Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - Page 35

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NO! I have never had to draw or fire my CCW. And, prayerfully, I never will!...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1602. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

1,163 72.60%
  • Draw only

328 20.47%
  • Draw and fire

111 6.93%
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
Like Tree701Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    NO! I have never had to draw or fire my CCW. And, prayerfully, I never will!
    OD* and 10mmDWessonman like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by PrymeTyme37 View Post
    I did have to draw my Springfield XDs 9mm on a couple of idiots looking through windows of other houses. They were between my house and the neighbors house and I had my wife call 911. I confronted them, asking them what they were doing. It was two men. One of them had his hands in his hoodie pocket and I asked to see his hands and he asked me why. I drew my weapon and said "show me your hands now!" and they both complied and I held them there until the police arrived (10 minutes). Thank goodness I didn't have to shoot. Turns out that both of them had been arrested before for attempted burglary.

I pray I never have to draw my weapon ever again.
    Not to sound like a jerk, but not going after people you are suspicious of sounds like a good plan to keep you from drawing your weapon.

Be aware of potential danger and call the cops. If THEY come to you you will be prepared. YOU went to them. Not a wise choice. You put yourself at greater risk. If they did have a gun in their pocket with hands on, they are a much faster shot than you who had to draw.

All around you made mistakes. Thankfully you didn't discharge your weapon as you went to the perceived threat before they came to you.
    10mmDWessonman likes this.

I answered no as I've never drawn or fired while carrying, although I did draw a shotgun on someone one time.

I was about 19 and still living at home with my mother. We live in Florida and she was staying on one of the closer islands for a wedding. Not too far, but about an hour and a half or so away.

I bought my first gun, a shotgun, the day I turned 18. I had the house to myself. Naturally, I lock everything up extra tight that night due to being in a 2 story house all by myself.

My mother was always rather reckless with leaving doors and windows unlocked.

Between 2 and 3am, I hear a loud noise. I take my shotgun and step outside my bedroom door. From my bedroom door, I look down to the living room downstairs (upstairs was a bit of a loft with an open view of the whole first floor living and dining area) and I see a silhouette of a figure.

I rack a shell in and yell freeze. At this point, the figure immediately starts yelling in a voice familiar to me "SORRY DarthBojangles! It's me, AJ, your moms friend! She forgot her contact case and solution and asked for me to come get it. She's at the wedding hotel now, she told me the back slider would be unlocked!"

I knew the guy but he wasn't a super close family friend. Thankfully I recognized his voice. I felt terrible for scaring the crap out of him, but that's why you don't go breaking into peoples houses via popping their slider off the track. I don't care if you have permission from the home owner. You know someone is home. Knock on the daggum door! I'd have been inconvenienced but happy to help and wouldn't have almost had an ugly situation in the first place.

I berated my mother for at the very least not calling me. She knew I had a gun and knew I was home alone. I'm grateful that didn't end in tragedy.
    Last edited by Rooster; March 26th, 2017 at 07:43 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBojangles View Post
    ....I berated my mother for at the very least not calling me, she knew I had a gun and knew I was home alone. I'm grateful that didn't end in tragedy.
    Yikes! Your scenario reinforces the "know your target" rule.
    Last edited by Fallsrider; March 26th, 2017 at 07:34 AM.
    Rooster and 10mmDWessonman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kdangler View Post
    If you are a CCW holder:

Have you ever had to draw and/or shoot your weapon in self-defense?
    The short answer is no, I have had to put my hand up and say stop, then put my hand on my gun and restate state, "STOP" twice, Both times they stopped abruptly stopped, put their hands in a defensive position and backed away slowly.

As with others I hope I never have to fire at someone but I will do what I have to given the situation.
    Last edited by 10mmDWessonman; May 29th, 2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Best I recall I've only drawn once as a civilian ccwr. That was backing a lone patrol officer clearing a liquor store on a window smash.
    curious to the situation, did he know you, not to common an officer would put a civilian in that position.
    flingarrows likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    So......I was told if you have to clear leather you better come up shootin'.......all these "Draw and no shots fired" senarios......now in retrospect, how many really drew their weapon prematurely....?
    Seems like a lot.........
    I will have to completely disagree, do you know how many people pull their gun and stop the threat by doing so? You are supposed to fire until the threat stops, If the threat stops by pulling your gun Firing would then make it an invalid shoot. I don't know who taught you to fire no matter what if you have to draw but I would like to talk to them on where their line of thinking is, or if you misunderstood them in some way.
    You are able to think what you want but I seriously would like you to think about what I said and how EVERY draw could potentially be completely different than the next.
    Another tid bit to think about, If you have 8 guys closing in on you and are holding a gun that holds 6 bullets are you going to draw firing waisting bullets that you potentially cannot stop 2 or even 3 or 4 guys? And of course you can say you carry a gun that holds 17 bullets but you may not all the time or this could be even a larger number of people. Things happen, no one answer covers every scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I have heard, if you pull it you had better be able or willing to use it.
    This is why I wanted to actually talk to the person who told this to xXxplosive because I have a feeling as I have heard and said many times, "Never draw unless you are willing to shoot." Never point a gun at someone unless you are prepared/willing to shoot them. I have a hard time believing someone actually said something to the effect of "If you have to draw your gun make sure someone gets blown away."

