What would you do if you saw a guy with a gun on an airplane

This is a discussion on What would you do if you saw a guy with a gun on an airplane within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are sitting in the aisle seat on a 737. You notice a man that gets up and appears to be having an "urgent" or ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: What would you do if you saw a guy with a gun on an airplane

You are sitting in the aisle seat on a 737. You notice a man that gets up and appears to be having an "urgent" or possibly "heated" conversation with an air waitress (flight attendant). The man has a Mid-Eastern accent. You notice as his jacket moves that he has a holstered pistol. You are flying in or around a major city.

What do you do?

1) Assume he is an Air Mashall?
    2) Tackle the man
    3) Talk to another flight attendant?
    4) Other

For all of those that will reply:"I don't fly, I do not like TSA, I have not flown in years and never will fly again, I refuse to be groped will never board a plane again"..We gotcha! We understand the sentiment!.

No need to flood the thread with those replies

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    4) Other - go back to sleep.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member
    Gun Owners of America
    Electronic Frontiers Foundation https://www.eff.org/ - defending digital privacy and free speech including forums such as this one

I'll venture a guess, but I can't say with absolute certainty what I would do.

#1 - then begin a very fervent prayer that I am not wrong.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

This is sort of a real scenario that sort of actually happened. I listen to ATC recordings when I get bored. There was one where an Air Marshall got taken off of a flight. Lots of confusion was going on possibly some procedures and protocols were not followed.

If the plane was actually in the air when this happened who knows what might have happened.

I would change the channel.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    If possible to do so without drawing attention I would attempt to quietly voice my concern to a member of the flight crew, then I would comply with instructions from the flight crew. Initiating action on my own could potentially cause adverse consequences such as panic reaction among the passengers or interfere with established procedures for dealing with in-flight emergencies.

Flight deck and cabin crews have been through just about every possible training scenario that anyone could devise. Whatever actions or reactions they have practiced would probably be seriously compromised by Joe Passenger interjecting himself into the situation.
    Poorly, OldChap, OlCop and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    I would start out by discretely talking to the flight attendant after she was finished with her discussion with the gentleman.
    If she assured me not to be concerned, he is the law. i am good to go.
    If she was concerned about the firearm, I would watch him like a hawk and at the first sign of trouble go all spider monkey on him.
    Pete63, OneGunTX, OldChap and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    You are sitting in the aisle seat on a 737. You notice a man that gets up and appears to be having an "urgent" or possibly "heated" conversation with an air waitress (flight attendant). The man has a Mid-Eastern accent. You notice as his jacket moves that he has a holstered pistol. You are flying in or around a major city.

What do you do?

1) Assume he is an Air Mashall?
    2) Tackle the man
    3) Talk to another flight attendant?
    4) Other

For all of those that will reply:"I don't fly, I do not like TSA, I have not flown in years and never will fly again, I refuse to be groped will never board a plane again"..We gotcha! We understand the sentiment!.

No need to flood the thread with those replies
    Chances are this person is not a threat.
    A) pistol is holstered - criminals usually don't use holsters
    B) pistol is holstered - not being used as a threat despite a heated discussion
    C) while people have sneaked weapons onto flights before, is unlikely that this would be a holstered pistol that's loosely covered by a jacket.

I might listen to the conversation very attentively and plan for contingencies

VIP Member
    A. Checking to see if Chuck Norris & Lee Marvin are seated behind me.
    B. Surreptitiously sneak up behind him, and take him out with the bottle of Canadian Maple Syrup I smuggled on the plane, from obviously lax screening methods.
    C. When the stewardess come's to bring me "my 6th Bourbon on the rocks", mention I saw her last Saturday night in the octagon, taking out Rhonda Rousey, and she needs to apply a "rear naked choke" on the passenger in seat 7a.
    D.Mind my own business, as from what I hear, air marshall's fly quite a bit, and this one need's an "upgraded concealment holster".
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    The only people with holstered handguns on commercial flights are people who are allowed to have holstered handguns on commercial flights.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I would start out by discretely talking to the flight attendant after she was finished with her discussion with the gentleman.
    If she assured me not to be concerned, he is the law. i am good to go.
    If she was concerned about the firearm, I would watch him like a hawk and at the first sign of trouble go all spider monkey on him.
    If he was becoming "heated" I'd still watch him. Not all AM/LEO's are cut from the same cloth.
    The problem is if he is a "compromised" AM/LEO, or not he could've been upset over a valid point, and you take any action you've just opened yourself up to a whole lot of problems. And you're next week is very liable to be confined in some manner.
    This ain't a movie & I ain't Niam Leeson(I know his real name)!
    Pete63 likes this.

I've seen guns before. They just make me more alert. That's how I'd probably finish the flight along with being thankful that God drew me to His Son. Maybe if the moment allowed, start a conversation about handguns and that his had become exposed. There is not much else that could be done. If you tell a stewardess who knows what might happen. I haven't flown since about 6 trips back and forth to my senior trip in South East Asia full of other servicemen.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

VIP Member
    From a realistic standpoint, I don't know whom is allowed to know the identity of air marshall's on flights. I know if I were an A.M., my rig would conceal my firearm from any potential threat, "TILL I PULLED IT TO USE IT"! This is the same type of scenario, as the "poorly concealed", when in some states IT MUST BE hidden from view. If A.M. is lazy, or won't purchase a rig which does conceal his hardware, what's the point? May as well O.C.
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The only people with holstered handguns on commercial flights are people who are allowed to have holstered handguns on commercial flights.
    That made me laugh.
    Out loud.
    Ha!
    Mike1956 likes this.

I would give a note to a flight attendant. If she was not concerned, I would not be. At the very least, the LEO/AM might get some feedback that he is not concealing well enough. I also doubt a guy with a holstered gun would not be authorized. Now, if he was doing Mexican carry, that might be different.

Also, and I realize this is going off script, how would you want someone to react in a restaurant if they saw you were carrying? They might have the same fears you might have on the plane, justified or not. My point is I don't want to get into the liberal's game of getting all paranoid about people carrying firearms, anywhere.

I would worry a lot more if I saw someone with a box knife. And then of course there's the problem with snakes on the plane...don't get me started.
    Poorly and Portcullis-II like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links