Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - Page 23

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had to draw multiple times in self defense as a Law Enforcement Officer. I only had to fire at another human being once, but ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

1,156 72.61%
  • Draw only

325 20.41%
  • Draw and fire

111 6.97%
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
Like Tree695Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

I've had to draw multiple times in self defense as a Law Enforcement Officer. I only had to fire at another human being once, but it was not in my personal self defense. Back in the old days when you shot fleeing felons, no questions asked. Missed him. Hard to hit a fleeing rapist in the dark while he is zigging and zagging and you are running as well.

Cheers y'all,
    Ken

Not yet. Thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_guy View Post
    Second incident, I had no gun, but lied and said I did. I pulled up to a friends house and saw two guys walking out of the house next door which was owned by a deaf and disabled gentleman, knew they were stealing and weren't supposed to be there. They walked out right in front of me so I stopped, got off my motorcycle told them I had a gun and to lay down on the ground.
    That was... Umm. Bold.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I am not sure if military action is in the realm of draw and fire in this thread. In October 1952 I was checking an enemy body when I was charged by a Chinese soldier with a bayonet on a rifle. I was in a keeling position and luckily as I came up I was able to knock the rifle aside drawing my pistol at the same time pointing the gun at him .When it discharged it was no more than 2 inches from his nose. The result was very devastating to him. I wondered why he didn't shoot me first and checking his weapon I found it to be empty. He was just a young kid and I have had to have to live with that vision all these years. What I have learned from that is never shoot someone unless there is no recourse. Also I keep a round in the tube in the Glock 36 that I CC year round in Tucson. I also recommend that you train to automatically draw and shoot to the point where you do it with out thinking about it. Hopefully you will survive an attack and be able to talk about it at some time..J

I just happen to see a pop up in this blog on the DVD "Chosin" the most decorated battle in American history. October through December 1950 in Korea. Being a vet of that campaign with the 7th Marines it is a well done first hand documentary worth the look.
    Last edited by Jarhead80; June 17th, 2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Saw a pop up on this blod that I thought might be of interest to some members

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Jarhead80: WELCOME to the forum!!!!! Bless you for your service to our great nation!!
    ffemt1977 and tmanbuckhunter like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I drew my .45 twice in Vietnam, and was able to resolve the threats without having to fire both times.
    Bekkers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead80 View Post
    I am not sure if military action is in the realm of draw and fire in this thread.
    Holy hell, I can't think of a better example!
    Bekkers, KnifeGuy and MPaulHolmes like this.

IM a combat wounded veteran in close quarters combat. No need to go there with this thread for me... but in civilian life I've drawn my weapon twice in 40 years of licensed carry.. I chose not to report either incident. Once was a street person who attempted to move aggressively towards my children and wife who were in front of me at dusk. Rather than telling you what I told him .. he did turn around and run away at my request. The second time was in my car at night, at a light, blocked in my a cement median on my left side and a truck in front of me , blocking my way, where three young thugs didn't like my looks or my discuss for their offensive rap music pulled up on my right no one in front of them or in back, I was in the left turn lane, they were in the go straight lane to my right, they did not pull up to the light, they stop right next to me.. They yelled some obscenities at me, guess they didn't like my car. three of them got out of the car with a baseball bat or a long pipe.. to hard to tell it was dark. Those guys turned around and got back in their car and drove off. I was lucky on both accounts.
    ffemt1977, mnstnz and bigpapa like this.

I just discovered this forum and thought it would be a good place to share my story. Unfortunately yes I have had to draw my weapon and was forced to fire.

I was driving a female friend home from work and stopped at a gas station. It was a little after 10pm. While I was getting gas she went inside the store to get a candy bar. As I was finishing I heard her talking to someone and realized she was being harassed by a man that neither of us knew. Now I've had people ask me for money or for a ride at this gas station so I honestly didn't think it was a dangerous situation. I walked over just to ask the guy to leave her alone however I did casually reach under my shirt and grip my M&P 9c. When the guy saw me he immediately lifted his shirt and showed me that he had a handgun tucked into the front of his waistband. When I saw the weapon I took it as a threat and drew my firearm. I didn't aim it directly at him but more at the ground at his feet and I commanded him to leave us alone. He must have thought I wouldn't actually fire my weapon because he drew his gun and about the time he cleared his waistband I shot him twice in the chest. He dropped his gun and walked around behind the gas station. My friend was dialing 911 at this point along with others nearby. I peeked around the gas station and he was gone. I holstered my weapon and waited for the police. They placed me in handcuffs as a precaution until they could figure everything out. They eventually took the cuffs off and transported me to the PD to be interviewed. Once I was there they informed me the guy I shot had been found a few blocks away and had died from the gunshot wounds. After taking statements from everyone who witnessed the incident and reviewing the surveillance camera footage they ultimately decided it was self defense and I was never charged. It's something I'll never forget and I'm still not sure how I feel about it to this day. I still carry daily and I always say a little prayer asking to not have to draw my firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D_FIN, ffemt1977, mnstnz and 10 others like this.

Thank you for your story, I have always wanted to know the outcome of a situation like yours, because I never know when I will have to do the same thing you did. I carry daily as well and I hope I never have to use it but it's nice to know that's it's there if I do need it.

