Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - Page 27

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I flip drivers off. I drive a lot of back country roads, in a convertible, and there are times where my hand shoots into the ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1601. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

1,162 72.58%
  • Draw only

328 20.49%
  • Draw and fire

111 6.93%
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree701Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

I flip drivers off. I drive a lot of back country roads, in a convertible, and there are times where my hand shoots into the air all by itself. I don't do it often, but there are times when it all seems necessary, if nothing else, I feel better. I'm usually long gone before they can react. Been told I'll be shot in Texas but maybe they give women in convertibles a break.

Why would you draw your gun and not use it?

Drawn weapon twice. Didn't have to shoot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LikePinkGuns View Post
    My father was STRICT on his daughters and we had to learn to use a gun at an early age. Dad taught us not to threaten. "If you have to pull it out, fire it off." Warning someone that I have a weapon is not in my best interest because they can easily take it away. I'd fire through my purse and blow that designer gift and whoever I'm pointing at to kingdom come.
    -------------------------------
    Why would you draw your gun and not use it?
    Hi Pink!

I've seen this discussed often, and I can definitely see your point. In a large number of situations, including when your opponent is very close and is stronger, the "if I draw I fire" rule has merit. I've seen a scenario performed where a lady draws and hesitates on a home invader, and he disarms her; case and point - she should have fired.

I may well be wrong - I often am! =) But I think there are also many good examples where drawing causes the bad guy to, say, turn and run immediately. In those cases, I think I would hold fire, and be happy I did not need to shoot someone.

VIP Member
    I have not had to draw my weapon.
    My father was STRICT on his daughters and we had to learn to use a gun at an early age. Dad taught us not to threaten. "If you have to pull it out, fire it off." Warning someone that I have a weapon is not in my best interest because they can easily take it away. I'd fire through my purse and blow that designer gift and whoever I'm pointing at to kingdom come.
    I'm curious...How often do you practice taking shots without first acquiring a good sight picture and if you do practice this, how accurate are your shots?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Moving to a new location

VIP Member
    I flip drivers off. I drive a lot of back country roads, in a convertible, and there are times where my hand shoots into the air all by itself. I don't do it often, but there are times when it all seems necessary, if nothing else, I feel better. I'm usually long gone before they can react. Been told I'll be shot in Texas but maybe they give women in convertibles a break.
    Deescalating a potential road rage incident is a much wiser course of action than escalating the situation by flipping someone off because it might make you "feel better."
    Raskolnikov and Ocho 1 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Moving to a new location

Thankfully No to both so far.
    gloves12 likes this.

In 1957 I was 16 I went to the County Fair for lunch. A police man I didn't know had tried to shoot a dog with his service pistol and run out of ammo and still had a live dog. I opened my trunk and showed him my shot gun and he nodded yes. I loaded it with 2 high base #7 1/2s and got close and used one barrel.

The cop looked a little sick and put the gun in my trunk and ate dinner. The cop didn't hang around town very long I never met him and worked for one of the policemen.

Fortunately I have never had to deal with men and I try to plan things so I don't interact with those that might cause me to need to draw a gun. I do my best to be ready if I ever have to. The one place I am most likely to be caught unaware is at home.

Red

The writer is the engineer of the human soul. -Joseph Stalin
    Last edited by oldRed; March 18th, 2015 at 02:18 AM. Reason: failed to stay on topic

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonHolsters View Post
    Ive had to draw three times and fired once at a group of thugs who was armed with bats and knives while on the move, here is the bad part no hits but it did defuse the situation so i could leave.
    Glad you came out alright bro. James.

Only time that I ever would of had to pull my firearm I couldn't of. It happened at work. I'm a garbage man and I work in a dangerous city. Was leaving a stop as their neighbor 2 houses down was pulling out, cutting me off. Happens all the time no big deal just let off the gas and slowed down letting them go. Well as they were pulling out I notice the guy in the backseat, waving a gun at me. They took off in the opposite direction, so I continued working watching my back constantly for the rest of the day.

A couple months ago I was doing my paperwork on the side of the road after i iust finished the route. The truck I was in is a one man truck, basically the trucks you see dumping dumpsters with a bucket attached to the front. They are dual drives meaning you flip a switch and can drive from the right side of the truck, but makes the left side gear selector and gas pedal inoperable while the switch is on the right side. Anyways I'm doing the paper work and I notice a guy walking up behind the truck on the driver side, where I was sitting at the time, with his jacket half unzipped and his hand in his coat...literally looked like he had a gun. And to top it off he was walking so close to the truck his shoulders were almost touching the truck. I decide it's probably a good idea to get out of there so I release the brake and hit drive. Although nothing happens. I knew as soon as it wouldn't go into drive that I left it on right side drive. So I watched the guy coming up the side and since I couldn't get out of there I instictevly put my hand on the door handle and pulled it, thinking of he tried anything I'm going to shove the door as hard as I can into him. As he's right beside my door he pulls his hand out of his pocket and waves and continues on his way. Ever since that I always make sure to switch the truck over to the side I'm on first thing.

