What kind of defensive scenario that you think of when considering capacity? - Page 3

What kind of defensive scenario that you think of when considering capacity?

This is a discussion on What kind of defensive scenario that you think of when considering capacity? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of the time its just the J frame and 1 reload on strips. But I don't have much in the way of neighbors, I ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: What kind of defensive scenario that you think of when considering capacity?

Most of the time its just the J frame and 1 reload on strips. But I don't have much in the way of neighbors, I don't drink, I don't have any reason to be in sketchy neighborhoods, etc... Now that I'm retired I don't even drive into town everyday.

My exposure is now down to trips to the store, gas station, and Pee Wee football games! None of those involve much of a crowd. Or much contact with dirt bags. Not that it couldn't happen just very little exposure to them. DR
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I carry 1x spare mag for what ever I'm carrying. I carry the spare mag less for additional capacity than to be in a position to fix failures - and many basic failures relate to the feeding of the round. If I feel I should be carrying a police/military loadout of ammo I'll probably a) reconsider the gun I'm carrying to my BHP (2 mags gives me 30 rds) but more importantly b) reconsider if I should be going to that location in the first place.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Maybe you have an adverse encounter with these guys...
    https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...bery-car-chase
    gatorbait51 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Considering the current state of affairs in our Country, I personally feel that carrying 2 spare mags is the "happy spot" for me. Full size handgun.....15 rnd mags, I'm carrying 2 spares... smaller handgun, 2 spares.... revolver......2 spare speed loaders.... Been doing it since I was 25 yrs old........my personal comfy spot though....... Your needs or desires may be different..
    Bad Bob, OD* and gatorbait51 like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    From what I carry, it's mainly 5+0 or 6+1. In the winter or other time when I'm wearing a coat I may have 1 more reload on me, if I remember to bring it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    It depends, mostly:

M1911A1 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I have always viewed these sort of things in the simplest light. I am invested in a very generalized self defense platform designed to mitigate those criminal attacks which are considered commonplace today. I would prefer to never carry a gun, I am certainly no fan-boy and don't even really like guns. I do however enjoy the options that a firearm can offer toward preserving innocent life. As far as what scenario I had in mind when I decided on my everyday firearm.. it goes something like this:

One or Two badguys

lightly armed ( pistol, knife or bludgeon)

Close Range ( within 25 feet)

The who, what or why doesn't really matter.. the venue doesn't matter and neither does the time of day or night. I think that far too many people get all caught up in the ultra specifics of a potential danger which will likely never manifest. I simply want the option to put holes in things which threaten and endanger my life. Its not much deeper than that. The more holes the better but the overall question of capacity is going to be a negotiation between what I want and what I am actually willing to carry. To that end, I carry a 9mm BHP (13 rounds) + 1 extra mag in the winter and a G43 (7 rounds) + 1 extra mag in the summer. The extra magazine isn't really an ammo thing but rather a function thing. If I should suffer a catastrophic magazine failure, I simply want another one handy. Honestly though, I am perfectly fine with something like a 5 shot j-frame but revolvers just arnt my thing now a days. Currently with hand and joint pain ( some days worse than others), I shoot a semi auto much better than a DA revolver. Decades ago, it was the other way around but Father time has his way with all of us and some things have to change.
    G-man* and gatorbait51 like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

9/11 is coming up. This is a significant date to terrorist and wanna beís.

The building where I work is the building where the child protection agency is, and where the hand out food stamps.

I see see a lot of ragheads coming there for our milk and honey handouts. I do not trust any of them.

We take peopleís children from them, who are on drugs, criminals, and people who do not have a good thought process.

All of these things combined make me very aware, and that is my worst case scenario, especially since my wife and sister in law work there also. Everyday itís either a Colt Commander or G26, supplemented by a pocket gun, or vis versa as the situation dictates.

I dont concern myself to much or dwell on other things, or allow it to interfere with my simple, mundane, but extremely enjoyable existence.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    9/11 is coming up. This is a significant date to terrorist and wanna beís.

The building where I work is the building where the child protection agency is, and where the hand out food stamps.

I see see a lot of ragheads coming there for our milk and honey handouts. I do not trust any of them.

We take peopleís children from them, who are on drugs, criminals, and people who do not have a good thought process.

All of these things combined make me very aware, and that is my worst case scenario, especially since my wife and sister in law work there also. Everyday itís either a Colt Commander or G26, supplemented by a pocket gun, or vis versa as the situation dictates.

I dont concern myself to much or dwell on other things, or allow it to interfere with my simple, mundane, but extremely enjoyable existence.
    Those are not "rags" they are small sheets, correct terminology is "sheet-head".
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Normal carry is Sig P229 with one spare mag.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

6 Shot LCR 327 (Snubby) loaded with half 32 H&R Magnum and half Federal 327 with a couple of ammo strips in a fabric case. Now retired and smelling the roses along the way, 99% of my time outside is in a fenced back yard or strolling with my doggies in large adjacent fields. When I go into town however I carry a backup gun, a LC9S 7+1 9mm. If I will be sitting a lot (e.g., restaurant) when I am out, the backup is in an ankle holster.
    Gun Toting Fire Breathing Liberal

I used to be a huge capacity guy, still prefer more than less. That being said, I lost a bunch of weight and bought clothes that actually fit, like a respectable 31 year old man. When I was way overweight, wearing baggy 3XL shirts, I could carry a G17 and a couple spare mags no problem. Now that Iím 6í5 and fit comfortably into an XL shirt (almost a L), I have to carry a smaller gun.

For the past nearly year, Iíve been carrying a Ruger LCR exclusively. Itís only 5 shots. Sometimes I carry a speed strip, but not with the idea of reloading in a gun fight. More of the idea that if I have to empty my gun in a fight, once itís all said and done, I donít want to be hanging out with an empty gun until the boys in blue show up.

I could carry something like a Shield or a G43 most likely, but with the LCR, or another hammerless snub, the shape is just comfortable to carry. My preferred carry method is AIWB, and Iíve tried it with other small semi-autos, and itís very uncomfortable. Something about the rounded shape and soft edges of the revolver make it a dream to carry.

Is 5 shots enough? Who knows. Iíd avoid a fight all together. If I had to get into a fight, Iíd prefer to have my rifle. I want the most gun I can carry, but Iím a pretty low key guy. Iím not expecting to get into fights. Will it be enough? Not sure. Iíll tell you after itís all said and done.

When I do some traveling, like for instance if Iím spending the night away from home, out at a hotel, or something similar, Iíll pack my CZ Scorpion and a few spare mags just in case. That makes me feel better.

What's the round count that you carry, and do you base your round count on a certain defensive scenario.

No

Infantry training got me over "worst case scenario" anxiety real fast. You can't carry enough gear to plan for everything. Make the best plan you can, for the most likely course of action. Understand the most dangerous course of action. Train accordingly. Fast, violent, well trained response will go farther than 7 more rounds.
    OD*, M1911A1 and Wavygravy like this.
    Psalm 144:1

What ever you carry you don't want to run out of ammo before the fight is over. Reloading sucks in a gunfight from what I seen in FOF classes and I'd say it would suck even worst in real life fight.

Therefore the less you carry the more you need those that you do carry count with each trigger pull. You need to know where that round is going not just think you do. So the fewer rounds carried the better you need to be at hitting a target that counts

JMO
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links