The assailant was carring a tazer.. then was shot dead - Page 4

The assailant was carring a tazer.. then was shot dead

This is a discussion on The assailant was carring a tazer.. then was shot dead within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet Guy goes after an armed officer, what do you think he would do to a mere, likely unarmed civie? He's been ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: The assailant was carring a tazer.. then was shot dead

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Guy goes after an armed officer, what do you think he would do to a mere, likely unarmed civie?
    He's been named. Wasn't then, of course. ;)

Turns out he was having episodes the previous day, saying disconnected things about his next mission, etc. Well heeled, lived in a very nice neighborhood, drove an expensive truck. Etc.

Meanwhile, the issue of his being shot dead in those circumstances very likely will be coming up again down the road.
    U.S. Marine Corps 1964 - 1968

U.S. Army 1969 - 1973

USCCA

The take-away?

Trying to taze a cop is not a brilliant move.
    OldChap likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Just a note: the perp had a stun gun, not a tazer. He's going to have to be nearly on top of you to use it. I don't know if anyone's opinion will change, but the dynamics of this situation are somewhat different.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    Threaten to do this to me, get drawn on.

There are any number of reasons why someone wouldn't allow themselves to tazed knowingly. I'll bet the collective brain power here can think of at least a dozen.
    msgt/ret, OldChap and CavemanBob like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sponsor
    Threaten to do this to me, get drawn on. If like above it was a stun gun, it has the same affect with the same charge as a tazer, many are more powerful than an leo tazer. The verdict is the same, you're not attempting to electro-shocking me without consequences. One would gain some advantage in being more readily able to escape the stun gun, maybe.

There are any number of reasons why someone wouldn't allow themselves to tazed knowingly. I'll bet the collective brain power here can think of at least a dozen.
    OD*, Texas Red, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Its hard to believe anyone thinks this cop over did it here. You don't go hand to hand with anyone at anytime who holds a weapon of any kind that can incapacitate you. That is the training and that is what he did. My POST academy training was raise the level of force above that presented to you not equal to. This guy already proved he could kill someone without thought so the game was changed anyway when he crashed through the wall. Of course we would try and evade but, barring that option its a good shoot either way, cop or not.
    OD*, AzQkr, Texas Red and 3 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Threaten to do this to me, get drawn on. If like above it was a stun gun, it has the same affect with the same charge as a tazer, many are more powerful than an leo tazer. The verdict is the same, you're not attempting to electro-shocking me without consequences. One would gain some advantage in being more readily able to escape the stun gun, maybe.

Loved that show, too bad we lost Mack.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Was the Officer correct in shooting? YES!!

Would I have done the same thing (as a civilian)?? YES!!

The guy (now dead) already engaged in lethal action (driving his truck through a crowded restaurant), and was still acting in an aggressive manner, regardless of the weapon he had (Taser vs Stun gun). He posed a continuing deadly threat to everyone.
    AzQkr, OD*, Texas Red and 5 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Good guy with a Gun= Good shoot!.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I never understood the attraction to Chick-fil-A , yuck 🤢
    Bless yall's pointy little hearts!
    msgt/ret and flh like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member
    I twice read the well written news article, which was refreshing in sight of some of the horrendous reporting we get today. There is absolutely no question in my mind that I would have shot the man, and I would have shot to kill. That is the point I want to make. I would have shot to kill. Why? Because death is the one sure way to stop an attacker.

I have read the numerous writings about the objective being incapacitation.. So those who accept that goal please answer the following questions:

1. Where ups aim to only incapacitate? Answer: you have to shoot for a lethal potentially lethal strike to have a chance of incapacitation.
    2. What constitutes incapacitation? Answer: when the person is rendered incapable of being a threat.
    3. How much time does a person take to become incapacitated after being shot? Answer: I do not know and I am not going to find out.

Self Defines laws stat that a person can use lethal force in self defense. Lethal means killing. The laws place no burden on the defensed to incapacitate. This incapacitation theory stems from the fear that some prosecutor will use a statement that you shot to kill against the shooter. Maybe so, and therefore I have an answer:

Counselor, the law provides for the use of lethal force in a situation as that which I encountered. Accordingly I shot with the full knowledge that shooting to kill was the strict application of lethal force. I did not seek to be in position where Imight have to kill someone. Fate thrust that situation on me. Accordingly, I applied the law in the act of defending myself.
    Bill MO likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Agree 1942bull.

Should the cop have shot? Yes

Would I have shot him as a civilian? Yes

Would I have shot to stop the threat? Yes by shooting into what is known as the kill zone. Doing so has been proven to be the most effective way to stop the threat. All this crap about, can't say the word 'kill' only can say 'to stop the threat' is allowed, is CP crap. To shoot a person in what's known as a kill zone (center chest or head) is taking a kill shot. Will taking that shot kill someone? Unknown factor (sometimes yes sometimes no). When you shoot the kill zone you have to know in your heart and head that ever shot may kill that person. Taking that shot does not mean you are shooting only to kill that person because that means you don't stop until that person is dead. So yes you stop with the stopping of the threat but it's done by shooting their 'kill zone'. A kill shot!

So do I shoot to kill? I shoot the kill zone to stop the threat knowing that it very well may kill! I DO NOT shoot a kill shot after the threat has ended.

So do I shoot to kill? (It depends) not on where or how I shoot, but by God's will!
    1942bull likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I find death as 100% incapacitating. Prove me wrong.
    OD* and Risasi like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Here's the thing..... if the officer was the only one who confronted him, and if that officer had been knocked out or put under control of the perp with the tazer, then guess what? The perp would have then possibly had the officer's gun. And as we can all deduce, a man crazy enough to drive his truck through the walls of the restaurant is likely crazy enough to unload that gun on random restaurant patrons.

So all things considered, I think the officer did the right thing, especially since he gave the perp more than adequate warning.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I find death as 100% incapacitating. Prove me wrong.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links