If by circumstance you as a concealed handgun carrier - Page 4

If by circumstance you as a concealed handgun carrier

This is a discussion on If by circumstance you as a concealed handgun carrier within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Texas Red Yeah, well... I ain't scared. I carry a 642 with 158 LSWC and have for the last 40 years (M60, ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree367Likes

Thread: If by circumstance you as a concealed handgun carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    Yeah, well...

I ain't scared.

I carry a 642 with 158 LSWC and have for the last 40 years (M60, 49, 640, 638) and i'm still here.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member

I'll bet I walk by a lot of unarmed people every day. I think my 1 or 2 J-Frames I carry put out front of the survival line.
    dennis40x and forester58 like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    You still read firearms publications?
    They are just sales flyers and have been near complete junk since the 1990ís.
    Yes, I still read them. And I agree with the OP they are always pushing that the new thing is the only thing that will save your life. Mainly I read them to see what new guns are out, how they compare, any issues discovered, and prices. I don't have time to hang out in gun shops all the time, and frequently the LGSs don't get the new guns until well after they are initially released.

Much of the self defense articles really don't apply to me as I am not constantly patrolling the town, wouldn't win a fist or knife fight, and am too lame to run. I am also encouraged by the fact that so many self defense situations are successfully survived by even those we would consider untrained. While the ninja warriors, IDPA/USPSA competitors, and LEO are constantly training/practicing to hone their fine skills, the reality is most people with even a modicum of familiarity with their firearms can and are able to defend themselves in most scenarios.

Most of us I suspect just train for the fun of it with no serious expectation we will ever have to actually use those skills. And if we avoid high crime areas and maintain SA 24x7, most of us never will find ourselves in a firefight.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Much of the time I am sarcastic and irreverent to a fault. Just not today.

Technology has it's place. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest to do the job. It is a decision each one of us makes.
    I have trained with SD weapons close to 40 years and have seen lots of things come and go. The fads and gimmicks don't last long. The stuff that works gets used and improved. Tactics are developed that take advantage of the improved performance of the technology.

Today my EDC is a G19, some days it is a 38 snub or an LCP. Different tools for different situations.
    I have been carrying a G17 with a Holosun RDS around the farm for almost a year now. It has done more than I expected from a pistol. My regular farm gun is a 45 Colt Blackhawk. I made a 60 yard shot on a running coyote with the G17. Wouldn't have even attempted it with the Blackhawk.
    JD, dennis40x, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    OH you would say that!! The "PIG" is a wonderful tool..... It's lil Brother (pictured) with a FightLite Shrike upper, eats everything that I feed it too !! The Upper cost me 3500.00 which is 3x more than I paid for the original 11.5 inch gun in 1985 (Yes, that's my Maramont too)
    That's a sweet set-up!!!

However, the M60A1 that I was referring to was the 53 ton Army's main battle Tank, prior to the advent of the M1 Abrhams series. I will confess to having carried an M60 MG and enjoyed firing it, not so much on the cleaning part.
    dennis40x, OD*, demanic and 2 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Yes, I still read them. And I agree with the OP they are always pushing that the new thing is the only thing that will save your life. Mainly I read them to see what new guns are out, how they compare, any issues discovered, and prices. I don't have time to hang out in gun shops all the time, and frequently the LGSs don't get the new guns until well after they are initially released.

Much of the self defense articles really don't apply to me as I am not constantly patrolling the town, wouldn't win a fist or knife fight, and am too lame to run. I am also encouraged by the fact that so many self defense situations are successfully survived by even those we would consider untrained. While the ninja warriors, IDPA/USPSA competitors, and LEO are constantly training/practicing to hone their fine skills, the reality is most people with even a modicum of familiarity with their firearms can and are able to defend themselves in most scenarios.

Most of us I suspect just train for the fun of it with no serious expectation we will ever have to actually use those skills. And if we avoid high crime areas and maintain SA 24x7, most of us never will find ourselves in a firefight.
    But every gun they review gets glowing praise.
    OD* and dennis40x like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    But every gun they review gets glowing praise.
    Not true. I read one just this week about a new gun being a jamomatic. Had to be sent back to the factory for tuning before testing could be completed. But I agree they tend to put a positive spin on most of them, particularly if the maker is an advertiser.
    OD*, dennis40x, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Not true. I read one just this week about a new gun being a jamomatic. Had to be sent back to the factory for tuning before testing could be completed. But I agree they tend to put a positive spin on most of them, particularly if the maker is an advertiser.
    The guns they review are nearly always from one of their advertisers.

