Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[COPY]Standards of Marksmanship[COPY]

6K views 99 replies 40 participants last post by  nj709 
#1 ·
In the wake of the Texas church shooting, a lot has been said about the hero, Jack Wilson, and how he was able to take out the shooter in six seconds. One thing not seemingly covered was that one of the dead men was shot trying to pull his own weapon. That was 3.1 seconds. So, how long is 3.1 seconds? Six seconds? Do you think you could react the way Wilson did?

Here's a very interesting and informative video showing what Wilson had to do, how fast, and is instructional for all of us.

#78 ·
Nope. As I said he shoots for team Sig. He is WAY better than I have ever been.

If you know who the Sig team captain is a video was posted a year or so ago of the feat on his facebook page.
Wow.....

#79 ·
Nope. As I said he shoots for team Sig. He is WAY better than I have ever been.

If you know who the Sig team captain is a video was posted a year or so ago of the feat on his facebook page.
I checked out a few of his vids. Very impressive!

#81 ·
It's my video linked in the OP.

I will fund my retirement taking the money of someone who says they can put 9-11 shots in a 3" group at 30 yards in 3 seconds. I will double it and give them 6 seconds. Rob Leatham MIGHT be able to do that in 6 seconds...but I doubt it. Some rando on gun fora? Nope.

#83 ·
Practiced often and often daily hit the range at the end of the day. In our line of work, no one will be shooting at you at 7 yrds.... they see us and are going to shoot, more likely start shooting at us 100-200 ft away and trying to get a way as fast as they could, if they could. So, yes... accurate, fast and distance, was all necessary ... and practiced a lot . Speed is also about getting on target fast, which is where the point shooting came in ... not much like what they teach today ..... and not spending time at all to get on target.

It's all about method, learning, and practicing and getting better and better was you go . Again, if you can't do some of that ... work on it ... you'll get there.

NO.. it was not "one" shot at 90 ft (30 yrds). ... several.

The mindset many display here is "no one can do that " ...... says you have already convinced yourself to not even try nor work to be able to do it .... shame..... you have already convinced yourself you can't.

#84 ·
I read that the first person killed said something to the BG as he pulled his weapon, something like put the gun down. That attracted the attention of the BG who turned just a little and shot the good guy as he was still pulling his gun. The GG should have said nothing until he had his gun ready to go.

#85 ·
Practiced often and often daily hit the range at the end of the day. In our line of work, no one will be shooting at you at 7 yrds.... they see us and are going to shoot, more likely start shooting at us 100-200 ft away and trying to get a way as fast as they could, if they could. So, yes... accurate, fast and distance, was all necessary ... and practiced a lot . Speed is also about getting on target fast, which is where the point shooting came in ... not much like what they teach today ..... and not spending time at all to get on target.

It's all about method, learning, and practicing and getting better and better was you go . Again, if you can't do some of that ... work on it ... you'll get there.

The mindset many display here is "no one can do that " ...... says you have already convinced yourself to not even try nor work to be able to do it .... shame..... you have already convinced yourself you can't.
Out of curiosity, what kind of job do you have that requires you to be regularly shot at from distances of 100-200' and then have to return fire with a sidearm?

#87 ·
Regarding standards, these are credited to John Hearne. And are pretty good goals to strive for

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
While it is helpful to know one's own reactions and preparing one's firarms skills, a huge impact on the outcome of any fight is the aggressiveness that is used by an individual. Take a fist fight of two individuals of about the same physical abilities, the more aggressive one will almost always win.

#88 ·

You remind me of a friend that I used to drag race with. After he quit as time went on he would tell stories about the good old days. Problem was he kept getting faster and winning more as time went on.

#89 ·
One reason I learned to make 300 yrd shots with a revolver , was after being shot at by people who were 200-300 yrds away with a rifle ... I wanted to work until I shoot back accurately. As far as the rest .. 90 ft (30 yrds) is not a big deal ... ya'all seem to think it is, but if you practice it's not.
When you say you can make a 300yd shot with a revolver the impassion you give is with a carry piece not a scoped hunting revolver. What are you shooting with? I'd assume a 6" open sight, what cal? That said I would love to see you hit steel at 300 yds with a revolver, and I don't mean just once. Once is lucky, twice is a fluke, 3 times is skill.

As for hitting at 30 yds, that's easy. I used to compete shooting plates at 25 yds, out another 5 is no big deal. We shot various sizes with the smallest being 6" - 5 plates in 30 seconds was the most challenging. I was young and didn't know time management so I missed a lot! To hit them in the time and grouping you state would be interesting to see.

The you two decide where/when let us know and be sure it has a 300 yd range. :smile:

#93 ·
When you say you can make a 300yd shot with a revolver the impassion you give is with a carry piece not a scoped hunting revolver. What are you shooting with? I'd assume a 6" open sight, what cal? That said I would love to see you hit steel at 300 yds with a revolver, and I don't mean just once. Once is lucky, twice is a fluke, 3 times is skill.

As for hitting at 30 yds, that's easy. I used to compete shooting plates at 25 yds, out another 5 is no big deal. We shot various sizes with the smallest being 6" - 5 plates in 30 seconds was the most challenging. I was young and didn't know time management so I missed a lot! To hit them in the time and grouping you state would be interesting to see.The you two decide where/when let us know and be sure it has a 300 yd range. :smile:
Here comes the sarcasim of disbelief again. Have you ever tried and worked on being able to do it ? Really don't care what anyone believes, I know what I can do and have done many times. No scopes , can't even imagine using one on a revolver, at least I wouldn't.
S&W 627 - 6" barrel, .357
GP100 Ruger, 6" barrel , .357
4" barrel 7 shot , .357
semi's --- shoot 9mm, or .45 cal. -- shoot them at those same ranges, etc. but the groupings a little larger.

