Just another example of how we should be allowed to defend ourselves

This is a discussion on Just another example of how we should be allowed to defend ourselves within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This event as exampled below, is actually one of four reasons I took to concealed carry. https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...ty/2178426001/ Another issue, but One of the owners told ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Just another example of how we should be allowed to defend ourselves

This event as exampled below, is actually one of four reasons I took to concealed carry.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...ty/2178426001/

Another issue, but One of the owners told deputies "the dogs were doing their jobs," according to the report.

And speaking of capacity, five dogs attack, anyone think a 10 round mag would be enough?

While we are at it....

https://www.thesummervillenews.com/2...-and-at-large/

A couple of weeks ago...another dead

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/pitbul...year-old-girl/

Loose pit bulls rip into woman's car on east side of Detroit - Story | WJBK

Hell I dunno. It seems that weekly, there is some attack, someone is killed or injured.
    JasonVanHalen, TSKnight and baren like this.

Only decisive hits count. Master you gun,carry enough gun.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    +1 on carry enough gun and be able to make solid hits.
    In my AO I am more apt to need a firearm for a 4 legged threat than a 2 legged threat.

The last dog attack I witnessed was a Rottweiler that threatened my Daughter. I pocket carried a Beretta 21A 22lr at the time. The first round got his attention and the last round fired was a contact shot that broke his neck (he had hold of my leg). He still wasn't done, just couldn't move. The 22lr shifted the attack to me, but was in no way enough gun to be a reliable stopper. Had it not been for my boot, I would have needed stitches. Had it not been for the Beretta my Daughter would have been a chew toy for a 120lb Rott because I was too far away from her or another firearm to have helped.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Also a good case for carrying a get-off-me knife. Applicable training is of course desirable.

Just another example of how we should be allowed to defend ourselves-p1050254.jpg
    TSKnight, AzQkr, hogdaddy and 3 others like this.

In 2018, 36 dog attacks resulted in human death: 15 child victims and 21 adult victims. The states of Florida and North Carolina had the most fatal dog attacks in 2018, each with 4 deaths. In 2017, 39 dog attacks resulted in human death: 15 child victims and 24 adult victims.

In the United States, the average annual death toll from lightning is 51 deaths per year, although more recently, in the last 10 years (2009-2018), the U.S. has averaged only 27 lightning fatalities; the riskiest activities include fishing, boating, camping, and golf.

I fail to care about the potential of being attacked by a dog or dog pack when more people died from lightening strikes than dog bites. I don't see this discussion as serving any purpose relative why we should be allowed to defend ourselves with firearms

Whenever lightning is mentioned i think of this classic....

And if its not dogs, its...

ROOSTERS!!

https://www.foxnews.com/health/roost...h-freak-attack
    AzQkr, baren and ETXhiker like this.

Senior Moderator
    the riskiest activities include fishing, boating, camping, and golf
    And remembering a few simple rules would eliminate virtually all deaths from lightening.
    RETSUPT99, AzQkr, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

My first job out of high school was as a letter carrier for the U.S. Post Office. Wasn't long before I learned that I would kill any dog that was a threat to me and not even blink an eye when doing it. Never had to actually kill one but was in several compromising situations with some "special tools" in my mail bag. One of my co-workers did kill one by kicking it in the chest, breaking several ribs which penetrated the dog's lungs and caused his death.

I love good dogs, but would not hesitate to kill one that was a threat to me.
    hogdaddy and ep1953 like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member
    @Nifty I am not going to go chasing links without context as to what the topic/content is. Your attention is invited to this sticky about posting links.

Please do not just post a link or article without adding your own thoughts regarding the information you are sharing.
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ther-site.html
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

As stated, Use what tools are on hand at time of attack. My first job fuel oil truck I had a few dogs try to get me but a quick shot of K-1 or #2, whatever was in the hose at time got em gone quick. I was only 17 at time, no carry. ; )
    H/D
    AzQkr and JasonVanHalen like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    My first job out of high school was as a letter carrier for the U.S. Post Office. Wasn't long before I learned that I would kill any dog that was a threat to me and not even blink an eye when doing it. Never had to actually kill one but was in several compromising situations with some "special tools" in my mail bag. One of my co-workers did kill one by kicking it in the chest, breaking several ribs which penetrated the dog's lungs and caused his death.