I have never been in a situation where either was required. My father had one situation that he always liked to recount. He held a GA toter's permit way before CCW matured. He ran a small shop in a cash only business, and while working, his Detective Special was always in a special shelf built right under the cash register. One day, he noticed a car with three young men driving past his shop. Then they came back and pulled onto his parking lot, backing into a spot right in front of the door. One of the young men exited the car through the passenger door, and left it open. My father went to the cash register and put his hand on his Colt. The young man asked directions to the Big Chicken, a prominent local landmark. My father pointed with his gun, and said it was about a mile that away. The young man thanked him and returned promptly to his car. Dad carried that Colt for fifty years. And I have it now. It's the only gun I own that I know has been used for self protection, and it performed admirably in the one time that it was called to duty.
    rjinga, 3rdegree, OD* and 6 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I clicked "Like" for your story - not for the light punishment (more like lack of) for the perps.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Unfortunately I have had to draw my weapon to defend myself, twice. Strangely both were with in a few months of each other in 2009. And they were vastly differing situation. Both instances I was microseconds from completing the pull of the trigger when the bad guy ran and I was happily not required to actually fire.

Results were: one crackhead gang member who tried to car jack me at the Sam's club gas station on Getwell road in Memphis arrested and eventually sentenced to 3 years in jail (for other outstanding warrants, not for the attempted car jacking of me) and the 2nd bad guy stopped beating the hell out of my friend and ran from the scene. he was caught down the street and arrested for assault. He got a year in jail and 3 years probation. With time served waiting for the trial, he was out in 4 months and is still on probation I think until some time in early 2013.
    For God, Family and Country!

Yes to both questions. Twice for draw, once for fire in self-defense. Both a LONG time ago.

No and no.

Drew once, didn't shoot, almost did. In hindsight, I'm glad it happened because it's taught me a few things.

This was before I had my CHL, I was 18 at the time and it was summer time and I was staying with my cousin. Well he told me to keep his handgun in my pickup, which under Texas law is legal if you're over 18. So I kept it in my center console. I was on the way back to his place after seeing some friends late at night and I decided to stop at a whataburger, so I'm waiting in the drive through line, all my windows in my pickup were down (lesson #1), I still remember the song playing, George Strait-Run, and I had it cranked (lesson #2). This 6'3"-6'5" black man comes up to my window, guy was huge, says he's just trying to get some change for a bus ride, at this point in my naive state, this guy actually sounded extremely educated and honestly nice (lesson #3). I told him I didn't have any change, which was true, well I don't think he believed me and that's when his arms came to rest on the window sill, now the alarms are going off, especially when I saw the kitchen knife laying up against his arm, he asked me again, this time harsher. My mind was going 1000 miles a minute, if it came to it, the car in front of me, I can easily push out of the way with my truck and get out, same with the car behind me (lesson #4). I also knew there was a loaded XD9 subcompact in my center console. I choose the gun. I told him hold on I might have some cash in my wallet in the center console. He said hurry up and this time it was a cold feeling, I can't describe it but it didn't feel good. I opened the console and I guess fate made him look in front of the truck to his side, and he wasn't paying attention to the fact that there obviously was no wallet in the center console. I remember this very clearly. When I grabbed that gun. Without even thinking finger was relaxed off the trigger, it started to come out and it got about half way to him when I started to prep the trigger I just about reached the wall when it was about an inch away from his face. I guess he started to turn his head around and noticed the gun coming to him because as soon as it stopped an inch from his face he was starting to move. He took off and, I didn't notice this until I got home, but he dropped the knife and it was sitting in between my seat and the door. My finger came off the trigger, gun went back in the center console, and in the time I was grabbing the gun the car upfront had moved, I took off like a bat out of hell and I was shaking the entire way home. I can still see the expression in his eyes when he saw that gun. That's something I won't ever forget. I've only told my friends that carry, or my close friends who know I carry. I never told my dad, mom, or cousin for that matter. I don't know why I've never told them, but I haven't.

I learned multiple lessons that night that I take with me everywhere I go.
    1) I don't ever pull up to a drive through with all my windows down. The window goes down when I order and comes right back up until I'm picking my food up.

2) music goes off or real low at drive throughs

3) I don't trust anyone, my friends wonder why I'm "cold" or why I always look so serious when I go places, this is why.

4) I never pull up close to people in drive throughs. Always enough to turn and get out. My dad taught me this at red lights, but I never connected it to drive throughs until that night.

5) Final lesson, call the cops, I didn't, and looking back on it I could have been screwed if he didn't drop the knife and he decided to go to the cops.

Like I said I'm thankful it happened yet pray something like this doesn't happen again. I know what I can do. I was ready to pull that trigger and if he would've moved towards me and not away I would've. I was at the wall, ready to break the shot. Gun wasn't shaking, nothing, it was a weird feeling. I didn't start realizing what just happened until I started driving. That's when the adrenaline dump happened. I've never had to pull a gun since then. Camr close a couple of times in the past two months, but it turned out to be nothing. I've lit a guy up with my surefire and told him to leave me and three girls alone, which he complied with, cause I didn't have a gun on that occasion (19yo). So there's my stories. By the way, I've never been back to that whataburger.
    gregivq, njr, gloves12 and 1 others like this.

Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links