What to do in this situation?

This is a discussion on What to do in this situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This ended peacefully, but what could you do/should you do in this situation? http://bristowbeat.com/news/police-a...manassas-mall/...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: What to do in this situation?

This ended peacefully, but what could you do/should you do in this situation?

http://bristowbeat.com/news/police-a...manassas-mall/
    GpTom likes this.

Welcome to DC.

Which party in that situation do you anticipate yourself being? The general rule of thumb is that any gunfight you live through has turned out well.
    Last edited by OldChap; February 20th, 2020 at 03:36 PM.
    Pete63, airslot and Sister like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

The 31 year old. If you were that person, how would you have treated the teen assuming you're armed?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Hard to say what I would have done having not actually been there.

Did the guy simply raise his shirt showing that he was armed? Did he quickly lower his shirt or did he reach for it like he was going to pull it out? Did he put his hand on the handle of the gun?

I'm sure I could come up with many more questions but the simple answer on what I would do would be, "Depends."

Depends on what threat level I perceive the guy to be. Depends upon whether or not I think he is going to draw the gun or not. Depends upon whether I am in fear for my life or the life of my wife or child.

Depends is about as good an answer as I can give as I thankfully did not experience this undoubtedly scary encounter.
    OldChap, airslot, Pete63 and 2 others like this.

I think I would adopt the puppy.
    "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all." Romans 12:18 (ESV)

flh
    Attached Images  
    Sister and OldChap like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by VAnative View Post
    The 31 year old. If you were that person, how would you have treated the teen assuming you're armed?
    I think @RScottie answered your question as well as it could be. Each situation is unique. There are no pat circumstances. Listen to your gut feeling and be very observant. Draw and shoot just because he showed you a gun? No. Only a fool does that in that manner.
    flh, Pete63 and Rock and Glock like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. Don't know if you are "really new here", or have been "lurking", & just now decided to join. I think you'll find most established member's here, will/may only answer in generalities, as there are always "different dynamic's" to "ANY" self defense shooting. Some want a "definitive answer" to a scenario, which can not be made without "100% of the info involved". Even with video/audio, it's never "cut & dried" with response's. Although the article does seem to give a good bit of info, myself, I'd say I have to have been there to respond to a "what would I do"?
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    I take it you live in Virginia. This happened in another state. "THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE TOO!" Not sure why, but some states have different law's with reguards to firearms.
    airslot, Sister and OldChap like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    This ended peacefully, but what could you do/should you do in this situation?

Police Arrest Teen for Brandishing Firearm at Manassas Mall - Bristow Beat : Bristow Beat
    Disengage from the confrontation and call law enforcement.
    wmhawth, airslot, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Hard to say. I would not draw and shoot just for brandishing, now if the little thug made a move to remove pistol from his pants, I would draw and if he continued to remove pistol I would dispatch him to his maker.
    Best to disengage from the confrontation if at all possible and let the cops do their job if you can.
    OldChap and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    I think I would adopt the puppy.
    Yep that was what I took from the story. Looked like the 31 yr old couple did the right thing.
    OldChap likes this.

Who can say for certain?

I wasn't there.

The kid wasn't looking into my eyes and I wasn't looking into his.
    OldChap likes this.
    "All the armies of Europe and Asia could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years...As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.” ― Abraham Lincoln

....heck, with that much weed somebody could have made a profit right there.....

(that wasn’t out loud was it?)

😳. 😝
    matthew03 and airslot like this.
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

It wouldn't happen to me. The malls nearby are posted. I haven't set foot in one in years.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links