Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - Page 33

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Morbidrealities At the time he was kicking and beating my vehicle with his free hand. Since he hadn't yet used the bat ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

    1,156 72.61%
  • Draw only

    325 20.41%
  • Draw and fire

    111 6.97%
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
Results 481 to 495 of 545
Like Tree695Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

  1. #481
    Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    At the time he was kicking and beating my vehicle with his free hand. Since he hadn't yet used the bat on my car but was waving it around. I half drew my firearm in preparation, unintentionally letting him see it and he took off. Evidently this was bad according to some people.
    Don't worry about it. We can all sit around and play Monday morning qb on these situations. People like to stir the pot on forums. Someone's always going to disagree.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #482
    VIP Member Array Rhinoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    At the time he was kicking and beating my vehicle with his free hand. Since he hadn't yet used the bat on my car but was waving it around. I half drew my firearm in preparation, unintentionally letting him see it and he took off. Evidently this was bad according to some people.
    I posted a similar situation here. Two guys approached my car with a long stick intending to carjack me after I refused to give them a ride. I placed my SP101 on the dash and they walked away. Nobody got hurt. It would depend on what part of the country you're in on how Law Enforcement would react to this situation. I'm thinking that in Texas and Florida where we have "stand your ground" laws you would prevail. Any decent lawyer would argue disparity of force in my case. There was two of them against one of me. They were armed with a club. Even though I was in my car, the only thing that separated us was an eighth of an inch of safety glass.
    Morbidrealities and gloves12 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

    An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

  3. #483
    Member Array Morbidrealities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    I posted a similar situation here. Two guys approached my car with a long stick intending to carjack me after I refused to give them a ride. I placed my SP101 on the dash and they walked away. Nobody got hurt. It would depend on what part of the country you're in on how Law Enforcement would react to this situation. I'm thinking that in Texas and Florida where we have "stand your ground" laws you would prevail. Any decent lawyer would argue disparity of force in my case. There was two of them against one of me. They were armed with a club. Even though I was in my car, the only thing that separated us was an eighth of an inch of safety glass.
    That was exactly the thing that was running through my head at the time. If he didn't have the bat and was just kicking and punching my vehicle I most likely would have just sat tight and called 911. When he exited his vehicle and hot stepped his way to mine, I wasn't going to lose the use of a hand to pull my phone out of my pocket in case he did swing. During the Court hearing the judge outright dismissed the guys lawyer when he said his defendant saw my firearm. Judge told him that he'd never have seen it if he hadn't gotten out of his vehicle with a bat in his hands and also mentioned that he was lucky I hadn't completely drawn my firearm as I was well within my right to do so in this situation. It is what it is though, I'm glad I didn't have to shoot anyone, and that's all that matters to me.
    Rhinoman and gloves12 like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #484
    VIP Member Array Rhinoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    That was exactly the thing that was running through my head at the time. If he didn't have the bat and was just kicking and punching my vehicle I most likely would have just sat tight and called 911. When he exited his vehicle and hot stepped his way to mine, I wasn't going to lose the use of a hand to pull my phone out of my pocket in case he did swing. During the Court hearing the judge outright dismissed the guys lawyer when he said his defendant saw my firearm. Judge told him that he'd never have seen it if he hadn't gotten out of his vehicle with a bat in his hands and also mentioned that he was lucky I hadn't completely drawn my firearm as I was well within my right to do so in this situation. It is what it is though, I'm glad I didn't have to shoot anyone, and that's all that matters to me.
    Two words to remember in a situation like this, "Tactical Backflip".
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

    An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

  6. #485
    Ex Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    10,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    Also, this wasn't a case of someone beating on my car without me in it. I haven't heard of a case like what you're talking about happening in Texas except for people who shoot someone breaking into their unoccupied vehicle. If that was the case, I'd have stepped back and called the police. I am not worried about stuff. I was fully in the vehicle with him outside, kicking and punching it. He also happened to have a bat in his hands and was threatening me. I am wholeheartedly confused as to why you'd even be under the assumption that I was in the wrong.
    You must speed read and skip things along the way .... I mentioned "a" unoccupied, but the others WERE OCCUPIED and the person was just beating the car to death. The person made no attempt to attack them, and they shot them ..... and they (car owners) are sitting in prison for murder. They claimed self-defense of course, as they "FELT" threatened, but ... the person made no move toward "them" with the bat, etc. .... and no one in the juries apparently bought that a reasonable person would consider it a threat in terms of death or serious bodily injury. It is what the DA can convince the jury of, and what they think is reasonable.

  7. #486
    Senior Member Array Bandit99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    887
    We all hope we know how we will react in a certain situation but until it happens we just do the best we can to prepare. We train, we practice to be proficient with our guns and try and keep up with the laws regarding SD. What one person may perceive as a serious threat another may not. For myself, if someone is coming out of their vehicle with a bat towards my vehicle I would definitely at the very least have my hand on my gun and most likely drawn and keep it on the seat by my leg. Someone correct me if I am wrong but in North Carolina your vehicle is considered the same as your house. A BG smashes the window and try to gain entry you have the right to defend yourself. Everyone has their opinions on how they would react, this is just mine.
    Morbidrealities and USAFAMMO like this.

