Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - Page 30

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BritishPaul I am almost getting the feeling that some of you feel quite proud to state you have drawn and fired ? ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

1,156 72.61%
  • Draw only

325 20.41%
  • Draw and fire

111 6.97%
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
Like Tree695Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

Quote Originally Posted by BritishPaul View Post
    I am almost getting the feeling that some of you feel quite proud to state you have drawn and fired ?
    A few points about your question:
    1. I don't think any sane person is glad something like that happened. At least I hope not, and I'm not getting that vibe off of anyone here.
    2. There is something I learned in the military that if you are trained and equipped to do something extraordinary, even if it is terrible, maybe even especially if it is terrible, it's OK to be proud you met expectations when the time came.
    3. People who have justifiably done something terrible often deal with it with some nonchalance, or even bluster. It's a common method of reducing cognitive dissonance. It's not to be confused with being glad it happened.
    4. This forum is a place where specific information about such things are shared. People who have been through something everything everyone here is interested in are happy to share it for others' benefit.
    5. Finally, this is the internet. I think there are a small minority of people who like to brag about things that never happened, that they have never done. Every site on any topic has them. We should pity those people.
    6. I have to wonder why someone from the UK, a country that is very anti-gun, asks such a provocative, leading question on his first post. I have to wonder what your agenda is. I suspect you are a troll.
    piguy, ccw9mm, srvctec and 7 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    You folks are wasting your time with BritishPaul, he made a hit & run post as hasn't been back since.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You folks are wasting your time with BritishPaul, he made a hit & run post as hasn't been back since.
    I think the next time they get in a war with Germany, and you know it has to happen, it's like in their DNA or something, we don't bail their butts out. We certainly don't send them any private guns to rearm the populace. At this point, they don't have guns because they don't deserve them!
    OD* likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Drawn - Once. Downtown Dallas, late at night, walking with wife, being followed by two men. We kept crossing the
    street to see if they followed - they did. Told my wife we were being followed and that it was making me nervous as the adrenaline started to pump. Its like I knew. We crossed the street again for the third time, and yet again, they picked up their pace and crossed. They started walking faster, hand was on pistol, turned a corner, told my wife to continue walking, I stayed just around corner. They popped around that corner, one had something in his hand that looked like a makeshift screwdriver, and they got a nice view down the barrel on my G23. They took off like they were on fire.

Drawn and Fired - Once. New Years eve, walking the dogs with my 8 year old step daughter, cold and misty and dark. (I live in the country). Saw something way down the street coming at us in a sprint. Before I knew it, a pitbull had gotten free from its yard and started attacking my german shepherd. After multiple kicks, punches, pistol whips, and 2 warning shots, one of which was less than an inch from his ear (thought that would end it). Dog came up off my dog, lunged towards me and my step daughter, who at this time was freaking the hell out, fired one shot, center mass. Dog backed up, did a little circle walk, dropped dead. Whole thing took place in less a minute.

Fired on a human being - well, thats classified. : ) I did serve time in Mosul, Iraq as a frontline Army medic doing PSD. As a CHL holder - never. Just the four legged dog hell bent on killing my dogs and my stepdaughter and myself.

Never to both questions Praise God.
    arizona likes this.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

Drawn and point at ground - 2 times
    Drawn and pointed at target - 2 times
    Drawn and fired - 1 time. I actually intentionally shot at the sky. This was in another country. I was sleeping on a screened in porch at night. A noise woke me up. I looked around and saw a man trying to jimmy the lock on the outside door. I pulled my old S&W Chief from under my pillow and fired once (fired high) to scare the guy. He took off very, very quickly.

New Member Array Jellopuddinpop's Avatar
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

I registered to the site to post in this topic because of an event that happened just this past weekend.

My answer to the poll is Yes / Yes. Drawn twice, fired once.

The first event was about 6 years ago. My girlfriend at the time (current wife) was using an ATM machine a few yards away when a man came up behind her and demanded she withdraw money. I drew my weapon to low-ready and shouted something at him that I canít exactly remember. He turned toward me and I saw he was holding a small hunting knife. He took a few steps towards me and I shot 3 times at center mass. He dropped the knife and ran off, and made it about 3 blocks before succumbing. The police arrive, and I was cuffed for their investigation. They pulled the ATM security footage and were able to verify my account of the events, and I was released later that night. The family brought an unlawful death suit against me, and I was forced to hire a lawyer. I won the court case, but all in all it ended up being a tragic and very expensive event.

The other time was just this last Friday night. I woke up in the middle of the night after hearing breaking glass downstairs. I told my wife to take her gun into bathroom and lock the door, and to call 911. I went downstairs with weapon drawn and found the guy digging through my medicine cabinet. I told him to show me his hands, and he did (Iím sure he wound have ran, but he was in my bathroom and would have needed to run past me. I was far enough away and I could see he was unarmed so I didnít feel threatened at that moment, but it was very tense. Before the police arrived, I heard my dogís collar coming down the stairs and realized that my wife had let him out of his crate. When my dog rounded the corner, he made a mad dash for the guy in my bathroom (this is a 110lb Cane Corso btw). I was able to hold the dog off until the police arrived, but the intruder was absolutely terrified and crying. A little piece of me almost felt bad for him, until I remembered that this guy just broke into my home. The police later told me that the guy was strung out on Heroin and looking for pain pills or anything of value.
    PJR202 and iCameforleg like this.

We don't generally talk about stuff like that.

I've drawn once, never fired.

Bill B

I have never had to fire in self defense, hope I never will, how ever I will protect my family.

Had to show it once

Quote Originally Posted by kdangler View Post
    If you are a CCW holder:

Have you ever had to draw and/or shoot your weapon in self-defense?
    Crazy person rushed my car, while I was in an arm sling with my window down, I had no defense so I just lifted up so they could see it......stopped them in their tracks. I hope it's the last time too!
    Last edited by OD*; May 21st, 2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Repair quote

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    No to both & hope i never have to, but iam prepared to do whatever is nesassary for my familys safety
    Similar story drew my weapon on what turned out to be some drunk chick going into the wrong house, mine. Lucky my neighbor stopped in the doorway that she kicked open. I actually got physically sick afterwards . Not because I drew my weapon but because this woman stupidity almost cost her her life and me a lot of grief . It was that close. Papa bears don't mess around when his man Cubs are sleep in there room.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy42 View Post
    Similar story drew my weapon on what turned out to be some drunk chick going into the wrong house, mine. Lucky my neighbor stopped in the doorway that she kicked open. I actually got physically sick afterwards . Not because I drew my weapon but because this woman stupidity almost cost her her life and me a lot of grief . It was that close. Papa bears don't mess around when his man Cubs are sleep in there room.
    My sister got so drunk she when it to wrong apartment. She ate the persons food, she pissed on the persons couch, and woke up to the barrel of a shotgun. The guy called the cops and the owner didn't press charges they could tell she was just a drunk moron. The cop said we found your car earlier it's two blocks over, the key is in the ignition, car was still running, door was open, parked on the sidewalk, and you ran over someone's garbage pail. I should have been horrified she could have killed someone but I almost had a stroke I laughed so hard when I heard the story. My parents said the cops thought it was quite funny also. When they told my parents the story my mom said the cop was trying not to laugh.
    iCameforleg likes this.

I'm kinda missing the humor there, maybe it's just me.
    yocoffee likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    I'm kinda missing the humor there, maybe it's just me.
    I really isn't funny but I still laugh at it. It actually was very serious she or someone else could have been hurt. Luckily the only thing hurt was the guys couch. If it was me she would have been buying me a new couch.

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links