Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - Page 28

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've aimed at firearm at another human only once. The neighbor across the road decided to pull a four foot aluminum level out of his ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1602. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

1,163 72.60%
  • Draw only

328 20.47%
  • Draw and fire

111 6.93%
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
Like Tree701Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

I've aimed at firearm at another human only once. The neighbor across the road decided to pull a four foot aluminum level out of his toolbox & swing it at my father, who was complaining about the neighbor's muffler-less vehicle. Dad suffered a small cut on his arm in the incident, the neighbor backed down quickly after seeing me with a firearm, and the sheriff's department let the whole thing quiet down after some lengthy conversations.

I really don't want to repeat the scenario.

I was, however, happy to learn that the neighbor died in prison some years later.

Drew once on an aggressive dog, that turned out to belong to a neighbor, came in my yard and started acting like it wanted to attack. It was a learning experience in that I had been carrying a .38 air weight j-frame in my back pocket. I went to the edge of the yard to pick up the newspaper and was headed back into the yard when I heard the dog behind me. In the process, during which time I was anticipating getting bit, I managed to drop the newspaper and my car keys while fumbling for my gun. Part of that I am sure was the loss of fine motor skills caused by the adrenalin rush, but it was still a lesson.

I work at an institution where carry is legally outlawed but keep one in my car. This has always presented unique challenges, especially when stopping somewhere on the way to or on the way home from work as an IWB holster wasn't really practical with tucked shirts and not being able to conveniently remove or replace it while in the car. Recently I decided to get an OWB holster that clips on my belt that is easy to remove and replace without removing the gun from the holster, which avoids another issue of unnecessary handling. I used this tactic the other day and stopped at the grocery store on my way home and as a result open carried. While it is perfectly legal and nobody cared that I noticed, I still felt like everybody was staring at me like I was naked or something.
    gloves12 likes this.

In the states I've drawn twice, thankfully, never had to fire. First was a crackhead knocking on my window in a car wash. He looked tweaked out and I had my kids with me. I pulled my Glock 38 (now traded for a Shield 9mm) and pointed it at him through the window. It looked like it wasn't the first time he had a gun pointed at him, but he promptly left.

The second was a road rager in a parking lot. He got out of the car and started walking towards me. I only had my S&W Bodyguard because I was taking the old lady out to dinner. Not knowing his intentions or if he was armed, I unholstered it and had it at the low ready. He also got back in his car quickly and left. Thankfully neither situation escalated.

27 months in Iraq, yeah, I've pointed a weapon at a few people and let some rounds fly. Hopefully I never have to do it again.
    gloves12, bigpapa and 1OldDog2 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I was probably 16, at home alone with my 3 younger brothers, and little sister. It had just gotten dark, and a guy came to the door. My younger brother answered it, and he said he needed to come in to fix a gas leak. I ran upstairs and got our 22 rifle, loaded it, and pointed it through the crack in the door (from the stairs) to where he was standing. He was chatting up my brother, and then we made eye contact, and he quickly said he had the wrong house, and left.

Interesting point of view here. I've never had to draw MY weapon nor fire, other than in country in Kuwait when I was enlisted... Where I did both, but...
    The reason I got a permit and carry today is this: While exiting my car in a parking area for postal contractors, I was met immediately at my car door by a man with a revolver no more than 6 inches from my face.
    My Lt. (acting company commander) when I was enlisted taught Shotokan Karate and took several of us nerdy Intel guys under his wing. He was a pragmatic and deeply committed leader who was a ranger qualified officer. One of the "moves" he drilled us on was disarming an enemy in close quarters. Divert and secure the muzzle, grasp and squeeze hand between the thumb and wrist while pushing the muzzle around. If done correctly, the grip slides immediately into your hand. It was nigh on impossible for me, as the practice partners always knew it was coming... But we must have drilled on it "a thousand times".
    When I looked up and saw the revolver in my face, I grabbed the muzzle instantly and I had the weapon before even I realized it. I leveled it to his midsection and pulled the trigger. The gun did not fire, as I learned it was unloaded. The man fled at an alarming rate of speed.
    I called 911 and reported. A beat cop and a violent crimes detective came in short order. As I relayed the account to the detective, I nearly passed out. I was a coincidence away from killing a guy. That really messed with me.
    I got a permit that week and began carrying whenever possible.
    Couple of lessons learned as the years and reflecting have coached me.
    1. Do not show unless you mean business... And unless necessity demands, stay back more than a large man can lunge. There are people who can and will disarm you before you can react cogently. I am pretty far from the kind of man who can and will, but training and instinct and luck are game changers.
    2. there are very few, if any at all, reasons that you can list outside of a particular situation to point a weapon at someone without pulling the trigger. If you aren't prepared to do what needs to be done, putting the weapon out there is dangerous to you as much or more so than to your opponent. Of course, showing has proven to diffuse lots of situations, but I do not believe I could be convinced that it is a wise tactical option without serious situational training... Such as LE officers receive.
    Finally... If you decide to carry, think long and hard about "it". The reality of shooting somebody point blank messed with my head and I didn't even shoot them. It was nothing like firing my rifle in uniform. A decade later and I am still constantly assessing the "what if"s.
    Last edited by toid; May 28th, 2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: correct typo

