The mindset of millennials - Page 2

The mindset of millennials

This is a discussion on The mindset of millennials within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had twenty sets of aunts and uncles born in the south in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Most of them quit school from ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: The mindset of millennials

I had twenty sets of aunts and uncles born in the south in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Most of them quit school from the 8th. grade to the 10th. grade and grew up on farms. They had better educations than most college students today. Only a very few of the youngest got a college degree. They were all successful adults.
    flh, airslot, msgt/ret and 10 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I had twenty sets of aunts and uncles born in the south in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Most of them quit school from the 8th. grade to the 10th. grade and grew up on farms. They had better educations than most college students today. Only a very few of the youngest got a college degree. They were all successful adults.
    That's impossible! There is no way to get ahead in this world without a degree in __insert special niche identity here__ Studies.

You are clearly misremembering!

(just being a smart ass..... )

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Of course, we should never make the mistake of comparing the educations received by students prior to about 1960 with the educations being delivered to students today. A quick Google search will connect you with typical tests administered to students years ago, and I doubt that most college graduates today could pass the exams in English, math, US or world history, or other subjects.

Simply put, the typical 8th grader pre-WW2 had far greater knowledge in core subjects than most of today's college graduates. Of course, today's students and graduates have far stronger opinions on a wider range of topics and their little self-esteemers are more than fully developed.

My mother-in-law was a teacher for decades, having graduated from a 2-year teaching college just after WW2. The lady spoke and read 3 languages and was capable of teaching English (grammar, composition, etc), Spanish, French, and mathematics (algebra, calculus, probabilities & statistics) at levels that very few grad students today could keep up with.

My niece is a teacher today, having graduated from a 4-year program in the 1990's and subsequently obtaining a master's degree in education. Her writing is terrible, her spelling is atrocious, she can't deal with fractions or decimals to save herself (nor can she balance a checkbook or calculate simple interest), but she knows everything about "education theory" and building positive self-image. She will probably run for the school board when she retires soon, rather than allow her extensive knowledge and experience to go to waste.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Nix
    flh, OldChap, MMinSC and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Simply put, the typical 8th grader pre-WW2 had far greater knowledge in core subjects than most of today's college graduates. Of course, today's students and graduates have far stronger opinions on a wider range of topics and their little self-esteemers are more than fully developed.
    The earlier 8th graders knew how to calculate. The 8th graders today know how to use a calculator. Heck, I wasn't even allowed to use my fingers on a math test. Today you're expected to have a top-tier calculator and use it. The simple test is to ask a cashier to give you change without reading the register.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I love the look of disbelief cashiers have when I make a purchase and hand them the exact change to include the tax, and I did not use a calculator or pencil and paper.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Nix
    Is there an app for that?
    flh, M1911A1, Sister and 1 others like this.

flh
    I'll never understand this ,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The mindset of millennials-img_2107.jpg  

msgt/ret, M1911A1, Sister and 2 others like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Thanks to leftists, our Republic is probably doomed. The Founding Fathers told us exactly what to do to keep it, but too many ignored that directive. Sad.
    M1911A1, MMinSC, OD* and 2 others like this.

I stopped at a restaurant for breakfast a couple of days ago. There were six young women at a table next to me. All six had their iPhones out and were showing, comparing, and critiquing selfies of themselves for over a half-hour. I could tell what they looked like by just looking at them.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

In that chart on generation and education, I don't see categories for "real life experience," "military service" or "The School of Hard Knocks." What does formal education have to do with perception of safety from crime?

I also agree with the previous observation that it is not just millennials. Millennials are getting these ideas mostly from boomer professors, politicians and journalists. There is a pervasive soft-headedness in our society that says, "I can't, or am too lazy to, provide what I think I need and want, so government should do it. There is plenty of money around, so spend some of it on me, for the simple reason that I am breathing and I want it."
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    In that chart on generation and education, I don't see categories for "real life experience," "military service" or "The School of Hard Knocks." What does formal education have to do with perception of safety from crime?

I also agree with the previous observation that it is not just millennials. Millennials are getting these ideas mostly from boomer professors, politicians and journalists. There is a pervasive soft-headedness in our society that says, "I can't, or am too lazy to, provide what I think I need and want, so government should do it. There is plenty of money around, so spend some of it on me, for the simple reason that I am breathing and I want it."
    Ka-bingo! My generation did a poor job of preparing children for the real world. Our parents early years sucked so badly that they did everything they could to shield us from things they had to deal with. The result is a generation with a high percentage of pollyannas. This is by no means universal (our military kicks ass!), but it's all too often true. The weaklings gravitate toward professions that have a largely theoretical basis (schoolteaching, law, ...) and pass these issues along. We reap the result.
    jmf552, M1911A1, baren and 2 others like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

I taught my Millennial boys well. They have great tastes in beer, whiskey, women and tobacco. Oh yeah, they both love their jobs.
    msgt/ret, flh, MMinSC and 5 others like this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yeah, but one has to consider that millinneals are spoon fed a really dumbed down and touchy-feely curriculum. Educational attainment is defined downward as they are shoved out of the schoolhouse door, be it high school or college.
    Mathematics is now being "dumbed down" at all levels, under the guise of...............wait for it.................RACISM!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I love the look of disbelief cashiers have when I make a purchase and hand them the exact change to include the tax, and I did not use a calculator or pencil and paper.

or, the frightened look on their face when the bill is $4.08 and you hand them a 5 dollar bill and and a dime. I've had someone give me the "dime" back and tell me that was too much.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links