Advice For a Mass Shooting Response

This is a discussion on Advice For a Mass Shooting Response within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is an interesting read - especially for those new to licensed carry with questions about the subject of using your weapon during a mass ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Advice For a Mass Shooting Response

This is an interesting read - especially for those new to licensed carry with questions about the subject of using your weapon during a mass shooting, and specifically how to avoid getting shot by friendly fire. This comes from a good man who is a County Sheriff in a large New Mexico County. Here is an excerpt:

When law enforcement arrives, be aware that we may have no idea who the good guy is and who the bad guy is. Assumptions get people killed and we will be very cautious arriving at the scene. Show us your hands immediately and NEVER point a weapon in our direction. Follow our orders and understand that our immediate mission is to neutralize the threat as quickly and effectively as possible. We will probably not be saying please and thank you.
    This is good advice and is the same that I have advocated many times. In my ten years wearing a badge, I never saw anyone displaying empty hands get shot. The Sheriff recommends responsible personal carry as an excellent method to survive a mass shooting event.

Here is a link to the full article:

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...oter-scenario/
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    One of my biggest fears in a mass shooting scenario is being mistaken for the bad guy.
    LE arriving at the scene have no idea what they are getting into.
    When they show up is it best to drop your firearm and make yourself small as lay prone on the ground?
    Would hate to just stand there with my hands up in the air making myself an easier target for the bad guy.
    msgt/ret, OldChap, ddrew and 2 others like this.

Yep. Get your nose out of your cell phone and pay attention to reallity.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

@KILTED COWBOY My advice is to get down on the ground as flat as you can ( so you don't get shot by the bad guy ) with arms outstretched, hands empty, and with your hands easily visible - even if that means extending them above you.

Hands are killers, so hands that pose no threat draw no gunfire. The officers won't know who you are, but as long as your hands show that you pose no threat, you won't get shot.

Please understand I cannot guarantee that absolutely, but generally speaking, that is the best thing to do.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    In my ten years wearing a badge, I never saw anyone displaying empty hands get shot./
    Then you haven’t watched me shoot an IDPA match.....
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

When I was still active L.E. my mind was to intervene. Now I will protect my better-half and engage only if I have no other choice. Sometimes being a good witness is much better than engaging since you probably wont know how many bad guys there are and where they are located. The advice from all the seminars are: 1st- Run; 2nd - Hide; and third - Fight. They are advising now to not ever stop and render aide to a injured party but I dont think my training will allow me to do that especially if they are very young or very old. I cant really run anymore and my wife cant....so my options are hide or fight....so with those options I will look for a defend-able spot and hunker down and take care of those around me.....plus I will call 911 and tell them who i am; that I am armed and protecting x-number of people; where we are; that I am retired L.E. and give them a description of myself as well as any injuries and medical needs....when the Calvary arrives I will not have a gun in my hands and do exactly what they tell me to do.
    OldChap and duane_wade like this.

Distinguished Member
    It is easy to recognize good advice because it is based upon common sense. That sheriff gave good advice. I hope people have the common sense to recognize that.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Obeying orders, showing empty hands, and going prone aren't necessarily hard. Sirens not withstanding, the hard part may be knowing that LE has arrived and has seen you with gun in hand. Just a thought.
    OldChap and NECCdude like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Worst case scenario; happenstance puts the bad guy within range of my little pocket pistol and SWAT is on my position within visual range just as I am pulling the trigger.

Well, crap . . .
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Obeying orders, showing empty hands, and going prone aren't necessarily hard. Sirens not withstanding, the hard part may be knowing that LE has arrived and has seen you with gun in hand. Just a thought.
    It's like calesthenics but charicteristically out of place.
    OldChap likes this.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

What if your 100 yards away taking shots at the bad guy?....I mean at that distance you could be mistaken as another bad guy.
    Doghandler and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    What if your 100 yards away taking shots at the bad guy?....I mean at that distance you could be mistaken as another bad guy.
    Within range, Bro.

Read this interview with Neal Stephenson. There's a blurb in there about statistical thinking. Stephenson challenges our thoughts and ideas and our behavior with risk analysis for the one vs the many.

https://reason.com/2019/09/01/neal-s...l-big-stories/
    OldChap and Cuda66 like this.
    Doghandler
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Running around with a gun is hazardous no matter who you are or what you are trying to do. You may not have the luxury of knowing when exactly the Police arrive. Depending on what is happening, you may not be able to hear lawful commands being directed at you. It is also possible that you may not be able to readily identify plain clothed officers, off duty officers, armed citizens or know the exactly location of all these people. By pointing your weapon in the direction of the badguy, you may also be pointing in the general direction of officers or others who may not take kindly to it and may not (yet) fully understand what is going on and who the players are. It should go without saying that failing to follow police commands or pointing guns in the direction of police, is a very bad thing to do. The point I am trying to make is that well intending people may do BOTH without realizing it. It happens, so I would caution people to be very cognizant of the fact that hero-drive can cloud the judgment of even the more well intending person. If you simply must jump into the fray... go ahead, but weigh the risks thoughtfully.

If I find myself in a circumstance where I feel that I will likely lose my life if I fail to use my gun, I will use it. I will use it for only the briefest moment, I will reholster it and remove myself from the danger zone. I am not going to run toward gunfire or go looking for a madman. If that madman finds me, blocks my escape and directly places me in life threatening jeopardy.. its full on grizzly bear mode at that point.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I'll not try to be a hero in a mass shooting, even though it would be difficult to resist the altruistic urge. My main concern would be getting my wife out of it safely. If I make it, that's secondary. I know the "fog of war." Situations get extremely unpredictable fast.
    Fizban, G-man*, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Doghandler
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links