Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - Page 29

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dragman I have while in the vehicle gotten a firearm out and ready, but no one could see it but me. I ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1601. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

1,162 72.58%
  • Draw only

328 20.49%
  • Draw and fire

111 6.93%
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
Like Tree701Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I have while in the vehicle gotten a firearm out and ready, but no one could see it but me. I have also put my hand on my gun without drawing it in a pinch but as far as pistols that is it. I have pulled my shot gun to save myself, but didnt fire it.
    Love your avatar! I remember seeing Falling Down when it first came out. There were some funny bits in that movie!

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    I only had to go as far as putting my hand on the grip.

Thumbs up Not as easy as the movies

sorry, I answered yes to draw and fire which is true but I do not technically have my conceal carry yet. It was inside my home and self defense against someone who knocked on the wrong door. Well kicked in the wrong door I guess you could say.

I have to thank my mom (peace be with her) who as a LEO taught me how to handle shooting someone if it ever came to be. Step by step she drilled it into my head from the time I have to decide to take a life to the call what to say all the way until the first deputies get there. The lead detective said it was a textbook shooting that he could not have written it better. Thanking mom for that! I was scared as this happened in FL just after the Zimmerman case. I thought the media would hang me. I got lucky and it never made the front page it was hushed up and swept under the rug.

What my mom did not prepare me for was the PTSD that came weeks later. The day dreams thinking what if I had just aimed lower or higher or if I had just took him on by hand (I did actually fight him before it happened but he was high on drugs and was tossing me around like a rag doll. I weight 400lbs he was deadly). It got pretty bad not having any type of real LEO training on how to handle an event like that. I am totally cool now it has passed over time and wasn't horribly bad but was there. I can see now why LEO see a shrink after a shooting. Seeing someone stand there look at you in the eyes and ask you if that was a real gun before they hit the ground isn't something you will forget in a few days. He also swallowed a bottle of xanax, 90 1mg pills after he collapsed. He had a death wish for sure.

I would do it again if I had to protect myself or another. I feel for anyone who ever has to fire their weapon into another human cause the aftermath can sometime be tough. But always your life is just as important and should always be first.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I don't know if this counts but I have had a home invasion scenario where I had to draw and fire...

I have had 3-4 other scenarios outside the home that ONLY required me to draw my weapon to defuse the situation. Outside of the home I have not had to draw and fire my ccw

Had to show it and grab it, twice. Never pulled it or fired yet. But always ready.

I owned a retail store for a few years, sold motorcycle parts, clothing, accessories, leather, etc... I carried everyday, one night at closing a guy comes in that gave me the creeps, I was standing behind the counter and he was on the other side of a 4' pony wall, I had my S & W 1911 in my hand and pointed it at him below the counter as he jittered around with his hands in his pockets and asked stupid questions. I thought for sure, he was going to do something stupid and the only thing between us was a few sheets of drywall that pony wall was built out of and the counter sat on top of.

It was as close as I came, safety off, finger on slide, just waiting..... I said "hey it's 7, got to close up and he turned and walked out the door, never having an idea how close he came....

The only time I came close was in 1994, on our anniversary my wife and I drove into the Cascade mountains in our camper to spend a few days fishing and hiking. We stopped at a likely spot to camp, we got out to check the area out, my wife was standing near the truck I was 10 yards in front on the driver door, a dog ran out of the brush and came up to me, our dog was checking him out, I knelt down for a moment, facing my wife when I saw her react to something behind me.
    I turned just in time to see a tall skinny, grubby man run out of the tree line, he had a large wood club/cane like stick, he babbling some very nasty names toward my wife, totally incoherent, Biblical stuff, said she had to die!
    I stood up and got between them, he charged me I didn't have time to do anything but grab the stick, we struggled to control it. I turned him so his back was to her, (by now we are 5 feet from the truck) he continued ranting about my wife being a Jezzebelle and how he was the rath of God, I swear, everything went into slow motion, I thought, this guy is nuts! And I have to stop him, he was so filthy he reeked.
    I thought about punching him, then I saw his black teeth and thought it to dangerous to risk punching him.
    I maneuvered my right leg behind his right leg and twisted the stick, did a hip roll and threw him to the ground. Threw the stick as far as I could, and yelled " get the --// away from us you crazy old ---!
    He started to scramble away but as he reached the tree line he stopped and yelled more crazy stuff and said he was going to get his rifle!
    I had my .44 spl. but I thought bettering it. I didn't know the area as well as he did, he could shoot from the tree line, so we got the heck out of there!
    We drove to the Ranger Station and reported what happened and where we had been, the Ranget said they had been looking for this nut for months,meh had been raiding cabins, camp sights, breaking into cars. I never heard if they caught him.
    You can never drop your guard.
    Raskolnikov and gloves12 like this.

Never drawn, never fired, only one time had my hand on my weapon but didn't have to draw.

I am almost getting the feeling that some of you feel quite proud to state you have drawn and fired ?

Quote Originally Posted by BritishPaul View Post
    I am almost getting the feeling that some of you feel quite proud to state you have drawn and fired ?
    Understand that sometimes when things get boring, some people tend to embellish their stories. And truthfully, it has been a little boring over here. After all, it's been nearly 200 years since the last time we had to grab our muskets and boot anybody out of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by locotest View Post
    You have "buddies" that do those things. If I had a buddy that did that and told me about it, first i would explain to him how wrong that is and if he did not agree with me we would no longer be buddies.
    Never said I condone it. I wouldn't ever do that. But I do know guys that do, do that. "Buddies" used loosely. I don't hang out with the guys. I know them, they know me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never as a civilian but quite often while in Vietnam.

New Member Array robertwalters19's Avatar
    Nope, thankfully I've never had to and hopefully I never will.

Drawn/brandished twice, never shot. I worked two security jobs in back in the mid-'70's, one as a plain-clothes store detective for a major department store in downtown St. Louis and the other as a uniformed security patrolman for an upscale private neighborhood in St. Louis County. For both, I had credintials, was firearms authorized and had basically police arrest powers.

In the first job, I apprehended a shoplifter just outside the store, he resisted and had to wrestle him into cuffs. As I was dragging him back in the store, we got surrounded by passers-by of his same ethnic persuasion and they started making threats and advancing. I opened my jacket to reveal my S&W M36 in an AIWB holster and put my hand on the grip. When they saw the gun, they kept threatening, but stopped advancing. Once I got us back in the store, they did not follow. I had it in my mind, though, that if they had gotten hands-on, I would have shot.

On the uniform job, I was walking a paved drainage ditch that ran through the neighborhood. It was a haven for all sorts of mischief. I could tell there was someone hiding in some foliage, very close. I shined my light and drew my gun in case that someone had hostile intent. Whoever it was ran off. In that case, I really didn't expect to need the gun, but I was just being cautious.

Things were different back then.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishPaul View Post
    Many of the posts convey a very different sentiment. Read them again.
    Harryball and Ocho 1 like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links