Quote Originally Posted by mballz23 View Post
    Don't count on it... I have multiple buddies with smoke tunes on their trucks... Let's just say I've seen multiple convertibles with tan interiors turn black... They'll only do it if you cut them off, brake check them, etc. or flip them the bird....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You have "buddies" that do those things. If I had a buddy that did that and told me about it, first i would explain to him how wrong that is and if he did not agree with me we would no longer be buddies.
    OD*, arizona and ep1953 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by toid View Post
    Interesting point of view here. I've never had to draw MY weapon nor fire, other than in country in Kuwait when I was enlisted... Where I did both, but...
    The reason I got a permit and carry today is this: While exiting my car in a parking area for postal contractors, I was met immediately at my car door by a man with a revolver no more than 6 inches from my face.
    My Lt. (acting company commander) when I was enlisted taught Shotokan Karate and took several of us nerdy Intel guys under his wing. He was a pragmatic and deeply committed leader who was a ranger qualified officer. One of the "moves" he drilled us on was disarming an enemy in close quarters. Divert and secure the muzzle, grasp and squeeze hand between the thumb and wrist while pushing the muzzle around. If done correctly, the grip slides immediately into your hand. It was nigh on impossible for me, as the practice partners always knew it was coming... But we must have drilled on it "a thousand times".
    When I looked up and saw the revolver in my face, I grabbed the muzzle instantly and I had the weapon before even I realized it. I leveled it to his midsection and pulled the trigger. The gun did not fire, as I learned it was unloaded. The man fled at an alarming rate of speed.
    I called 911 and reported. A beat cop and a violent crimes detective came in short order. As I relayed the account to the detective, I nearly passed out. I was a coincidence away from killing a guy. That really messed with me.
    I got a permit that week and began carrying whenever possible.
    Couple of lessons learned as the years and reflecting have coached me.
    1. Do not show unless you mean business... And unless necessity demands, stay back more than a large man can lunge. There are people who can and will disarm you before you can react cogently. I am pretty far from the kind of man who can and will, but training and instinct and luck are game changers.
    2. there are very few, if any at all, reasons that you can list outside of a particular situation to point a weapon at someone without pulling the trigger. If you aren't prepared to do what needs to be done, putting the weapon out there is dangerous to you as much or more so than to your opponent. Of course, showing has proven to diffuse lots of situations, but I do not believe I could be convinced that it is a wise tactical option without serious situational training... Such as LE officers receive.
    Finally... If you decide to carry, think long and hard about "it". The reality of shooting somebody point blank messed with my head and I didn't even shoot them. It was nothing like firing my rifle in uniform. A decade later and I am still constantly assessing the "what if"s.
    Sounds to me like you reacted perfectly and the assailant got REALLY lucky. Sounds like it was a win/win situation for all involved.
    gloves12 likes this.

Fired twice. Drew once. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by LikePinkGuns View Post
    I flip drivers off. I drive a lot of back country roads, in a convertible, and there are times where my hand shoots into the air all by itself. I don't do it often, but there are times when it all seems necessary, if nothing else, I feel better. I'm usually long gone before they can react. Been told I'll be shot in Texas but maybe they give women in convertibles a break.
    You may have the wrong attitude to carry a weapon ..........

NEVER add fuel to a fire.........

That's not what carrying is about

Peace is better
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Some people view the "brake check" maneuver as aggressive behavior, and your "version of sign language" simply added to the recipient's anger. I can't think of anything good that's ever come from flipping someone off. But that's just me - I'm a devout coward and avoid physical confrontations.
    No.... you are smart
    Struckat, OD* and euro like this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Drawn my weapon 2 times.
    I was once leaving a parking garage in Memphis. My buddy was in the car who is also a LEO and conceal carries said someone is coming up to the car. He was a young little punk thugged out. He came and tapped on my window with a snub nosed revolver. I had blacked out windows so you couldn't see in the car. I rolled down my window and he was met with my Taurus 845 and my buddies Glock 21 sticking right in the face. I got out of the car and my buddy called the police department while I held him on the ground at gun point. Turns out he was wanted for Grand Theft Auto. He did it to a woman the week before. He walked up to a car with a gun and told her to get out. Then took off with the car. When I had him on the ground I told him it was a dumb move to mess with an Police officer and a Fed.
    ShowMeState1977 and Ocho 1 like this.

Yes and yes. Next question.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Fired in self defense twice against people, several times against animals. In my former life as a cop, drew a weapon many times. As an old retired has-been, haven't had to yet. Hope not to.
    gloves12 likes this.

A feint did the trick!

In about 1985, I was out walking at night near my home. A cadillac with dark-tinted windows drove up to me from behind and slowed down by me, then drove on. A few seconds later it came back on the other side of the street, slowed down again like they were checking me out, then drove on. A few seconds later it came up from behind me again and was coming to a stop by my side, all windows still up, when I clutched the left side of my open sweatshirt with my left hand and stuck my right hand inside as if I was about to draw. With this, the car high-tailed it out of there and didn't return. Pretty effective, considering I was unarmed!
    gloves12 and Raskolnikov like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robert98597 View Post
    One night in 1992 My wife , 2 kids & I got lost while driving in Augusta Ga ( I was stationed at FT. Gordon). we came up to stop light at a deserted intersection, my wife was looking at a map trying to figure out if we needed to turn or go straight. Three "Shady" individuals were at the light and started to cross the stree from our left, they suddenly started to make bee line for my door. I was at least 20 feet from the crosswalk in case we need to get into a different lane. I drew my taurus 44 special and let the barrel be seen above the door frame ( it was summer & I had my window rolled down). The "Shady" gentlemen made a U turn & hauled ass. I then ran the light & hauled ass myself.
    Hey I was stationed at Ft. Gordon, I was Navy though. And yeah... Come on. In Augusta you have to carry. Unless you're on post. That place is just "shady" in general

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links