Almost...Ohh So Close To The Abyss - Page 3

Almost...Ohh So Close To The Abyss

This is a discussion on Almost...Ohh So Close To The Abyss within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dangerranger Old Chap, Your guy reminds me of this guy! See that occasionally around here. Might have performed an emergency castration in ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Almost...Ohh So Close To The Abyss

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Old Chap, Your guy reminds me of this guy!

See that occasionally around here. Might have performed an emergency castration in my younger years. No excuse for that kind of indecency.
    OldChap likes this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Should have taken his license number & called the cops. He may have just been let out of the slammer, stole that truck & just had to have some chicken!

But if he was 6' away the cops would've probably just said "good day".
    OldChap likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    I have lived in far west Fort Worth through all the way up to the far north Dallas area here in Plano over about the last 15 years and I have never heard of Babe's. I guess after restaurants start to open again I need to track one down and see how good they are.
    First one was in Roanoke, then in North Richland Hills, new one in Frisco.
    I think there are a few more.
    You will like it
    OldChap and scottync like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Awesome chicken and veggies served family style.
    We have 2 thatI know of in DFW area
    Banana pudding to top it off. Don't forget the banana pudding!!
    Fallsrider likes this.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

I am glad you were prepared to defend yourself as well as others. I am glad that you have the sort of attitude that would allow you to stop truly bad things forced upon you. That said, I consider it substantially dramatic to categorize this as "so close to the abyss". Perhaps you were just having a good time with the title ( I don't know). I would say that although this was clearly some jackassery and may have been close to a couple of men pushing, shoving and knocking each other around in the parking lot. I think that it was rather FAR from being any sort of situation likely needing a gun. Sure, that can change rather quickly but this is simply jackassery you are describing. No matter what he is saying or threatening.. I would need to qualify his actual ability in the moment to carry it out and some sort of overt action toward commission of those actions. Running at the mouth is simply running at the mouth. You walk away from it just like Gentleman number one did. If you cant.. that's a problem. If the guy gets out of the car, that a problem. It doesn't mean its a gun situation but its a problem all the same.

Personally, I would have stayed in my car unless I was SUBSTANTIALLY hindered by jackass in the truck. I am not sure what people expect to receive when they approach and confront a jackass behaving like a jackass. I would expect to receive exactly what this kindly gentleman received.. ( more jackassery).

If it were me, I would have thought some off color connotations in my mind as I remained in my car and waited a couple of minutes for jackass to leave. A couple of burgers and 5 minutes of my time is not much to weigh against what trouble and cost I might incur if I get into some physical brawl with a jackass in the middle of a parking lot. If the choice is Fight or be harmed with impunity.. then fight it is. I wont contribute toward a senseless confrontation no matter if I have the MORAL highground or not. Fights happening is such a circumstance as you described above is just silly business. Its the stuff of teenagers not mature men. I would not appreciate some guy cutting in line ahead of me or blocking my path momentarily.. but, I would have let it go.

note: Approaching a jackass and kindly or calmly interjecting yourself into their business or making some kindly request of them (regarding their actions).. is typically taken in the same way as confronting them boldly. To them it can be interpreted as disrespect no matter how polite a person speaks to them. Being meek, polite or kind about it can often be seen as weakness which potentially emboldens them. Communicating with "bad" people can be a real balancing act which is why I simply avoid interjecting myself into the business of people behaving stupidly. I will of course pay close attention to what they are doing and how it impacts my ongoing level of safety.
    mmb617 and TSKnight like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post

Glad you did not have to smoke Mr Big Truck/ Small Personality (yeah, that's it) Your chicken would have gotten cold while you had to talk with the Coroner.
    First thing I thought of. Try not to let jackasses screw up your eating.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Fizban, you have said pretty much exactly what I was thinking about this situation as presented here.

I don't see it as even remotely close to draw my weapon time.

It would take an imminent physical threat to me or my family to cause me to consider such action. Someone swearing at me does not meet that threshold.

