What Would Be Your Response - Page 2

What Would Be Your Response

This is a discussion on What Would Be Your Response within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jmf552 He could have been on his way to or from a Missouri Militia meeting. That is a legal and non-radical, but ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: What Would Be Your Response

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    He could have been on his way to or from a Missouri Militia meeting. That is a legal and non-radical, but not government controlled militia and they have exercises several times a year where they show up in full kit. He might not have wanted to leave his weapons in the car.

My feeling is this: If they guy is following the law and not brandishing or aiming, he is no threat until he is. If he were there to commit mayhem, he would be doing that, not walking around with a shopping cart. I also believe that if we don't support carriers who are obeying the laws, even if they show bad judgement, we are giving up on those laws. There are plenty of people who would be panicked by seeing your EDC printing under your T-shirt.

Also, this is yet one more reason not to go to Walmart. How many incidents at that one chain do we need before people get it?
    I understand what you are saying.
    But a little common sense would go a long way. If he is a law abiding gun guy he is not helping the cause.
    Tensions are high right now and to look like you are mimicking the El Paso shooter may be legal, but it is downright dumb.

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Carrying a slung rifle is equivalent to carrying a holstered handgun. Any deviation from those conditions warrants a respon
    Is that a legal determination relative to Missouri gun regulations or an opinion?

In some jurisdictions, carrying a handgun in one's hand can be considered "brandishing" and is thus, illegal. I am not aware of state laws that would consider carrying a long gun in one's hands as brandishing.

Really, I will bet a lot of the police that responded showed up in full kit to arrest someone who violated no laws we know of. Were they just looking for attention? Or do you feel there should be a different standard for agents of the state?
    I don't think it, there are different standards for agents of the state as you put it. Cops walk around open carrying and nobody bats an eye except for maybe a few hoplophobic Starbucks managers.

You're not comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing some guy playing dress up to law enforcement professionals doing their job.

BTW, I'm not in favor of so many LEO being militarized but that seems pretty standard these days.
    mailman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Really, I will bet a lot of the police that responded showed up in full kit to arrest someone who violated no laws we know of. Were they just looking for attention? Or do you feel there should be a different standard for agents of the state?
    Like it or not, there are different standards for agents of the state. Are some of them attention mongers? Of course. That doesn't alter the complete, utter stupidity with which the individual cited in this thread acted. Had he wound up face down in his own blood from a gunshot to the back of his head, I would understand it.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    To me is seems that being arrested was probably the best outcome he could have hoped for. I don't see how anyone could walk into a Walmart dressed in tacticool gear, carrying an AR after someone shot up another Walmart just a few days earlier and say to himself, "This is going to go well". Legal or not. That guy needs to re-examine his decision making paradigm. Chances are several people will be examining it as well.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

flh
    mailman likes this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

VIP Member
    If I was by myself and as long as he was behaving without apparent malice or threat, I'd keep an eye on him but leave him alone. Nothing he did appears illegal or or immediately threatening.

But if I had family with me, we'd leave. It simply isn't worth taking a chance with all the Walmart shootings lately.
    Risasi and baren like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

There are dozens of videos on line in which individuals provocatively carry a military style assault rifle into a playground, grocery store, or bus stop and wait for the police to show up in response to a phone call from a concerned member of the public. (For whatever reason, a disproportionate number of the videos seem to originate in Oregon, but that's beside the point.) The videos further depict the armed citizen debating the police, typically to a frustrating stalemate, on the citizen's right to openly carry a legal firearm, despite the fear induced in members of the general public who view it. In the videos I have watched, the provocateur is usually articulate, calm and very well versed in their legal rights.

I am one who believes that our rights are like muscles; if they are not exercised, they will atrophy. We can debate and, at divergent points, disagree on whether the young man who is the subject of this post was acting in the best interests of most of the forum members who support the intent of the second amendment. We must be careful, however, not to judge him too harshly or too hastily. If it is wrong to enter Walmart with a rifle, isn't it also wrong to stroll the bread aisle with a holstered 1911 in plain view? It's the "slippery slope" conundrum, if you get my drift.
    Bikenut, ddrew, matthew03 and 1 others like this.

Another action by this guy was the fact that he was recording himself doing his tacticool wally walk.
    Most good ol" boys stopping in wally world for a couple of moon pies on the way to the deer blind are not filming themselves.
    I know it is not illegal to film yourself, but I will stand my ground on it being stupid and I do not feel one bit of sympathy for him.
    matthew03 and mailman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    To me is seems that being arrested was probably the best outcome he could have hoped for. I don't see how anyone could walk into a Walmart dressed in tacticool gear, carrying an AR after someone shot up another Walmart just a few days earlier and say to himself, "This is going to go well". Legal or not. That guy needs to re-examine his decision making paradigm. Chances are several people will be examining it as well.
    Time to hoist the red flag on this lunatic.
    entertainment72 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedishsteel View Post
    There are dozens of videos on line in which individuals provocatively carry a military style assault rifle into a playground, grocery store, or bus stop and wait for the police to show up in response to a phone call from a concerned member of the public. (For whatever reason, a disproportionate number of the videos seem to originate in Oregon, but that's beside the point.) The videos further depict the armed citizen debating the police, typically to a frustrating stalemate, on the citizen's right to openly carry a legal firearm, despite the fear induced in members of the general public who view it. In the videos I have watched, the provocateur is usually articulate, calm and very well versed in their legal rights.

I am one who believes that our rights are like muscles; if they are not exercised, they will atrophy. We can debate and, at divergent points, disagree on whether the young man who is the subject of this post was acting in the best interests of most of the forum members who support the intent of the second amendment. We must be careful, however, not to judge him too harshly or too hastily. If it is wrong to enter Walmart with a rifle, isn't it also wrong to stroll the bread aisle with a holstered 1911 in plain view? It's the "slippery slope" conundrum, if you get my drift.
    If the right to open carry disappeared today, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Another action by this guy was the fact that he was recording himself doing his tacticool wally walk.
    Most good ol" boys stopping in wally world for a couple of moon pies on the way to the deer blind are not filming themselves.
    I know it is not illegal to film yourself, but I will stand my ground on it being stupid and I do not feel one bit of sympathy for him.
    Speaking solely to the point that it's unusual to see one filming themselves while in Walmart, I have to say, that in my experience, it is as common as a yellow vest with a smiley face name tag on it. I very often see shoppers face timing with remote characters whose opinion is vital for the proper selection of beets or fabric softener. It is so ubiquitous that when I hear someone speaking out loud I have to look twice to see if they are asking for my opinion before realizing they are talking to their phone.
    baren likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If the right to open carry disappeared today, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
    I assume you would agree that if public opinion could be galvanized into the action necessary to terminate one's right to open carry...the abolition of concealed carry permits would not be far behind.
    ddrew, mailman, Struckat and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    While some legally carry a gun to make a political statement most of us do so in order to have the means to protect ourselves and our loved ones from a criminal attack. Well....

I legally audio and video record when I open carry in public because video and audio not only shows what happened but also shows what didn't happen. And I save those recordings for years because it is better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.
    baren likes this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

flh
    Any one here want to reenact what this individual did , and report back how it all went ...

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links