There was one time that I thought I would have to draw. I had stopped at speedway and was just about to leave. My gun sits in between my seat and my center console in my truck. Both windows were down at the time. I was taking a minute to send a text before I took off when I look over and see someone running at my truck. My hand instantly moved to the gun. He came up and was just asking for directions. I left my hand over the gun covering the whole time. Both not to scare him and have easy access to it if needed. After all was said and done I realized the one thing I didn't watch was the left side of my truck during this. Could of been a possible set up for a car jacking or whatever else by distracting me from the passenger side allowing someone to come up the driver side.

I guess maybe, now that I think of it I have drawn once. At home. I had cable installed while I was at work. Both me and my fiancé were at work so we had her mom over to wait for the guy. Well as I was walking out of work my fiancé told me to call her mom, that something the cable guy did freaked her out. So I call her and apparently the cable guy was talking some non sense. Said a few times that if he didn't get enough sleep at night soon he was gonna kill someone. And on top of that, we had a empty box in the living room. The cable guy felt it necessary to pick my cat up and shut him in the box. And from what o was told he was laughing and teasing the cat and thought it was funny. So I get home, and I'm walking into the house when I hear a TV on in my bedroom. And my back door was open a crack. No one is suppose to be home. So I pulled my m&p 40 I carried at the time and cleared my whole house. Every closet every room even under the sinks. I even searched my shed. Nothing. Turns out the fiancés mom was so freaked out that as soon as the cable guy took off she left and forgot that he had used the back door, so she didn't check that, and left the TV on. I was a little irritated about the door part though. I did call charter and tell them what happened however I doubt anything came of it.
    gloves12 likes this.

Are you Threatening me?

Don't count on it... I have multiple buddies with smoke tunes on their trucks... Let's just say I've seen multiple convertibles with tan interiors turn black... They'll only do it if you cut them off, brake check them, etc. or flip them the bird....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thread. I've drawn twice only in my house. The first time was after my house alarm had gone off while we were gone, so I drove home (we were at my in laws only 7 mins away) to clear the house. Found nothing. 2nd time I heard a strange noise in my house while I was home, so I again cleared the house just to be safe.

I've never had to do either. Happy to hear that is the majority
    gloves12 likes this.

I have only had to draw and fire once on all the time I carried Concealed, and unfortunately, it was against two dogs that were in my wife's parent's front yard (she was my girlfriend at the time), two German Shepherds came into the yard as we were leaving. We back away from the dogs and she entered the house, I drew my weapon, firing two rounds toward each dog. Immediately afterward, I dialed the local police station, reported the incident and unloaded and cleared my weapon leaving it on the kitchen table. When the police, arrived, I was frisked and questioned. I was a little worried as they called in a supervisor, later the supervisor advised me that the arriving officer wanted to place charges on me, since there was a retreat avenue, and since my wife had made it into the house, I could have done the same. I think, since I was working for the County as a Community Supervision Officer (Probation Officer), the supervisor did not see any reason to approve placing any charges. The local news showed up and I was on the news from a distance, since I asked the officer to keep them off the property. The aftermath came from my employer as I was called in to explain my actions to the Chief Deputy Probation Officer and explain why I was carrying a gun, unknown to them, I was licensed to carry concealed in TEXAS, Probation Officers are allowed to carry for duties purposes, as the disgretion of the local County Chief Deputy Probation Officer, which at that time, unknown if authorized now. The questions came down to whether I was on duty at the time, (most home visits occurred on the weekend) and whether I carried my weapon while on duty at any time, both questions were answered with NO, but I did carry all the time, except while in the office. Another event which had me draw and expose my weapon was late one night, after I got home from a movie, I had just got home when I had someone pounding on my front door and when I asked who it was, I was replied by, "I need to speak with ___" I shout back that they had the wrong apartment. But the person insisted to speak with ____. I open the door with my pistol to the side and calmly explained they had the wrong address, I am not sure if they saw the pistol or just seeing my face, they realized they had the wrong apartment and apologized and left.

It is a pretty heart pounding event to be put into such situations, but with all my personal and military training, I felt I was prepared to handle the situation effectively. I am currently getting my Paperwork ready to apply for my license, as I have recently left the military and let my license expire.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links