Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - Page 31

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ericb327 I Don't think prematurely is accurate, the threats were nuetralised before deadly force was used. Not letting them get close enough ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1590. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

1,155 72.64%
  • Draw only

324 20.38%
  • Draw and fire

111 6.98%
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
Like Tree693Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I Don't think prematurely is accurate, the threats were nuetralised before deadly force was used. Not letting them get close enough to cause harm in my case was a good idea in my case. I my opinion. I'm glad police don't shoot every time they draw.
    Ohhhhh.....I hate that saying with a passion. The whole "if I have to draw, I'm shooting" saying is such a load of bull squat. Your firearm is a threat neutralizer. That means if you draw your weapon and the threat stops advancing, retreats, or surrenders then the threat is neutralized. If the threat continues to be a threat, then by all means, drop the hammer until the threat is stopped.

For instance, a man cut me as well as the vehicle beside me off on the highway about three years ago. The other driver honked, I did not. Guy thought it was me and followed me to the gas station. Guy pulls to a stop right in front of me and jumps out with a baseball bat. I reach down and put my hand on my firearm that's holstered between the seats. Guys gets up to my driver's side windows and starts punching and kicking my door. I draw my firearm up just high enough to not quite clear leather and let the guy see whats in my hand. Guy backs off, gets in his car and tears off. I call 911 to report the incident and an officer takes a report.

In this case I could have let the guy get more worked up than he currently was and perhaps have been forced to shoot him if he was able to gain entry into my vehicle. I also could have done exactly what I did and diffuse the situation, so no one had to perhaps die.

I don't consider what I did as drawing since I didn't completely clear leather, but even if it had I doubt the situation would have turned out any differently.
    srvctec, MAJOkie and ep1953 like this.

2012 i worked for an oilfield company and had some issues with another employee who thought he was top dog or some nonsense. Well its an open shop the owner and gm are firm believers in owning guns etc. I always kept a pistol in my console. Well one day that guy was cleaning his little 2 shot pistol, a judge or something like that, i walked by and i didnt hear him but according to other employees that saw he said something nasty in spanish and pointed his gun at the back of my head when i walked by. I found out and told the guy that i dont play around like that when it comes to guns, never ever point his gun at me again. Well hes known to be in and cause trouble so when i was leaving work i pull up to the shop to grab something i see him standing there with his gun pointed at me as i was getting out. He didnt see me reach in my console and grab my fully loaded 9mm, i cocked it and aimed at him, i told him he better get think about it cause i dont play that sh** he looked like he crapped himself and put down his gun. I let the boss know what happened and they ran him off for threatening me twice.
    Ocho 1 and BayekofSiwa like this.

I have 29 yrs. as a LEO, carried open and concealed nearly every day. Two off-duty incidents may be of interest to you. A year or so ago a young man followed me into a parking lot in a "road rage" incident. He threatened me. I identified myself as a LEO ,showed him my badge and told him I was armed. He did not care. He took a couple of swings at me and when I slipped his punches and countered with a couple jabs he finally decided to leave. I never felt in fear for my life and did not draw down on him.
    Another incident some years ago; My wife and I and another couple came out of a show one night in a city in the Northeast. As we exited the building I saw a young black male across the street . I turned and saw another on the corner. I turned again and saw the first man walking up behind us. Classic pincer movement. I swept my jacket back, put my hand on my pistol and asked if I could help him. He took off running, as did his partner. Situational Awareness allowed me to prevail without having to shoot, Training gave me the confidence to handle it either way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver098 View Post
    I have 29 yrs. as a LEO, carried open and concealed nearly every day. Two off-duty incidents may be of interest to you. A year or so ago a young man followed me into a parking lot in a "road rage" incident. He threatened me. I identified myself as a LEO ,showed him my badge and told him I was armed. He did not care. He took a couple of swings at me and when I slipped his punches and countered with a couple jabs he finally decided to leave. I never felt in fear for my life and did not draw down on him.
    Another incident some years ago; My wife and I and another couple came out of a show one night in a city in the Northeast. As we exited the building I saw a young black male across the street . I turned and saw another on the corner. I turned again and saw the first man walking up behind us. Classic pincer movement. I swept my jacket back, put my hand on my pistol and asked if I could help him. He took off running, as did his partner. Situational Awareness allowed me to prevail without having to shoot, Training gave me the confidence to handle it either way.
    Glad you never had to unholster your weapon either time. Also, thank you for your service.

But with regard to your second story, you were able to prevent that situation simply by paying attention. Being aware, noticing suspicious activities. These are things that are sorely lacking in society today. People are so buried in their smartphones, earbuds constantly planted in their ears, oblivious to the world around them. Because OF your awareness, even if you had not been armed, you could have prevented that altogether probably by going back into the theater until the situation cleared itself, or until those two men left the area. I think this is a huge point.
    Ocho 1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    Ohhhhh.....I hate that saying with a passion. The whole "if I have to draw, I'm shooting" saying is such a load of bull squat. Your firearm is a threat neutralizer. That means if you draw your weapon and the threat stops advancing, retreats, or surrenders then the threat is neutralized. If the threat continues to be a threat, then by all means, drop the hammer until the threat is stopped.