As for breaking up a fight between two strangers, I'm not a cop and don't consider that my job, even if I (maybe) have the means to do it. I guess I'm selfish but I wouldn't turn my life upside down by inserting myself into that. How do I know whether said dirtbag is also armed? That might quickly change the outcome for someone who decides to get involved.
    Fizban likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Yesterday Mrs OldChap and I made a run to the local fried chicken eatery to pick up dinner. As usual the line of cars stretched like a long snake around the building - twice.

At the serving window side and front of the restaurant, where patrons exit in their cars from the serving windows, they had placed orange traffic cones to allow a hole in the line of cars waiting to allow those already served to exit. Leaving the hole open for cars to exit was necessary or no one was going anywhere.

So we are waiting patiently in line as the next vehicle to cross the exit hole and continue around to be served, when out of the line behind us comes a yayhoo (that's Texan for the south end of a northbound donkey) in a large 4 wheel drive pickup. He cut around three cars behind us, cut in front of us, and blocked the cars attempting to exit from the serving windows.

I thought..."wow, what a dirtbag" - I confess...I don't think those were my exact words! In any event, here comes a guy out of his car waiting to get out with his food and wife and kids. The dirtbag rolled down his window as the guy, who couldn't have weighed more than 140 pounds soaking wet, nicely asked him to please move so people could exit and get the line moving again. After a few seconds, there came a barrage of profanity from the dirtbag that turned the air green around the area. Very threatening profanity.

Both Mrs OldChap and myself, and several others nearby, distinctly heard the dirtbag threaten to get out and "kill you mother something."

I immediately thought this may be headed south very quickly, and also asked myself why this had to happen when I was near enough, and properly equipped, to stop any nastiness. The guy who got out of the car remained cool, wished the dirtbag a nice day and returned to his car. The dirtbag backed up, looked out the window at Mrs OldChap and I, and shouted more profanity - this time at us. I started wondering how well the 31 rounds of .357 Sig HST's in the Glock 22 were going to work on this idjit. I also prayed he would have a heart attack right then and there and save everybody a lot of trouble - especially me. I know, I feel bad about that particular petition!

In any event, the dirtbag roared off, almost hitting two cars in front of him and off into the parking lot of the HEB. I thanked the good Lord for His watchcare, asked His forgiveness for my thoughts, and we finally got our fried chicken. The manager told us he was glad he didn't have to go out and confront the dirtbag. I told him you have no idea how glad we were too.

'Nuff excitement for one day!
    You are being a bit rough on yourself in regard to your thoughts at the time. If we weren't supposed to respond with abrupt, less-than-pacifist emotions in a fight/flight/freeze situation, we would not have been given adrenal glands.
    OldChap likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You are being a bit rough on yourself in regard to your thoughts at the time. If we weren't supposed to respond with abrupt, less-than-pacifist emotions in a fight/flight/freeze situation, we would not have been given adrenal glands.
    Perhaps, thanks for reminding me that I'm my own worst critic. I reflected on my response and thoughts and frankly, I've faced a number of much more dangerous situations and not had those kind of thoughts. I wonder if we all react more strongly, and think about doing things we wouldn't, had we not been through this pestilence ordeal? Maybe.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Fizban, you have said pretty much exactly what I was thinking about this situation as presented here.

I don't see it as even remotely close to draw my weapon time.

It would take an imminent physical threat to me or my family to cause me to consider such action. Someone swearing at me does not meet that threshold.

As for breaking up a fight between two strangers, I'm not a cop and don't consider that my job, even if I (maybe) have the means to do it. I guess I'm selfish but I wouldn't turn my life upside down by inserting myself into that. How do I know whether said dirtbag is also armed? That might quickly change the outcome for someone who decides to get involved.

