The mindset of millennials - Page 4

The mindset of millennials

This is a discussion on The mindset of millennials within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LimaCharlie I have told a young person at the LGS that a full signature is required on the form 4473. He asked ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: The mindset of millennials

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I have told a young person at the LGS that a full signature is required on the form 4473. He asked if it included his middle name. He had to check his driver's license to spell his middle name and then he printed his name because he was not taught cursive.
    The employee should have shredded the 4473 and put the gun back on the shelf. However, I think cursive is stupid.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    The employee should have shredded the 4473 and put the gun back on the shelf. However, I think cursive is stupid.
    I disagree; I find cursive very elegant and a pleasure to read. I had an English teacher who graded on penmanship and his handwriting was comparable to something written on a script typewriter.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

My question: Is there anything that says one's signature must be in cursive? Heck, maybe I can't write at all and just leave my X on the signature line, or being a newer generation never learned cursive and sign by printing. Who or what is to say any manner of "signature" is not legal?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I am a very shallow man.
    I do judge people by how they dress and their grammar and penmanship.
    You do not need to wear expensive clothes, but they need to be clean and well pressed.
    How we write shows a certain pride in how we want people to view us.
    CWOUSCG, M1911A1, Sister and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I am a very shallow man.
    I do judge people by how they dress and their grammar and penmanship.
    You do not need to wear expensive clothes, but they need to be clean and well pressed.
    How we write shows a certain pride in how we want people to view us.
    I bet my baggy shorts and wrinkled T-shirts year 'round are just killin' you!
    KILTED COWBOY and Sister like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My question: Is there anything that says one's signature must be in cursive? Heck, maybe I can't write at all and just leave my X on the signature line, or being a newer generation never learned cursive and sign by printing. Who or what is to say any manner of "signature" is not legal?
    The thing about a cursive signature is that it's much harder to fake.
    Banks, particularly, like that feature.

For instance, I've noted that as I get older and older, my signature changes. Not only from year to year, but sometimes from minute to minute.
    But I've also noticed that there are certain "features" of my cursive signature which never change.
    Someone who is used to my handwriting could always tell, from day to day and year to year, whether or not it's my unique signature.

The same is not in any way as true about the way that I print my messages.
    I print my correspondence because my handwriting is atrocious. But anybody with decent hand control could copy my hand-printing, and fake a message from "me."
    I also hand-print my checks, and therefore they, too, would be easy to fake.
    In those cases, the faked cursive signature would give things away.

You'll understand better after you've seen the Christmas card I'll be sending you.
    Pete63 likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I disagree; I find cursive very elegant and a pleasure to read. I had an English teacher who graded on penmanship and his handwriting was comparable to something written on a script typewriter.
    Some people have neat cursive, some people have sloppy cursive. Aside from being able to read important historical documents I think itís something that is no longer relevant. Sure it can look nice, but I canít think of the last time Iíve used it.
    We get the government we deserve.

I work with people like the ones quoted in the article. A couple of them are even vets of the air force. Heck, there was one 2 week deployment I did, that I worked with a guy who was in his early 30s, with a similar viewpoint. He at least woke up, when he and I went out for a few drinks, and before he realized it, it was him, me, and a couple Russians were all that were left in the outdoor bar, and they were asking us to stay out with them to help them finish their Vodka. All of a sudden, he realized why I had been being careful, keeping an eye on everything around us, and making my drink last well over an hour. Since I joined the army, and traveled to exotic distant lands, I haven't had that mindset. I did growing up, but that was 30+ years ago, in a small farming town. I think a lot of the "I'm safe everywhere" thought process is that those people were sheltered, and never taught or shown that the world is a dangerous place.
    As far as the cursive discussion, I think it's still relevant. Granted, I only use it now for signing documents.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    ..Iím passing out Tide-Pods for Halloween, millennials favorite!
    Wish I had thought of that! I'll keep that in mind for next year.
    Sister likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

My cursive writing was always terrible. No matter how many times the nuns whacked my knuckles with a ruler I never got the hang of it. When I was in college, way before computers, I always printed my notes as even I couldn't read my own cursive writing. So maybe I'm a little more sympathetic to those who think learning cursive is unnecessary.

As far as signatures go I was always under the impression that your signature is whatever it is even if it looks like a scrawl it's still your signature. No one would be able to decipher what my name is from my signature, but that doesn't matter as it's still my unique scrawl.
    The Old Anglo and Havok like this.

My cursive was never very good, but ever since I was a scuba instructor having to sign log books endlessly, my signature is near unreadable, an A+ in doctor scribble. And it is different every time. Knowing this, I get a sense of anxiety every time I sign my name, I can get my first name down okay, but then lose control writing my last name.
    msgt/ret, JAG45, Sister and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    Mathematics is now being "dumbed down" at all levels, under the guise of...............wait for it.................RACISM!!!!!!!!!!!
    uhhh...no.

I"m a college level CS prof in a Math and CS department. That comment is 100% wrong.

The stuff taught at my little university is the equivalent of the stuff I took for my double CS and Math degree in school 35+ years ago. The only substantive difference is that some of the grunt work is off-loaded to software. Big whoop - software to do 3-dimensional graphs better and faster than the stuff I hand drew.

In isolated circumstances that are a few nutcakes, not mathematicians, that are pushing idiotic things like "math is racist". That is 1% of 1% of 1%. Paint a door on a wall and someone will line up there. So what?
    Last edited by codan; November 7th, 2019 at 09:38 AM.
    M1911A1 and rotorhead1026 like this.

My father, an orthopedic surgeon who went straight from medical school to the US Navy in 1944 (USS Repose in the S. Pacific 1945), won awards for his penmanship. Palmer's Method. Very unlike most doctors.
    msgt/ret, Wolf357, Pete63 and 1 others like this.

This thread says more about the mindset of boomers than anything

Am trying to buy a house through a millennial broker & she doesnt even return my calls for at least 3 hours, every time I call.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links