I love good dogs, but would not hesitate to kill one that was a threat to me.
    I've poisoned several errant dogs. Tried to choke out a pit which was impossible with my belt but held on until a town leo showed up, told me to let go to which I replied something to the effect of "ya, right". A sgt. showed up, took up a position that didn't endanger me too much and shot it in the head while was still trying to choke it out. Once I had him with the belt, I couldn't let go, I'd have been mauled myself. Took near 5 minutes of all I had to not let loose of that pit before the officers showed up.

I've been bit by a state police dog [ Hans was his name ] during a melee I was involved in where staties brought in two dogs to break up the riot. I give no quarter to dogs that are acting aggressively.

Lest anyone get their panties in a bunch about poisoning dogs, two of them had to go after the owner wouldn't keep them on his property. One of the kids on the street next door was my niece. I spoke to the owner, who told me to go pound sand. I informed him I'd kill the dogs if they presented another threat to my niece or any of the kids in the neighborhood. He didn't take that well, but did nothing to keep the dogs on his property. Few weeks later, got a call from my niece she barely made it into the complex before both mutts had her. Day later, he found his mutts in the backyard cold. He was the one who ended up pounding sand.

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    @Nifty I am not going to go chasing links without context as to what the topic/content is. Your attention is invited to this sticky about posting links.

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ther-site.html
    It should be pretty obvious from the title. I live in Florida. We are inundated with absurd arguments against the need for high capacity (>10) magazines, weapons of war, and guns in general. I really don't believe anyone could fend off 5 dogs with just a 10 round magazine, much less a knife or just bare hands. You might get two or three, but something is going to get through to you. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear.

I spend a ton of time on a bike, going to the coast and back which is around 70 miles and I pass more than enough dogs on the way, I'm fairly leery about some of the property I have to pass. I hike with a dog, same thing.
    spclopr8tr and JasonVanHalen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    In 2018, 36 dog attacks resulted in human death: 15 child victims and 21 adult victims. The states of Florida and North Carolina had the most fatal dog attacks in 2018, each with 4 deaths. In 2017, 39 dog attacks resulted in human death: 15 child victims and 24 adult victims.

In the United States, the average annual death toll from lightning is 51 deaths per year, although more recently, in the last 10 years (2009-2018), the U.S. has averaged only 27 lightning fatalities; the riskiest activities include fishing, boating, camping, and golf.

I fail to care about the potential of being attacked by a dog or dog pack when more people died from lightening strikes than dog bites. I don't see this discussion as serving any purpose relative why we should be allowed to defend ourselves with firearms
    You bring up a great point. There are all sorts of factors that lead people to overestimate some risks and underestimate others, by huge factors. Per an expert in risk perception and risk management, Bruce Schneier, in his book, "Beyond Fear."
    • People exaggerate spectacular but rare risks and downplay common risks. So unless you work in an animal control job, a vicious dog attack is a rare, spectacular event, versus the greater risk of a car accident for most people.
    • People have trouble estimating risks for anything not exactly like their normal situation. Most people don't live around vicious dogs. The normal situation with dogs is they are wonderful creatures.
    • People underestimate risks they willingly take and overestimate risks in situations they canít control. A dog attack is clearly an uncontrolled situation, one which someone would want to be able to control, in the case of this thread, through using a gun.
    • Personified risks are perceived to be greater than anonymous risks. A dog attack is an animal against a person. A lightning strike is impersonal.
    • People overestimate risks that are being talked about (especially in the media) and remain an object of public scrutiny. A really vicious dog attack may make the news and certainly will get talked about in the neighborhood where it happened. I see more news stories about dog attacks than I do lightning strikes.

Why is this important to this community? These kinds of factors fuel a lot of the push for gun control, so we should understand the dynamic.
    AzQkr, Hoganbeg, TSKnight and 2 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    ...I really don't believe anyone could fend off 5 dogs with just a 10 round magazine, much less a knife or just bare hands. You might get two or three, but something is going to get through to you. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear...
    I've been involved in a multiple dog attack and 5 dogs represent a near impossible opposing force regardless of magazine capacity. If you have more than one dog on you, a firearm becomes very difficult to use effectively. The scenario becomes a grappling event of rather dramatic content and it happens much faster than one would ever anticipate.

If they can be fended before contact consider yourself lucky and di di mau post haste.
    AzQkr and baren like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links