The mindset of millennials - Page 5

The mindset of millennials

This is a discussion on The mindset of millennials within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by msgt/ret I disagree; I find cursive very elegant and a pleasure to read. I had an English teacher who graded on penmanship ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: The mindset of millennials

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I disagree; I find cursive very elegant and a pleasure to read. I had an English teacher who graded on penmanship and his handwriting was comparable to something written on a script typewriter.
    My mother's penmanship was close to museum quality art work. I've saved any number of notes and other writings, just because I love the way she wrote. A lot of it was with a fountain pen, which I believe can't be equaled.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

GEEZ, what a bunch of grumpy old farts! back in the year 1852, someone was saying the kids nowadays are worthless and the world's going to hell. this thread has degenerated all the way down to complaining about cursive. i mean.....cursive?

once we left the discussion about kids with no common sense being raped and murdered, i've been laughing my ***** off. and i'm a grumpy old fart....!
    craze likes this.

VIP Member
    It's not the generation, it's the parents and the kids.

It's a Friday night on Thanksgiving break, and my daughter went to meet a friend to do some studying for AP bio. And she's "Gen Z."

The term "sad sack" was applied to the slacker GI's of the "Greatest Generation."

And lots of millennials signed up for service and were in Afghanistan and Iraq after 9/11.

A "generation" is merely an abstraction invented to apply to a post-generational narrative.

It's crap.

Judge each person individually. If you don't, you'll get burned, and you'll deserve it.
    rotorhead1026, craze and M1911A1 like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I have told a young person at the LGS that a full signature is required on the form 4473. He asked if it included his middle name. He had to check his driver's license to spell his middle name and then he printed his name because he was not taught cursive.
    Now think about that. Who's to blame? The young person that was never taught cursive, or the "Baby Boomers" that decided the curriculum?

Sounds like the older generation failed here.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Some people have neat cursive, some people have sloppy cursive. Aside from being able to read important historical documents I think itís something that is no longer relevant. Sure it can look nice, but I canít think of the last time Iíve used it.
    It's faster than printing.

Cursive can be really sloppy when you think of the word as you write. When you print, you think of each letter as you write it. When you think of each individual letter, your cursive improves significantly.

Try it. Pick a multi-syllable word, say, vacation, or some other word.

Write the word in cursive and think only of the word.

Then write the word in cursive and think of each letter as you write.

Compare.
    msgt/ret, MMinSC and M1911A1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

Cursive can be really sloppy when you think of the word as you write. When you print, you think of each letter as you write it. When you think of each individual letter, your cursive improves significantly.

Compare.
    Itís faster than printing but typing is faster than both. Everything is typed these days. Computers are brought into classrooms and notes are taken on laptops and tablets. Important documents are printed out, with the only cursive being the signature at the bottom. You are right that cursive is faster than print, but it has been made obsolete in that sense so I donít see it as a valid argument for teaching cursive.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Damn, I sound like a cranky old man......
    Itís good to have goals.
    Nix, airslot, M1911A1 and 1 others like this.

Compare.
    The difference between my writing in print and in cursive is you can read the former but can barely, if at all, read the latter.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The difference between my writing in print and in cursive is you can read the former but can barely, if at all, read the latter.
    Way back in the dark ages when I was in college I used to print my class notes because I couldn't read my own cursive writing later.

Those nuns rapping my knuckles in elementary school never improved my cursive. Lord knows they tried.

I don't have a problem with cursive not being taught anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Dunno.......looks like the Millenials are better educated than we give them credit for.......

Or is schoolin' just not the same anymore....?
    I just went to college at the age of 52 and ultimately earned a Masters degree by the age of 58. I can say with certainty that schoolin ain't the same as it was. History ain't the same as I learned it. The one constant? 0-9 are still the same. That's about it. It's soo much easier than the learning I was made to do in the 60's-70's.
    airslot, Nix and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My question: Is there anything that says one's signature must be in cursive? Heck, maybe I can't write at all and just leave my X on the signature line, or being a newer generation never learned cursive and sign by printing. Who or what is to say any manner of "signature" is not legal?
    As long as there's a witness that sees the pen to paper anything goes. I just picked up a new handgun today. Had the dreaded full signature to write. I scribbled a long line with two spaces and the dealer said 'good enough"!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Compare.
    I actually tried this while paying some bills tonight, much more fluid and readable.
    M1911A1 and PEF like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I had twenty sets of aunts and uncles born in the south in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Most of them quit school from the 8th. grade to the 10th. grade and grew up on farms. They had better educations than most college students today. Only a very few of the youngest got a college degree. They were all successful adults.
    The 8th grade was the highest grade mandated for a long time here in Iowa. Kids had to work on the farm not laze the day away book lernin. I had a boss in the construction company I worked at that never went past the 8th grade. He could do trig and calculus in his head. Very educated man, an ass to work for, but I respected him greatly even though I hated him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    My mother's penmanship was close to museum quality art work. I've saved any number of notes and other writings, just because I love the way she wrote. A lot of it was with a fountain pen, which I believe can't be equaled.
    My MIL wrote everything in calligraphy also. It was a pleasure to look at. Artwork actually.
    Pete63 and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    My MIL wrote everything in calligraphy also. It was a pleasure to look at. Artwork actually.
    My maternal grandmother learned penmanship in Austria, before her family emigrated to the US.
    She could write in both Spencerian (English) script and in Fraktur (German) script, and both were a pleasure to the eye.

She tried to get me to learn to write in Fraktur script, while my mother tried to get me to write Spencerian style, and neither one of them "took." It wasn't their fault. I just was too busy thinking about what I was writing, to be able to do elegant script.

I print.
    Well, all but my scrawl of a signature, anyway.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links