  8. #487
    Member Array Morbidrealities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    You must speed read and skip things along the way .... I mentioned "a" unoccupied, but the others WERE OCCUPIED and the person was just beating the car to death. The person made no attempt to attack them, and they shot them ..... and they (car owners) are sitting in prison for murder. They claimed self-defense of course, as they "FELT" threatened, but ... the person made no move toward "them" with the bat, etc. .... and no one in the juries apparently bought that a reasonable person would consider it a threat in terms of death or serious bodily injury. It is what the DA can convince the jury of, and what they think is reasonable.
    Because I felt I may have skipped what you said I went back and reread your prior post to me. I don't want to come across like I'm not listening/reading/comprehending what you're saying.

    "There are at least 3 cases I can think of where someone's car was being beat to death by someone with a bat or breaking into it, and the car owner confronted them , then they were shot by the car owner. The car owner's are all doing life in prison for murder."

    Not seeing where you differentiated between occupied and unoccupied. Unless you were responding directly to me I didn't read anything else you said, so if you mentioned it elsewhere, my apologies.

    At this point, I feel you want to argue for argument's sake. I was never charged and on top of that was told by law enforcement as well as the judge that I was well within my right to draw my firearm in this situation as the man had a deadly weapon, was making threats to do me great bodily harm and was beating on my vehicle. He was in the process of committing two violent felonies. You want to argue I was wrong and that's your prerogative, but I'm going to end this here. I did what I felt needed to be done at the time. I'm alive, the other guy is alive, the law says I didn't commit a crime. So there it is. Have a good rest of your day, sir.
    Last edited by Morbidrealities; August 14th, 2016 at 04:28 PM.
    OD* and Anubus like this.

  9. #488
    New Member Array Ridgw003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    1
    Had an opportunity to read through many of the posts. It seems many folks on here have a much more exciting life than mine, thankfully.

    I started carrying after I was shot in a drive by while driving down the freeway. As a consequence of being shot with a .45, and being able to personally vouch for its stopping power, it is now my caliber of choice (another topic that has been discussed ad nauseum).

    I voted that I have drawn and not fired. While at a stoplight in Seattle, I drew my pistol on a particularly aggressive panhandler. Ended the situation. Hope it don't have to again, didn't sleep real well for a few days after that.
    rickcharles606 likes this.

  10. #489
    Member Array Truckinbutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Morgantown , WV
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgw003 View Post
    Had an opportunity to read through many of the posts. It seems many folks on here have a much more exciting life than mine, thankfully.

    I started carrying after I was shot in a drive by while driving down the freeway. As a consequence of being shot with a .45, and being able to personally vouch for its stopping power, it is now my caliber of choice (another topic that has been discussed ad nauseum).

    I voted that I have drawn and not fired. While at a stoplight in Seattle, I drew my pistol on a particularly aggressive panhandler. Ended the situation. Hope it don't have to again, didn't sleep real well for a few days after that.
    Many of us grew up in a much earlier time in more threatening environments . What might hold appeal to younger folks as adventure was just survival for us . No romance involved in the sense of literature .

  11. #490
    New Member Array kjones.0791's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Martinsville,IN
    Posts
    27
    I have drawn once but not fired. A guy walked up behind me with a knife on the sidewalk around 2 in the morning near a hospital. I was walking a few blocks getting some fresh air while waiting on my niece to be born. I saw his shadow coming up fast and drew my firearm/turned around and he was standing there about 5 ft from me with a knife in his hand. He immediately took off running. Luckily the police at the hospital weren't far away and caught him. I'm not sure how much time he got. I'm glad it ended like it did and nobody had to get hurt.

  12. #491
    VIP Member Array Sister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    4,098
    yes and yes.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

    UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

    EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF




  13. #492
    Member Array 99taws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Killeen
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    yes and yes.
    Amazing post. Such details.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #493
    Senior Member
    Array armado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    648
    I've never had to draw or fire. But there were a couple of times that carrying gave me the confidence to ignore and walk away from a potential encounter.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

    family Motto of Winston Churchill

  15. #494
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia, w/summers in Pottsylvania
    Posts
    6,910
    Quote Originally Posted by 99taws6 View Post
    Amazing post. Such details.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She answered the poll. Where in the OP does it say to provide details? I guess if someone had to draw and shoot, they might not want to discuss details.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

  16. #495
    Member Array phonejack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    56
    Yes to the first, no to the second

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ccw self defense stories
,
ccw stories self defense
,

concealed carry defense stories

,

concealed carry when to draw

,

ever had to draw your ccw

,
have you ever had to draw your gun
,
have you ever had to draw your weapon
,
have you ever had to pull your gun
,

have you ever had to shoot someone

,
have you ever shot someone in self defense
,
have you ever used your gun in self defense
,
self defense forum
Click on a term to search for related topics.