Stupid Barroom Drunks -- Sheesh

This is a discussion on Stupid Barroom Drunks -- Sheesh within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight I was playing my usual early Friday night music gig at the local restaurant/bar. About 8:00, I was taking a break and went to ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Stupid Barroom Drunks -- Sheesh

Tonight I was playing my usual early Friday night music gig at the local restaurant/bar. About 8:00, I was taking a break and went to the bar to get a Diet Coke. Some very drunk guy comes up to me saying, "Hey, remember me? Huh?" He was close to my face so I just raised my hand up (the little open hand 'not now' gesture), and he came closer saying, "Whassa matter, old man? You don't like me?" I said, "You're in my space."
    His eyes narrowed and I could see the punch coming a mile away. I just leaned to the side, stepped back a pace, the fist went by wild and halfway spun him around. I had stepped back another step by now and was hoping for a peaceful end. He roared, lunged/staggered toward me and swung again, I ducked and moved again to his off-side.
    The bartender hollered, "I'm calling the police!"
    The dude looked confused that I wasn't in front of him again, stopped, muttered "(expletive) I'm drunk," and staggered out the door.
    I didn't have to do anything. Easy win -- no damage done, never even thought of the pistol in my pocket. Went back out and played another set.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Thatís why I drink at home, no idiots to put up with and I outgrew drinking to stupid over 40 years ago.
    OldVet, Cypher, airslot and 20 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Tonight I was playing my usual early Friday night music gig at the local restaurant/bar. About 8:00, I was taking a break and went to the bar to get a Diet Coke. Some very drunk guy comes up to me saying, "Hey, remember me? Huh?" He was close to my face so I just raised my hand up (the little open hand 'not now' gesture), and he came closer saying, "Whassa matter, old man? You don't like me?" I said, "You're in my space."
    His eyes narrowed and I could see the punch coming a mile away. I just leaned to the side, stepped back a pace, the fist went by wild and halfway spun him around. I had stepped back another step by now and was hoping for a peaceful end. He roared, lunged/staggered toward me and swung again, I ducked and moved again to his off-side.
    The bartender hollered, "I'm calling the police!"
    The dude looked confused that I wasn't in front of him again, stopped, muttered "(expletive) I'm drunk," and staggered out the door.
    I didn't have to do anything. Easy win -- no damage done, never even thought of the pistol in my pocket. Went back out and played another set.
    If you were covering Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up, I can see how a drunk might be enraged.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I'm sure your music was good, but that "play" was excellent!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I hate a mean drunk.
    Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  36.5 KB
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Working in a bar ensures you will meet the most quaint and colorful people! At least he didn't involve your instrument.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

This is slightly off topic, but your experience called to mind one of the most entertaining boxers of all time, arguably the best defensive fighter of all time. Argentine fighter Nicolino Locche had an amazing career of 136-4-14 and was the World Light Welterweight champ from 1968 to 1972. He was known as "The Untouchable," because he was so good at ducking and slipping punches. He made a show of it and would sometimes put his arms at his sides and his opponent still couldn't hit him. A movie came out about him this year, but I haven't been able to see it yet. Here is the teaser, a joy to watch.

Struckat, OldVet, Bad Bob and 6 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    Rick Astley was born in the part of Lancashire UK I am from. For some reason, he was on the radio a thousand times!

Hopefully the bar has video cams and can give you a nice recording of the event, maybe even at different angles
    viney266 likes this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Well, you shoulda remembered me, you teleporting punk.
    Wavygravy, scottync and matthew03 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

You do know that diet soda is killing you, right?
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    You do know that diet soda is killing you, right?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Glad it turned out well for you and no one got hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    This is slightly off topic, but your experience called to mind one of the most entertaining boxers of all time, arguably the best defensive fighter of all time. Argentine fighter Nicolino Locche had an amazing career of 136-4-14 and was the World Light Welterweight champ from 1968 to 1972. He was known as "The Untouchable," because he was so good at ducking and slipping punches. He made a show of it and would sometimes put his arms at his sides and his opponent still couldn't hit him. A movie came out about him this year, but I haven't been able to see it yet. Here is the teaser, a joy to watch.
    Very reminiscent of a young Ali. He had that same ability to slip punches. That skill faded in his later years, and he paid the price.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

It was easy to slip those punches last night. Drunks move in slow motion.
    hogdaddy, msgt/ret and viney266 like this.
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links