I agree completely and it doesn’t always have to get to that point either. As Reaver098’s story shows us, using training and SA can avoid most problems. BG’s want easy victims, staying a step ahead and carrying yourself well can be enough to keep you out of trouble in some cases. And if you do have to draw, you shouldn’t necessarily stop trying to deescalate. Just my opinion.
    Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen. - Jeff Cooper

Had an incident the other day. It didn't require me to draw, but required some rest assurance. I was stopped at a little pond in the middle of the city, it has a big walk around path and a couple of small docks on it. I'm on the end of the dock tossing some of my left over bread out to the ducks. To my left is a smaller building with bathrooms on the shore, my right a vets memorial monument. Behind me is the parking lot, and a berm that must be at least ten feet high. I'm throwing some of the last bit of bread and I suddenly get an uneasy feeling. My hair is starting to raise up on the back of my neck and I realize that I should probably start to move. I'm headed back the thirty feet of dock when a younger than I kind crests the berm and is walking down the grass towards the dock some 50' or so to my now right (by the buildings.) He is looking kind of grungy, shaved head (to the scalp) no facial hair, tats, baggy long shirt and pants two sizes too big. He is looking through the cig tray, I pick up the pace, but he must have seen me and starts and pretty decent walk towards me. We literally meet at the end of the dock (he clears 50 or so feet in my 30 feet of walk. I am about 10 feet on the dock yet, no where to go but forward. He says, "Hey, you got some smokes?!" My reply, "No that **** kills you." With a slight chuckle to defuse the tension. He must have not baught it, he says a little more insisting that I must have at least a light then. My reply was no, still. Now I'm still on the dock trying to move to shore, he makes a couple steps forward towards. I say, "Thats close enough, I don't have anything." Him, "aww come on?, You sure?" Now ready to leave, so I start to move with intent, he backs a few steps, puts his hand in his pocket, and mummers something along the lines of being a lier, so I pull my strong hip back about twenty feet from him and say (without any politness.), "I told you, you s.o.b. I aint got nothing so get the f out of here." He wasn't gonna Rob me as fast as them feet was moving out of here.
    scott_see likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Been very close, twice...but, fortunately, never had to draw...the potential perps decided that I must be armed, both times and did not press the issue.

For instance, a man cut me as well as the vehicle beside me off on the highway about three years ago. The other driver honked, I did not. Guy thought it was me and followed me to the gas station. Guy pulls to a stop right in front of me and jumps out with a baseball bat. I reach down and put my hand on my firearm that's holstered between the seats. Guys gets up to my driver's side windows and starts punching and kicking my door. I draw my firearm up just high enough to not quite clear leather and let the guy see whats in my hand. Guy backs off, gets in his car and tears off. I call 911 to report the incident and an officer takes a report.

In this case I could have let the guy get more worked up than he currently was and perhaps have been forced to shoot him if he was able to gain entry into my vehicle. I also could have done exactly what I did and diffuse the situation, so no one had to perhaps die.

I don't consider what I did as drawing since I didn't completely clear leather, but even if it had I doubt the situation would have turned out any differently.
    See , I disagree with about everything you just said.

A gun is not there to stop some guy doing property damage to your car. Drive off, call police ..... avoided and no gun needed at all. I think that use of a gun, is questionable ... it's not a tool to intimidate. So, he had a baseball bat ..... drive off, call police.

I am one of those who typically say .... I don't draw unless I need to shoot. I don't interject a gun .... for a non-life threatening situation (at that point) and try to deal with it in other ways, nor to solve a confrontation. If I draw it (other than prep to clear a room and other such situations) , I do plan to shoot it ... because there is a threat on my life at that point, force is required.

I really think some folks pulling guns in road rage or other confrontations, ought to spend a night in jail .... or more, for brandishing .... if they are using the gun to initimidate a person.

I remember a guy trying to intimidate me once, and told me "I have a gun" , lifted his shirt and showed it to me ...... it was an implied "if you mess with me, I'll shoot you " . I laughed, told him thanks for letting me know ... but "I have one too ... see" ..... " and I have a badge to go with mine, do you ? " . Then pulled out the cuffs and cuffed him. Yep, he was arrested ... and went to jail. Had hunted him down on a felony warrant (a violent rape & additional things) , and he was in illegal possession of a handgun as well.

People should NOT be using their gun as their problem solver.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Draw it? yes, close to a dozen times, but only shot once, at a dog trying to chew my package. I brained it at arm's length. it's always preferable to not have to fire, being fast enough on the ccw draw can give you that option. Let them get started/too close, and you wind up like George Z, on the ground, getting your head beaten in and your gun used on you. I'll risk the brandishing charges, thank you very much!