And yes I screwed up it should be no draw no fire. I don't know how I clicked the wrong one I am having mouse issues. How do I change it?

I've Heard numerous times, if you draw your weapon you should shoot it . I do understand that you should be willing and able to shoot if need be but no one can know how many crimes ;thefts, rapes and
    ,murders have been prevented by an armed citizen who is willing to drawl his / her weapon and back the perpetrators down.

With no need to go into the details, let me say that twice in my life , as a civilian , I have drawn and pointed a weapon at perpetrators and stopped their actions without pulling the trigger myself. Granted, I have crossed the country several times by motorcycle usually alone so this often put me in a more vulnerable position than most people would find themselves.

But does it happen? It did to me. In both cases I have no regrets letting them go. In one of the cases I believe it would've been obvious self defense. The other, it was A group of bangers who wanted my motorcycle & showed no weapon But... for whatever reason, I didn't pull the trigger. And it was not because I can't , for certainly did in the service. It was a risky instinct that kicked in and I could've easily been wrong and Dead.
    Ret
    Chaplain Scott and OldChap like this.

I LITERALLY just got my concealed and this thread has done two things.... Made me glad I got it at a young age, and I now have a strong desire to make a range my church and find some good instructors to help practice with SD skills.
    Thorian and paulinsf like this.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPanda View Post
    I LITERALLY just got my concealed and this thread has done two things.... Made me glad I got it at a young age, and I now have a strong desire to make a range my church and find some good instructors to help practice with SD skills.
    I just sent you a Private Message. Look for a little orange box in upper right border.
    OldChap likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I have never had to draw or fire, but felt threatened enough to reach into my pocket and get it ready a couple times. One time it was just my wife and I after dark. We were walking a walk trail where my mom lives and this stray dog comes out of nowhere. It was coming right to us with no one around. Not knowing if its vicious, rabid, or what have you, I reached into my pocket and got ahold of the gun. Ready to draw and shoot if need be. Thankfully, it just kept going. Hardly looked at us. Now don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but I wasn't going to take a chance on it being an escaped vicious dog or anything like that and us getting attacked unprovoked.

I had to draw a gun on a guy while Camping on the beach many years ago. It was down in the sand dunes on the Oregon coast. He was some big drunk soldier that beat the hell out two smaller guys over a stupid argument that had led to one the smaller guys sucker punching him. He returned the favor by knocking out the guy that sucker punched him with one shot and then putting the boots to him after the guy's buddy backed off. I guess he had decided that he didn't want any after literally getting shoved so hard he did a backwards somersault. I wouldn't normally draw a gun in a situation like this as there where half a dozen people that watched this go down that I'm sure would have helped me intervene, but this wasn't a normal guy. He was probably 6'4" and well over 200lbs with not an ounce of fat on him, and he could obviously scrap. While he didn't start the fight, I wasn't going to let someone get brain damage over a stupid drunken argument that I believe was over a parking space. I also wasn't going to let this kid throw his life away with a possible manslaughter charge resulting from a fight he didn't start.

Long story short, I pointed a .22 target pistol on him that we had in the truck from shooting earlier that day. He backed off, and we were able to get the guy getting beat back to his feet and coherent. I'm sure he didn't feel too good the next day, but it fortunately wasn't anything too serious outside of a split lip and possibly a couple cracked ribs. The guy the kicked his azz actually apologized to him before his GF got him out of there. No cops were involved and everyone walked away. The strange part about it was that they apparently all knew each other.

The perpetuated error that "if you draw your gun, you MUST shoot" is missing a very important word. I think a lot of macho idiots have left the word out on purpose. Makes them sound tough. The statement should read:

"If you draw your gun, you must be WILLING to shoot." And the corollary to that is "You'd better know when to do either one."

@Chaplain Scott ....you beat me to it. Thanks.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Sponsored Links