Generally, that's what I have practiced with. Generally, a 1" drop for each 100 yrds with the ammo I use. 2" drop if you ever shot a .38 spl. How do I know it was 300 yrds, it was at ranges where they had them measured out .... doubt they messed up much, if at all, in measuring them out. 100 - 200 - 300 yrds Also practice on a setup one has... draw and shoot 6 different steel targets as fast as you can .... those are set up at about 25 yrds. Then, there is the outdoor Police range.... about 3 miles from me, and an outdoor club range next to it that and have been to both of those several times.

Way too many doubters, naysayers in here who won't even answer if they have even ever tried . Don't plan to make any more comments in this thread.

You can have your saracaism. I was never trying to be a range marksman .. not my thing at all . But, didn't mean I didn't try to learn, practice and expand my limits either.

This would be and impossible shot ... at least for me to try , but then everyone thought it was impossible by anyone.
He used a S&W 929, which is a 9mm.

#95 ·
While it is helpful to know one's own reactions and preparing one's firarms skills, a huge impact on the outcome of any fight is the aggressiveness that is used by an individual. Take a fist fight of two individuals of about the same physical abilities, the more aggressive one will almost always win.
Good reminder. If choosing to enter a gunfight, go all in and win decisively and fast.

#96 ·
Here comes the sarcasim of disbelief again. Have you ever tried and worked on being able to do it ? Really don't care what anyone believes, I know what I can do and have done many times. No scopes , can't even imagine using one on a revolver, at least I wouldn't.
S&W 627 - 6" barrel, .357
GP100 Ruger, 6" barrel , .357
4" barrel 7 shot , .357
semi's --- shoot 9mm, or .45 cal. -- shoot them at those same ranges, etc. but the groupings a little larger.

Generally, that's what I have practiced with. Generally, a 1" drop for each 100 yrds with the ammo I use. 2" drop if you ever shot a .38 spl. How do I know it was 300 yrds, it was at ranges where they had them measured out .... doubt they messed up much, if at all, in measuring them out. 100 - 200 - 300 yrds Also practice on a setup one has... draw and shoot 6 different steel targets as fast as you can .... those are set up at about 25 yrds. Then, there is the outdoor Police range.... about 3 miles from me, and an outdoor club range next to it that and have been to both of those several times.

Way too many doubters, naysayers in here who won't even answer if they have even ever tried . Don't plan to make any more comments in this thread.

You can have your saracaism. I was never trying to be a range marksman .. not my thing at all . But, didn't mean I didn't try to learn, practice and expand my limits either.

This would be and impossible shot ... at least for me to try , but then everyone thought it was impossible by anyone.
He used a S&W 929, which is a 9mm.
Your claim of "a 1" drop for each 100 yrds with the ammo I use" is nowhere close to real world ballistics for any handgun cartridge, or any rifle cartridge for that matter. Look - a 125 gr .357 mag with a muzzle velocity of 1,440 fps, zeroed for 50 yards, will drop 1" before it even gets to 75 yards. At 100 yards, it's dropped 5". At 200 yards, it's dropped 37". At 300 yards, it's dropped 108". If, as you claim above, you plan for a drop of "a 1" drop for each 100 yrds", then your bullet is bouncing on the dirt long before it ever reaches the target.

View attachment 310520
View attachment 310522

Attachments

#97 ·
Fella gets shot at more than a member of the "Rapid Tactical Force at one of America’s largest indoor retail shopping areas."
:lolp::lolp::lolp:

He's BAAAACK!!!

Reactions: Struckat
#98 ·
Fella gets shot at more than a member of the "Rapid Tactical Force at one of America’s largest indoor retail shopping areas."
Thanks for reminding me of that thread. It was funny as hell but it's been a while since I read it. And yes this guy would be right at home posting in it.

Thing is, from what I understand that thread was meant to be funny from the beginning and I have a feeling this guy might actually expect people to take him seriously. Or not. It could all be a joke.

Anybody remember the episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies" where they were sitting on their porch and shooting towards a fence post. Asked what they were doing they said they'd put some honey on the post and were waiting for some flys to come for it. "You don't actually expect to shoot the flys do you?" was asked and the answer was "Of course not. That wouldn't be sporting. We're just going to shoot the wings off". Don't know why this guy reminds me of that.

#99 ·
Your claim of "a 1" drop for each 100 yrds with the ammo I use" is nowhere close to real world ballistics for any handgun cartridge, or any rifle cartridge for that matter. Look - a 125 gr .357 mag with a muzzle velocity of 1,440 fps, zeroed for 50 yards, will drop 1" before it even gets to 75 yards. At 100 yards, it's dropped 5". At 200 yards, it's dropped 37". At 300 yards, it's dropped 108". If, as you claim above, you plan for a drop of "a 1" drop for each 100 yrds", then your bullet is bouncing on the dirt long before it ever reaches the target.

View attachment 310520
View attachment 310522
There you go clouding the B.S. with facts.

#100 ·
Did I ever tell you folks about shooting all 18 wheels off a speeding semi with my 22 single shot mini pistol? I live at the South Pole every other day if you wanna come watch. Non refundable tickets on sale for a grand apiece. Looking forward to seeing you ( if you catch me on the days I'm at home. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.