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by balis View Post
    Draw it? yes, close to a dozen times, but only shot once, at a dog trying to chew my package. I brained it at arm's length. it's always preferable to not have to fire, being fast enough on the ccw draw can give you that option. Let them get started/too close, and you wind up like George Z, on the ground, getting your head beaten in and your gun used on you. I'll risk the brandishing charges, thank you very much!
    12 times? Do you live in Chicago??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i voted never had to draw or fire, but i also never have used my air ambulance medical coverage, never needed blood, or a hart lung transplant, etc. but good to know all possible.

Yes. Two times fired my pistol in the air in two different homes I had rented in RVN in the late 60's. One time, I caught a stranger in my house when I entered. Fired in the air to scare him off. Another time, I was asleep on a screened porch when I awoke and saw someone attempting to get in. Almost fired at him. At the last second, I shot in the air.

Another time, a Korean GI, White Horse division, was coming at me barehanded. I pulled my .45 and held it muzzle down by my side. He turned around and left. Another time, many years later in the US, I had just left my business in an isolated area around 8pm, still light. I had just unlocked my car and heard someone running. Looked and here comes a guy in street clothes coming right at me with a aggressive expression. I reached into my car quickly as I could, got my pistol and showed it to him. Didn't point the muzzle at him. He saw it immediately, stopped and ran the other way. Those are the only times I remember.
    skeeter170 likes this.

Remind me not to rent you my house.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    firefighterguy and Ransom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    See , I disagree with about everything you just said.

A gun is not there to stop some guy doing property damage to your car. Drive off, call police ..... avoided and no gun needed at all. I think that use of a gun, is questionable ... it's not a tool to intimidate. So, he had a baseball bat ..... drive off, call police.

I am one of those who typically say .... I don't draw unless I need to shoot. I don't interject a gun .... for a non-life threatening situation (at that point) and try to deal with it in other ways, nor to solve a confrontation. If I draw it (other than prep to clear a room and other such situations) , I do plan to shoot it ... because there is a threat on my life at that point, force is required.

I really think some folks pulling guns in road rage or other confrontations, ought to spend a night in jail .... or more, for brandishing .... if they are using the gun to initimidate a person.

I remember a guy trying to intimidate me once, and told me "I have a gun" , lifted his shirt and showed it to me ...... it was an implied "if you mess with me, I'll shoot you " . I laughed, told him thanks for letting me know ... but "I have one too ... see" ..... " and I have a badge to go with mine, do you ? " . Then pulled out the cuffs and cuffed him. Yep, he was arrested ... and went to jail. Had hunted him down on a felony warrant (a violent rape & additional things) , and he was in illegal possession of a handgun as well.

People should NOT be using their gun as their problem solver.
    I suppose I should have clarified the situation. I did not realize the guy was even following me. The only reason I knew why he was mad was because he kept screaming at me for honking at him while kicking the crud out of my vehicle ( which I hadn't because I ignore jerks on the road) I pulled into the gas station because i needed gas and cigarettes. I could not back up as another vehicle had pulled up immediately behind me. I was literally blocked off from leaving, unless I decided to open my door and take my chances with the guy that had a bat in his hand. The danger was present and the situation was enough to warrant what I did. The officers that arrived both told me I had acted appropriately.

I have much respect for LEO, but please don't tell me that you would have acted any differently if you were a civilian. As a LEO you could have waved your badge through the window and likey have diffused the situation almost immediately. I am however not a LEO, don't carry a badge and do not carry the weight of authority. This was the one and only instance where I was in a situation where my firearm became my only feasible option in my civilian life. I wasn't going to ignore the man. It happened very quickly and his agitation level was rising with every strike to my vehicle. I wasn't going to pick my phone up and lose the ability of having two hands for self defense if he decided to come through my window. From the moment he appeared walking towards my vehicle to the moment he saw my firearm was perhaps 15 seconds. You and I both know that 15 seconds, while in a dangerous situation...it's not a long time.

II have much respect for LEO, but please don't tell me that you would have acted any differently if you were a civilian. As a LEO you could have waved your badge through the window and likey have diffused the situation almost immediately. I am however not a LEO, don't carry a badge and do not carry the weight of authority.
    I dont' either anymore, just relaying a story and how dumb people can be when "displaying " a gun to someone in order to try to initimidate them, and that it's not going to work well with some people (like off duty or plains clothes LEO's, or even armed civilians ). I don't think that display is ever wise to do. It's one reason it's not wise.

I have done things I know most people wouldn't, but that was the point of doing them ..... they were totally unexpected by that person too. Which got them off their game and gave me an advantage. I've coached for about 28 - 29 yrs, and believe me .... I can yell when someone's 110 yrds away and they will hear me over the yelling / cheering crowd. LOL. I have jumped out of a car and yelled at someone asking them what their issue was, and they suddenly didn't have one. I think I shocked them, and that they didn't expect any of that .... let alone how loud I can yell .... which also alerts a lot of other people ... who are now going to pay attention. They don't want people paying attention.

What if , you displayed your gun, he took it badly and then pulled a gun ? What then ? My bet, if you are still walking afterwards, you'ld be the one taken to jail because you were the first to introduce the threat of a deadly weapon. The most they are going to see then , is he was doing property damage .... and that didn't justify the use of deadly force.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links