Guy got into my car back seat

This is a discussion on Guy got into my car back seat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't posted in Defensive Carry for a long time, so I apologize if this scenario is well-known and addressed. Recently I was running errands ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Guy got into my car back seat

I haven't posted in Defensive Carry for a long time, so I apologize if this scenario is well-known and addressed.

Recently I was running errands and stopped at a bank. After I finished my business, I got back into my vehicle and opened a phone app to look at the weather forecast. Suddenly a man opened a rear passenger door and got into my vehicle (red Honda CRV). He was already seated and closing the door by the time I reacted. I turned around and said, "Hey, what are you doing? Get out of my car!" He looked at me, then apologized that he had gotten into the wrong vehicle. After he got out, he apologized again, saying there are lots of vehicles that look like mine. He is right about that.

One obvious lesson is to be vigilant when I approach my vehicle. But I think I generally was in this case. I will admit I didn't look around thoroughly though.

In addition to situation awareness, I realized I should have locked my doors as soon as I got into a car. If I don't lock your doors immediately, it could be pretty easy for someone to approach the car and enter before I can do anything about it. Even if I drew on him, I would be trying to turn around and aim at someone in the back seat who is already facing my direction, and might already have a weapon ready. That would be a terrible situation.

It also occurs to me that I should also immediately start the engine. That way I am ready to go if trouble occurs, even if I take a moment to look at my phone.

I hope this is a helpful scenario to pass along, and maybe you have better ideas about how to prevent a bad guy from taking advantage in this situation.
    "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God..." Revelation 21:1-2

This situation is the reason I lock my doors when I get in my vehicle.

Glad you are safe!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

When I am approaching my car, I like to look around the area. I think, "Where could someone be hiding?" The real danger is in "transition" when you are just opening the door and getting in. I drive an SUV and I always look in the back before I get in also.

But yeah, immediately lock your doors. I use my remote. So I wait 'til the last second to press the "open" button on the remote and I immediately put my thumb on the lock button. As soon as I close the the door, I hit that, so I am not looking around for the lock switch on the door. One thing I like in my car is one press of the open button only unlocks the driver's door. You have to hit it twice to unlock them all. So your scenario would not have happened if you had that system.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Smart phones are hugely distracting devices which divert otherwise sensible people's attention from all sorts of hazards around them. I suspect the bad guys prey on that unfortunate aspect of human nature.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Why was the back door unlocked? Unless it's an odd configuration (old?) one press unlocks the driver's door, two unlock all the doors, as jmf said. Why unlock all the doors? And it seems rather odd for someone to enter the back seat.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Guy was probably thinking you were his Uber driver.

My step brother had a Lincoln Town Car years ago, had a very attractive lady jump in the back seat, giving him an address to drive to...thought he was a livery driver.

Yeah, lock the doors.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

If available I typically use handicapped parking (unless I am really feeling good) which places me closer to the entrance and gives extra visibility around the truck. When I approach the driver’s door that is the only one that unlocks but going to the passenger door or tailgate it unlocks all doors so I keep a good lookout should anyone approach. Once I enter I always lock all the doors and when refueling I lock all the doors and only unlock the driver’s door.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

When you get back into your car lock the doors, start it up, and drive away from that location. Any one on foot will have a hard time catching you. If you need to access your phone, do it from a different location a few blocks away. Then, keep it brief.
    “Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.”
    -- Edward Bernays

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    When you get back into your car lock the doors, start it up, and drive away from that location. Any one on foot will have a hard time catching you. If you need to access your phone, do it from a different location. a few blocks away. Then, keep it brief.
    I agree.

I make it a rule never to pull my phone out in public unless it's an emergency.

There was an incident we discussed on this site a year or two ago. A guy got into his car and and a strange man immediately got into the passenger seat. The guy wouldn't leave, so the driver pulled his licensed concealed handgun and held the guy until police arrived.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Brother.. if someone got into my back seat, my first move would probably be to open my door and step out. I am not going to carry on a conversation from inside my car with some unknown intruder. Remaining in the car is simply offering the person a continued opportunity to attack or threaten me. Once I exit the car, I would probably expect to encounter a second badguy. I would make myself ready to fight

OP.. where did this guy go when he exited your car? Did he get into the backseat of some other car nearby?
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I said part of this before but everything that I've been taught is that your car is a transitional space. Transitional spaces are where most assaults and muggings and robberies occur.

I make it a habit whether I'm coming or going that when I get in my car the first thing I do is lock the doors. Then I start the car and get it moving. I don't hang out in my car.

Same thing when I'm coming to someplace I park the car, get my stuff, get out of the car, lock it and move away from it.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    It's been said above but only press the unlock button one time. That way only the driver door unlocks. Not only will you be more safe you'll extend the life of the door lock actuators in your car.
    OldChap likes this.

Hmmmm…….lock the doors.

Years back, a friend of mine, a Newark PD Lieutenant was getting off working nights and on his way home. He was stopped at a light when a guy opened the car door and got in the passenger side of his car and demanded his money. He said OK while reaching into his jacket vest pock....whipped out his black jack and cracked this guy accross the bridge of his nose.....blood flyin' everywhere.....he then turned around, drove back to the Prencint and locked him up ……………..LOCK YOUR DOORS.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Everyone seemed to cover this already.
    In a nutshell.
    1 lock doors immediately
    2 Situational awareness up the wazoo.
    3 If 1 or 2 not followed, get out of the car asap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links