy gunfight," and the crime statistics in my town support my decisions on how and what to carry. It's about probabilities.
    2017 Crime stats in my "village" -- Murders -- 0. Robberies -- 0. Assaults -- 1. Burglaries -- 4. Thefts (including petty) -- 14.
    I don't feel the need to carry a photon blaster and BUG (or a full-size Glock and a reload) when running out to the village grocery. A .380 in the pocket is fine with me. You carry whatever you want, OK?
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Are the gun/ammo needs of the armed citizen different than for a LEO?-gunfight.jpg
    OldChap, flh, msgt/ret and 8 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I, being myself practice avoidance of stupid people, places and things. So far its been a good plan. Me EDC is a S&W Shield 9X19mm with two (8) Rd capacity magazine. Its either going to be good enough or it isn't going to be good enough but that's the way its going to be. I'm also pragmatic in the sense that it may or may not be my day. This may not be a good game plan but at this point I'm in my seventh decade thus I may be prudent or just plain lucky but that's the way its been to date.
    spclopr8tr and dangerranger like this.

Sponsor
    Whether real or imagined/what if's, for a civilian it's "it depends", once again, based on a lot of variables.

I'll carry a 5 shot revo, but only if there's two of them and one is available to each hand. I normally carry a semi, usually a G17/G19x 9mm with a spare mag or a shield 45 with one or two spare mags. Sometimes I'll carry one of the G's and a BUG like the 5 shooter revo.

"It depends", but real or imagined, I'm not carrying less than 10 rounds and prefer more anywhere anytime over less anywhere anytime.

Involved in a few parties, the single stack 1911 I nearly exclusively carried back then was enough and one party saw another uninvited guest making it 2 on 1. It wasn't the gun and won't be the gun one carries that goes home at the end of the party, it will be the party goer with the better training [ not practice, that's not training ], skills and a whole lot of luck.

Luck favors the prepared. No training? Rely more on luck, some training, less reliant on luck, lots of training even less reliant on luck. How lucky do you feel? Will you bet your life to needing a lot more luck or less luck with better skills. I plan for the worst, always have. Planning for the worst meant attending training, from various sources in multiple disciplines. Taking what works for me, discard the rest.

I've never stepped through life on a hope and a prayer.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Again, as the good guys we don't pic our fight, one has zero idea what one will be facing.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    That is a straw man argument. Your scenario was a 3 member team operating together in a local mom and pop grocery. I said it was more likely that I would be robbed/assaulted by a single person in a parking lot at my particular mom and pop grocery.
    It's not "my fantasy gunfight," and the crime statistics in my town support my decisions on how and what to carry. It's about probabilities.
    2017 Crime stats in my "village" -- Murders -- 0. Robberies -- 0. Assaults -- 1. Burglaries -- 4. Thefts (including petty) -- 14.
    I don't feel the need to carry a photon blaster and BUG (or a full-size Glock and a reload) when running out to the village grocery. A .380 in the pocket is fine with me. You carry whatever you want, OK?
    If the 3 man scenario is in play....Which does happen ....And they are all armed....I think your skills are going to be more important than your ammo choice
    You are gonna be out gunned anyway chances are.

You walk out that door everyday not knowing what may happen...Rather being in a robbery....Car crash...Plane crash...Heart attack....Its up to each person
    how much they want to fear what may happen....To each his own i say.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Geez, oldshirt, where ya been for the last three years?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Carry what makes you happy.
    OD*, Wavygravy, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    If the 3 man scenario is in play....Which does happen ....And they are all armed....I think your skills are going to be more important than your ammo choice
    You are gonna be out gunned anyway chances are.

You walk out that door everyday not knowing what may happen...Rather being in a robbery....Car crash...Plane crash...Heart attack....Its up to each person
    how much they want to fear what may happen....To each his own i say.
    I carry a blow out kit in the car too.
    AzQkr, OD*, Snub44 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Whether real or imagined/what if's, for a civilian it's "it depends", once again, based on a lot of variables.
    ^^^ There it is. The first part of your post. Everyone's different, and it's based on variables and the situation.
    This weekend I was in the backcountry in a known bear habitat and an area where meth-heads are fairly common. I carried a .357 magnum, a .380 BUG, and a 9mm in my fishing vest.
    Going to the mom and pop grocery for a gallon of milk in my little town, I stick a .380 in my pocket. It depends.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Senior Member Array Double Naught Spy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I carry a blow out kit in the car too.
    Which is great, if you can get to your car.
    Bad Bob and matthew03 like this.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links