Another event shooting - Page 3

Another event shooting

This is a discussion on Another event shooting within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Nifty Why no description of the shooter? I think it was Ann Coulter who said something to the effect; The longer the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Another event shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    Why no description of the shooter?
    I think it was Ann Coulter who said something to the effect; The longer the media goes without reporting details of the shooter, the more likely the the perpetrator doesn't fit the narrative of being white, Republican or a typical gun owner. I'm paraphrasing though. I'll see if I can find the actual quote.

P.S. Ah found it: https://twitter.com/anncoulter/statu...013633?lang=en

The longer we go without being told the race of the shooters, the less likely it is to be white men. #sorryNYT
    She has also done a couple of good articles in the past on this selective reporting by the media: Ann Coulter - October 7, 2015 - THE PROBLEM ISN'T GUNS OR WHITE MEN

Full disclosure: I'm not a Coulter fan, but sometimes she has the occasional genius thing to say...heck at least she is nowhere close to being one of the AOC+3 harpies, but I always found Claire Wolfe's ideas better thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    I think it was Ann Coulter who said something to the affect; The longer the media goes without reporting details of the shooter, the more likely the the perpetrator doesn't fit the narrative of being white, Republican or a typical gun owner. I'm paraphrasing though. I'll see if I can find the actual quote.
    Well...You can bet if it was a middle aged white guy with numerous things on his record who just purchased the guns 2 days ago
    they would have told us by now...I hope i am wrong but but that seems to be how it goes anytime this stuff happens.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Many on here say anywhere anytime....So based on that...Can someone dig up some stats on the chance
    of being in a mass shooting at a large venue VS being alone or out with family and being targeted?

I agree on not attending a event where you are not allowed to be able to protect yourself...But that goes for anywhere and not
    just large venues.
    What would be the point of drawing such distinctions?
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Pete63 likes this.

The Communist News Network quoted an apparent eyewitness who said the shooter was white, in his thirties, and bore an assault-like rifle. I read it this morning on my news aggregator.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poorly View Post
    The Communist News Network quoted an apparent eyewitness who said the shooter was white, in his thirties, and bore an assault-like rifle. I read it this morning on my news aggregator.
    Another often-quoted report is calling it a machine gun.

Risasi's link says he was a nineteen-year-old white guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What would be the point of drawing such distinctions?
    I am just wondering...Since people avoid large events in fear something bad may happen...If it can happen anywhere at anytime then one would really be limited
    in their everyday life by that theory.

To me...15 victims in one event or 15 victims in 15 separate events is still 15 victims....Just curious what the percentages of it happening are
    in either case....Which is more likely?

I know some are smarter than i on computers and digging up such info.

VIP Member
    I am just wondering...Since people avoid large events in fear something bad may happen...If it can happen anywhere at anytime then one would really be limited
    in their everyday life by that theory.

To me...15 victims in one event or 15 victims in 15 separate events is still 15 victims....Just curious what the percentages of it happening are
    in either case....Which is more likely?

I know some are smarter than i on computers and digging up such info.
    Being a victim of violent crime is exponentially higher than winding up on the wrong end at a mass shooting event. That said, dead is still dead. Beyond that, specifics depend on circumstances. If you are a young black man in a high-crime inner city, just as an example...

Thank you...You cleared that up for me....My belief all along was exactly as you said.
    So it is safer to attend a large venue every so often than going about your normal daily
    life and routine?

Thank you...You cleared that up for me....My belief all along was exactly as you said.
    So it is safer to attend a large venue every so often than going about your normal daily
    life and routine?
    That would depend on where you lived. For me I'd have to leave my rural small town, where I feel very safe, to go to a large venue in a larger city.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    That would depend on where you lived. For me I'd have to leave my rural small town, where I feel very safe, to go to a large venue in a larger city.
    I see your point and it makes sense....I am just speaking to the anywhere anytime theory.
    Everyday is a risk...We make decisions ( Or at least we should) based on that.

I would never go a large crowded venue where i was not allowed to protect myself.
    But i will if i can protect myself and i am really interested in what it has to offer.

We do risky things everyday in life that we see as normal.
    We drive cars
    Travel on airplanes etc etc
    People die all the time because of them yet we still use them.

It's all part of living today.

I am sure some will say that is necessity and attending a large a venue is not.

Neither is traveling in a car on vacation
    Flying to Vegas for a weekend
    Taking the wife out to dinner and movie
    Going to mall to by some new clothes.

I avoid some places rather i can protect myself or not...Even where i live.
    But i sure try to make good decisions and go about my business.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Another often-quoted report is calling it a machine gun.

Risasi's link says he was a nineteen-year-old white guy.
    Latest looks like he's Iranian descent, looks to be a second generation Iranian. https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/santino-william-legan/.
    Pete63 likes this.

Folks need to do a risk assessment (rationally assess the risk level) when deciding to go places and doing things whether armed or not.

If the area or activity is known to be dangerous but isn't really important then we can decide to just not go there/do it.

If one must, absolutely must, go to a place that is known to be very dangerous then it would be wise to go armed. If one must go there but can't go armed then it would be wise to consider being armed with unconventional weaponry (walking stick, sturdy ink pen, heavy belt buckle on easily pulled belt).

And hopefully I was just preaching to the choir.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Folks need to do a risk assessment (rationally assess the risk level) when deciding to go places and doing things whether armed or not.

If the area or activity is known to be dangerous but isn't really important then we can decide to just not go there/do it.

If one must, absolutely must, go to a place that is known to be very dangerous then it would be wise to go armed. If one must go there but can't go armed then it would be wise to consider being armed with unconventional weaponry (walking stick, sturdy ink pen, heavy belt buckle on easily pulled belt).

And hopefully I was just preaching to the choir.
    I had two temple board members seek me out after the Pittsburgh Tree of Life Synagogue shootings to tell me that the board would not authorize me to carry on our premises. Such authorization is required in order to do so legally. I quit attending services there. Some months later, the entire board decided it was more important to have me present than not, and voted to authorize.

Unconventional weaponry would be feel-good worthlessness in our particular situation.
    Risasi, Poorly, msgt/ret and 5 others like this.

Doesn't fit the narrative.
    Risasi likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links