Denny's murder; compliance doesn't always work - Page 2

Denny's murder; compliance doesn't always work

This is a discussion on Denny's murder; compliance doesn't always work within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jmf552 Makes sense. I would like to read the reference if you have it. I'm curious about the limits of the first ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Denny's murder; compliance doesn't always work

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Makes sense. I would like to read the reference if you have it. I'm curious about the limits of the first two. My questions are:
    • Does it have to be armed robbery? Or could you shoot if some guy said, "Give me your wallet, or I will knock you out?"
    • Does the burglary have to be in a house or building you own? And do you have to be in that space or can you be outside it looking in, like an out-building?
    No. Robbery is theft with the implied or actual threat of violence against the victim. As for shooting someone who is robbing you, that's going to be up to the individual being robbed.

Generally burglary is the illegal entry into a dwelling at night. I imagine this would mean one's home. If you are outside of the residence when it is being burgled, there probably is no threat to you.
    gatorbait51 and GpTom like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

If you are outside of the residence when it is being burgled, there probably is no threat to you.
    I don't know Virginia law, but in Arkansas, it only has to be on your property, inside or outside doesn't matter. As far as being no threat simply by being outside, I challenge that statement.
    msgt/ret, gatorbait51 and airslot like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    two things that never work when it comes to thugs........................compliance & appeasement.
    Which is why today there is no Neville Chamberlain Royal College of Winning Diplomacy in the UK.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I don't know Virginia law, but in Arkansas, it only has to be on your property, inside or outside doesn't matter. As far as being no threat simply by being outside, I challenge that statement.
    I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I was speaking about burglary. Burglary does not occur outside. That would be robbery, or something along those lines. As far as an imminent threat of serous bodily harm, it doesn't matter where you are when that happens as long as you are the innocent party.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Always sit in a restaurant with a view of the door. Make sure you're not in a booth, jammed against the wall and unable to get to your gun.
    GpTom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Always sit in a restaurant with a view of the door. Make sure you're not in a booth, jammed against the wall and unable to get to your gun.
    If I waited for a "door-view" seat in a restaurant around here, I may be in for a long wait. Life is too short to die of starvation waiting for the ideal seat. Booths offer better concealment for a subtle draw. I got over it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If I waited for a "door-view" seat in a restaurant around here, I may be in for a long wait. Life is too short to die of starvation waiting for the ideal seat. Booths offer better concealment for a subtle draw. I got over it.
    You have to quit eating dinner at 3:30pm with everyone else. Live a little and eat at 5:00.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    You have to quit eating dinner at 3:30pm with everyone else. Live a little and eat at 5:00.
    I'm more the 8:00 - 9:00 PM dinner type. Crowds have thinned out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm more the 8:00 - 9:00 PM dinner type. Crowds have thinned out.
    Ugh. Bedtime is 8:30.
    forester58 and Rockymonster like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Yeah, me too. Up for work at 0330.
    graydude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Yeah, me too. Up for work at 0330.

Bedtime @ 9:30pm, wake up time @ 3:00am. (Don't get home from work till 7:20pm)

life is good! 🙂
    forester58 likes this.

My definition of "compliance" is keeping a low profile and not drawing attention to oneself until a workable plan can be effectively carried out. Survival, as always, is the primary objective, and passivity is not a viable option.

Someone said compliance "never" works. Of course we know that absolute is false. When a person has no other means by which to resist, compliance is the only option. I have no idea of the statistical success, but I'd wager it is well above 50%.

Let's say compliance has a 80% survivability rate. My brain won't gamble on 20%. There are also many other scenarios where less than lethal threats set out to cause harm with more than 90% assurance. Those cases are why I learned to defend myself. That training and preparation gives one the tools to survive a potentially lethal, criminal encounter like the OP. Add defensive firearm training, and you have options. Every level of defensive preparedness adds to your survival odds.

Without options, compliance might be the best, if only tool. And you have a better than 50/50 chance of survival. Good luck.
    Frodebro and TSKnight like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links