Car attack? - Page 2

Car attack?

This is a discussion on Car attack? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 I would drive away if possible. Same here, though it was a similar situation with a loonie trying to climb onto ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Car attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I would drive away if possible.
    Same here, though it was a similar situation with a loonie trying to climb onto the hood of my car during my 2AM morning commute that prompted me to start carrying every day in the first place, so there's that. BTW, I did drive away from said loonie before he could get on my car, and it involved driving a half a block on the wrong side of the road to get far enough away from him that he couldn't quickly enough get in front of my car. I cannot say what would have happened if his attempt had been successful, but it would have likely ended up with paperwork to fill out and being late for work...

I have an 18-inch wrecking bar (crowbar) next to my driver's seat (as a tool, mind you) and I know how to use an impact weapon. I would go up against a tire iron with that.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Approaching my vehicle with a tire iron or pipe, one might become a pancake. That's a deadly weapon. Of course one must take into account the totality of the situation, but this one sounds like one other recently where the carjacker was in the middle of the road and walking at the vehicle. You don't get out of the way, I'm not stopping to give you a target.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    If I cannot evade and escape by vehicle, and he attempts to breech the passenger compartment in any way, he gets shot enough to stop the threat.
    Hoganbeg, M1911A1, lchamp and 3 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

What’s interesting about a crime like this is that it depends entirely on the victims choosing not to crush the criminal with their vehicles. Legalities aside, I guess it says good things about human nature that they chose so, but if one had chosen differently, I wouldn’t think badly of him.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

This is Florida...I would react to immediate threat of severe bodily harm with the nearest handgun...probably the one on my belt.

My first thought would be to drive away, if possible.

Otherwise, I'll defend myself against what is clearly a life threatening attack.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

I am mature and sane enough to recognize a threat to my life, and I react accordingly.
    In a life and death situation, thinking of the consequences and perceived legality will get you killed fast.
    TSKnight likes this.

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Thump,thump.

Sponsor
    I'd comply and alight from said vehicle as directed.

He's made a mistake allowing me to alight. It's just a friggin crow bar for christs sake, it's mine, he just doesn't know it yet. He may not have to be shot, I'd prefer to not have to shoot anyone again if at all possible.
    Mike1956, TSKnight and M1911A1 like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I would drive away if possible.
    I would drive over him if necessary.
    AzQkr likes this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    What’s interesting about a crime like this is that it depends entirely on the victims choosing not to crush the criminal with their vehicles. Legalities aside, I guess it says good things about human nature that they chose so, but if one had chosen differently, I wouldn’t think badly of him.
    Driving away means the incident is over. Squishing somebody generally winds up with a few more procedures to endure before the incident is "officially" over. Maybe we're nice people, or maybe we just don't have the desire to deal with the aftermath.
    maxwell97 likes this.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    776.013 Home protection; use or threatened use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—
    1 (b) "Deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.
    (2) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using or threatening to use defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
    (a) The person against whom the defensive force was used or threatened was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; …"

I would have to believe anyone with a tire iron attacking an occupied vehicle was either: A. attempting to cause grave harm or death to the occupants; or B. attempting to forcibly remove said occupants from that vehicle.
    That works for Florida...in Colorado the law is different for homes than vehicles:

C.R.S. 18-1-704.5

(1) The general assembly hereby recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes.

(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.

(3) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from criminal prosecution for the use of such force.

(4) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from any civil liability for injuries or death resulting from the use of such force.

(5) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, "dwelling" does not include any place of habitation in a detention facility, as defined in section 18-8-211 (4).

Vehicles would likely fall under C.R.S. 18-1-706:

A person is justified in using reasonable and appropriate physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent what he reasonably believes to be an attempt by the other person to commit theft, criminal mischief, or criminal tampering involving property, but he may use deadly physical force under these circumstances only in defense of himself or another as described in section 18-1-704.
    OldVet likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Fralick was treated for injuries he sustained from the K-9 and is currently being held at the Adams County Detention Facility.
    Good doggie!
    M1911A1 likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 227 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    Driving away means the incident is over. Squishing somebody generally winds up with a few more procedures to endure before the incident is "officially" over. Maybe we're nice people, or maybe we just don't have the desire to deal with the aftermath.
    I think it’s a combination. Most people have an aversion to violence against humans, and society strongly reinforces it with rules, both written and unwritten.

Which has some good effects, but unfortunately it also makes a lot of people into easy victims.
    Frodebro likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links