Exactly.. the last thing that any of us wants to do is begin to exist within a "coiled spring" mentality where just about any adverse condition is tugging firmly on the linchpin of serious action. There is an entire Universe of distance between [zero] and [GO TIME!]. The coiled spring mentality can reduce that universe to mere millimeters( if you let it). I am not suggesting that things cannot change rabidly.. they certainly can. I am simply suggesting that we should probably not distance ourselves from the process of thoughtfully and reasonable qualifying the need for force.

This incident ( to me) would be of very minor concern as described. Worth monitoring? ..sure( if I remain). Why?.. because it has the potential to "possibly" get worse. That possibility can develop into a "probability" as the overt building block are laid, if they are laid at all. I probably would have considered leaving ( if possible). I know that I am not going to allow some dude to beat on my car, beat on me or harm my wife. That said, it still isn't a gun situation unless I feel that life is in peril. I don't want to fight anyone..ever but I don't carry a gun to avoid a physical confrontation. I would not have been "thinking about" the need of a gun in this particular situation and would have been far from it. Sometimes life deals a few licks and you may have to take a few and give a few. I carry a gun to preserve life in the face of rather obvious deadly force being leveled against me. I don't carry a gun to manage jackassery, mischief or brawling men.
    OldChap and TSKnight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    adrenal glands don't make the decision, they simply help prepare the body for action. How a person "responds" is supposed to be thoughtful and measured as we have the brain and capacity to do just that. If adrenal glands ruled the process by which action occurs or doesn't occur then we are reduced to purely primal, instinctual or animalistic responses to all adversity. If you want to use a autonomic stress response as a basis for making decisions, you can but I wont. What you are supposed to do is think and reason, no matter the state of your adrenal processes.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    ....I don't want to fight anyone..ever but I don't carry a gun to avoid a physical confrontation.
    I do. My wife does. My 98 pound granddaughter does. I suspect a great many of us here on DC who are growing older by the minute do also. Plus, you overlook one aspect of law that is always present in such a situation: disparity of force.

It is one thing to be in the prime of life and not consider a physical altercation any problem. Is it quite another when you see what frequently happens to older people when attacked by younger, stronger individuals. There is a very important reason for the disparity of force laws, however they are worded in various states.

Maybe the wanna-be MMA fighters would not hesitate to confront an angry young man, although even that frequently can have tragic results. There is a very good reason police officers carry, and often deploy, less-lethal devices. In part it has to do with not engaging in activities that can cause violent death.

IMHO this is a decision that can only be arrived at by each individual after careful self examination.
    Arejay and TSKnight like this.

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I do. My wife does. My 98 pound granddaughter does. I suspect a great many of us here on DC who are growing older by the minute do also. Plus, you overlook one aspect of law that is always present in such a situation: disparity of force.

It is one thing to be in the prime of life and not consider a physical altercation any problem. Is it quite another when you see what frequently happens to older people when attacked by younger, stronger individuals. There is a very important reason for the disparity of force laws, however they are worded in various states.

Maybe the wanna-be MMA fighters would not hesitate to confront an angry young man, although even that frequently can have tragic results. There is a very good reason police officers carry, and often deploy, less-lethal devices. In part it has to do with not engaging in activities that can cause violent death.

IMHO this is a decision that can only be arrived at by each individual after careful self examination.
    Sure.. "special circumstances" do exist. I am speaking in general terms as you did not outline any "special" circumstances in post no. 1. I am speaking as a regular ole guy of average physical prowess and relative good health.
    OldChap likes this.

It isn't a "special circumstance." It is who I am, right now, today, at this point in life.

It isn't a "special circumstance." It is who I am, right now, today, at this point in life.
    Brother.. its not a slight. If you are talking about "disparities", I consider those "special circumstances".

Using myself as an example. I may desire to run away from danger but I accept that how far I can run has limits which did not exist to the same degree 10-20-30 years ago. I will likely turn and stand my ground a lot sooner than a younger man. I may decide to stop and fight where as a younger man might keep running and ultimately escape. I consider that a special circumstance which relates to my age and current physical abilities. Like you said, it is who I am right now, today. I get it.
    OldChap likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links