The mindset of millennials

This is a discussion on The mindset of millennials within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So there was a knife attack on Florida State University campus. I was reading through the article, and seeing and knowing where it happened was ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: The mindset of millennials

So there was a knife attack on Florida State University campus. I was reading through the article, and seeing and knowing where it happened was interested.

https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Stu...564065601.html

Then I saw these comments....

FSU student Justus Hooker said, "That actually was surprising because who would've thought that someone would be bold enough to come on a campus full of students, 40,000 students, and just start robbing."

FSU student Sarah Eva added, "I was very surprised because walking around campus, I feel totally safe. I'm usually not concerned about those things."

I personally feel ok walking around campus, and many other places, but I wouldn't be surprised at this. I wouldn't be surprised today or 25 years ago. When I went to school here, we didn't have the little phones or "safe places" marked. At 18, I walked a lot around parts of Tallahassee. Maybe I was a little paranoid back then, but knowing who and what was around you was a subconscious awareness. I've walked through much worse places during my life, including SW DC. You don't have to be in fear all the time, but to think you're just safe in places by default, is naive.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    In a perfect world there would be no need for "safe spaces".
    Since we do not live in a perfect world, everyone should have a means to defend yourself.
    Some people are clueless as to their surroundings
    ETXhiker, sdprof, OldChap and 3 others like this.

Ex Member
    “Naive” seems to kind a word for such feelings. The students are talking feelings. What they should be doing is thinking not feeling. Feeling safe is not being safe. Being safe requires thought processes whether you want to be safe from violence, a car accident, falling down steps, or any other possible cause of harm. I see a lack of thought process in many younger people. That is a result of inadequate education, mindless social communication which lead to a decline in self awareness because on reality.
    ETXhiker, Nifty, sdprof and 13 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

That's a good observation.

Nix
    Dunno.......looks like the Millenials are better educated than we give them credit for.......

Or is schoolin' just not the same anymore....?

Nix
    What is more concerning is the belief that government is the answer to everything.......

I think they tried that in Russia back in 1917.....but that would have been before the Millenials were born and not currently discussed on Vox or Vice or the latest 'news' outlet on Facebook....

Nix
    Damn, I sound like a cranky old man......
    OD*, scottync, M1911A1 and 4 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, but one has to consider that millinneals are spoon fed a really dumbed down and touchy-feely curriculum. Educational attainment is defined downward as they are shoved out of the schoolhouse door, be it high school or college.
    msgt/ret, Nix, OldChap and 9 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Second chart only validates the premise of dumbed-down. Let 'em gain the experience of going to the school of life for a decade or two and their notion of what the government can and should do will change.
    Nix, OldChap, msgt/ret and 9 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Education does not equate to knowledge.
    These kids are leaving high school, actually graduating high school with 8th grade reading comprehension.
    Take a look at the courses being offered at colleges in the liberal arts department. Your head would spin.
    Are they graduating college with a liberal arts degree or science and technology.
    The devil is in the details. Polls are misleading.
    Many Millennials I encounter at work do not know how to work independently, they need constant supervision to stay on track
    No problem solving skills.

It's not just millennials. I find that to be the mindset of people in general. Otherwise, everyone would be carrying a gun. The eternal "Things like that don't happen here" syndrome.
    bmcgilvray, OldChap, flh and 16 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    A stabbing on a college campus? What a great opportunity to live-stream a video from my new smart-phone!

Nix

OK, not funny.....
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I'll add that when I went to FSU in the 90s, anyone with a brain knew the campus was dangerous at night - it's a few blocks from a low rent area, and there were multiple rapes and muggins on campus every year (besides the one's perpetrated by the football team).

That said, I work with a millennial, and he matches the stereotype very well. He tries hard, but just isn't very well equipped for military service.

The most fervent hope of many "professors" today is that upon entering the lecture hall every student will turn their brains off and enter an alpha wave state, thereby taking everything said as absolute gospel truth.

I have regularly counseled parents seeking advice on a quality place of "higher education" for their kids, to go sit in a few classes and pay close attention. A great many came back and said they were appalled.

Surveys and studies on education??? One must remember that most of the so-called "studies" are conducted by people whose idea of mathematics is 1+1=dope party.

Do I sound bitter? You bet! One of the great things about American institutions of higher education used to be their ability to graduate kids who could make a difference in their world. Today they graduate indoctrinated imbeciles whose only contribution is to a state of higher idiocy.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links