I used to know the print media rep for a gun manufacturer and learned a thing or two. One was they offer good discounts to writers who want to buy the guns they tested. Also the gun company gets to decide which writer gets which guns. While unspoken as such the previous point made it clear if you aren't friendly you don't get guns.
    dennis40x and matthew03 like this.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not really.

As someone who has a HK P30 with a Delta Point, I didn't even have holster problems.

Holster options for that gun at the time were not that great, and it's only gotten better.

As for the gun options its only a problem if you can't afford it. Even Sccy is producing an optic ready pistol in the $300 range.https://www.sccy.com/handguns/cpx-1rd/

If the gun you want doesn't come factory ready, there is someone out there willing to mill it.

Ability to conceal is subjective as some people will say it's too hard to conceal a Glock 34 or a 5" 1911.

If my 5'3 120# wife can conceal a Glock 17 with RMR, general concealability is not a concern.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Holsters are certainly out there and available with custom kydex for pretty much anything but your still loosing options at this point for most guns. Me for instance 90% of my CC is with a shoulder holster which wonít support it atleast not at this time.

Gun options are certainly available but as someone who has been Cc for a long time I have a safe full of handguns none of which will accept optics without a trip to the milling machine.

Also thereís the optics side of it there are affordable options but look at quality stuff like a delta point or a RMR and your talking the cost of a handgun. Figure in that on top of milling or the cost of a new gun and itís very easy to have a ton of money wrapped up in just a single gun

As for concealability imho a 1911 or a 34 is perfectly concealable carried both for years. But you are adding a inch or two to the height of the gun which can be a problem for some carry methods others itís a non-issue obviously such as OWB or appendix.

That said I will be adding another G45 to the stable and intend to put a RMR on it. Not for CC but for work. The additional real-estate doesnít matter in OWB at least to my line of thinking. I do think itís very quickly becoming a more mainstream and supported option which I like. As I said there are huge benefits to the system. First time I shot with one the individual who had it said something that at the time didnít make since after shooting them it all came together. ďIím not more accurate with optics and Iím not faster with the optic but I am more accurate faster.Ē After shooting them it made since.
    dennis40x likes this.

I believe this and certainly hope it's true since I shoot as a hobby and know I'm not anywhere near what would be called highly trained. I don't practice a lightning fast draw so I guess if I'm called out to a showdown on Main street at high noon I'm a gonner. I don't even carry any extra mags, and to show how lazy I am I load 15 rounds in the mag then chamber one and don't even bother to replace the chambered round in the mag. If someday I need 16 instead of 15, well once again I'm a gonner.

At the range I like to shoot from several distances such as 7, 10, and 25 yards and do occasionally fire three shot groups as fast as I can, but I don't really practice shooting while I'm moving or at a moving target.

By the standards of many here I'm inadequately trained and equipped, but I take safety very seriously and carry every day on the premise that if I did find myself in a situation where I needed to defend my life having a gun gives me at least some advantage over not having one.
    spclopr8tr and dennis40x like this.

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Clickbait
    JD, OD* and matthew03 like this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Most encounters, as in those with a single perp, result in three, maybe four shots, to eliminate the threat. At least, according to the studies I've seen.
    Well_Regulated and dennis40x like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Most encounters, as in those with a single perp, result in three, maybe four shots, to eliminate the threat. At least, according to the studies I've seen.
    And in less than ten seconds.
    dennis40x likes this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post
    And in less than ten seconds.
    Three shots, three seconds, as I recall. Actual shootouts are very rare. If you really want to be prepared for anything, carry an M134.
    dennis40x likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    That's a sweet set-up!!!

However, the M60A1 that I was referring to was the 53 ton Army's main battle Tank, prior to the advent of the M1 Abrhams series. I will confess to having carried an M60 MG and enjoyed firing it, not so much on the cleaning part.
    Ohhhh...Now THAT'S a bit of a Boomer! Way above my pay grade level!! LOL
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links