Where do you carry your wallet?

This is a discussion on Where do you carry your wallet? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to carry my wallet in my right rear pocket for years, but I stopped doing that when I started carrying a firearm. There ...

View Poll Results: Where do you carry your wallet?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't carry a wallet.

1 0.81%
  • Back/rear pocket, primary/strong side

29 23.39%
  • Back pocket, support side

42 33.87%
  • Front pocket/slash pocket, primary/strong side

11 8.87%
  • Front pocket, support side

26 20.97%
  • Cargo pocket, primary/strong side

4 3.23%
  • Cargo pocket, support side

4 3.23%
  • Purse

4 3.23%
  • Fanny pack

0 0%
  • Other

3 2.42%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Where do you carry your wallet?

I used to carry my wallet in my right rear pocket for years, but I stopped doing that when I started carrying a firearm. There were a couple of reasons for this. Initially, it was because our first firearms instructor suggested that reaching back to pull a wallet from behind you might be misconstrued if you were stopped by a peace officer and asked to produce identification. He suggested carrying my wallet in a cargo pocket in the front, which I thought was not a bad idea. I also found that not sitting on a wallet on a long drive was more comfortable than having one in a rear pocket.

More recently I have switched from carrying my wallet on the same side (primary/strong side) as my firearm to carrying it on my support side cargo pocket. My cell phone is in my primary side cargo pocket, my wallet in my support side cargo pocket, and my pistol may be AIWB or primary side slant pocket. My rationale here is that it might give me a slight opportunity to draw if confronted by a bad guy. Obviously, this is not the answer in all circumstances, but I think it might give you a moment of distraction in some situations.

I know that some people have a "throw-down" money clip that they carry with a small amount of cash that they carry to distract a bad guy. That's not a bad strategy, in my humble opinion, but I only know one person who does that.

I'm interested in hearing from others if the location of your wallet on your person plays into your self defense strategy.
    forester58 and surefire7 like this.
    So many weapons, so little time.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

We are ALL Virginians!

Left front pocket for me for quite a while now. I use a small bi-fold recycled firefighter about the dimensions of a credit card. I usually have a quick strip for my 642 and a clip on knife in the right front pocket.
    Everything else including spare mag(s) has migrated to the belt. Leatherman, Streamlight, Ka-Bar TDI, Another quick strip in a belt pouch right side if I am carrying the revolver. Sometimes a speedloader on the right side as well when I carry AIWB. Reaching for a back pocket wallet while armed did seem like a bad idea.
    My wife gives me grief about my "Bat belt" though.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    For reasons mentioned above by others, for decades I would switch from right rear to left rear annually.
    When in a crowded place with an increased chance of a pickpocket it moved to a front pocket.
    Now, I primarily wear cargo pants and the wallet is in left cargo pocket. Easier in the car at the drive-thru.
    Plus, now that I carry, it's on the opposite side from my weapon should a LEO ask for my ID (hasn't happened. I pay as much attention to traffic laws as firearm laws). If wearing Wranglers it's left rear pocket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Same here. Minimalist wallet that contains, and can only contain, about 6-8 cards/DL/permit in total. Left front pocket along with a money clip that sadly, is never overloaded, and a reload. When I pocket carry, and thatís often, thatís in the right front pocket with nothing else but a holster. Left rear open for phone carry, right rear is for bandana and knife. Never leave home without a clean handkerchief or bandana (for those of us in that generation). The young dudes that I work with are fairly certain that I carry a piece of cloth in my pocket with snot and mucus all over it. Not at all true. Among other things, I clean my glasses with the bandana. Theyíre good for many many things but theyíre compromised if snot laden.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

flh
    Back pocket support side , there is no reason as to why other it's the side I chose when I started to carry a wallet.

Being married my wallet hasn't had money in it ever

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

I've had my wallet in my right rear pocket for as long as I can remember. I don't see any reason to change that now that I carry. If I were stopped for a traffic violation I would sit with my hands on the wheel and in sight till the officer got to my window. When he asked for my ID I would inform him that I was licensed and armed and take my cues from him after that. I sure wouldn't want to be reaching for my wallet and have him catch a glimpse of my weapon unexpectedly.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Agree G26. I've carried front pocket since I was a kid. Never liked sitting on the wallet.
    G26Raven likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Back pocket strong side. I put the wallet in front left pocket, weak side, when traveling. I have been pick pocketed in South America before and now don't trust walking in any crowds.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Front pocket, strong side unless pocket carrying. Then the wallet is moved to front pocket weak side. I use a billfold style money clip wallet. With no extra leather to form a cash pouch, it keeps it nice and thin for the front.
    G26Raven likes this.

Nod
    Back pocket, support side, front pocket when in a crowd and when traveling, front pocket with a rubber band around it and a money belt.
    G26Raven likes this.

No option for a murse?
    forester58 likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    No option for a murse?
    Is that similar to a tactical clutch bag for formal wear?
    LimaCharlie and OD* like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator

Front pocket strong side.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I used to carry a wallet in my right rear pocket. Back problems were so bad I went to a chiropractor. I lift very heavy so I thought this was causing it, but she told me it was the wallet. She said that wallets in the rear pocket throw your posture off and she saw many patients with this same issue. Switched to front pocket (itís a Tumi money clip) and havenít had back issues since.
    OD* and ShooterGramps like this.

Minimalist wallet with 3 cards & ID in shirt pocket. Not a poll choice?
    JAG45 likes this.
    Monte

"I'll huff and I'll puff ...woah! Nice shotgun. Umm. Look at the time! Should have been home hours ago! Wife will be frantic. Nice meeting you. Bye, bye now!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links