Texas Law Shield scam? Found an article regard of TLS service

This is a discussion on Texas Law Shield scam? Found an article regard of TLS service within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy everyone, I found this article talk about TLS (Texas Law Shield) got accused for being scam. I don't know if we should worry about ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Texas Law Shield scam? Found an article regard of TLS service

Howdy everyone,

I found this article talk about TLS (Texas Law Shield) got accused for being scam. I don't know if we should worry about their service?

Here link: The Texas Legal Outfit Accused of Preying on Gun Owners' Fears Of Getting Arrested

*MOD* Move or delete this if you think wrong place or question. Please let me know.

So, if you go to the home page there, you'll see this is an anti-2A site.

That being said, I didn't appreciate the hard sales pitch for TLS I got during my CHL class so I didn't sign up for it.
    mr.stuart likes this.

VIP Member
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Moving to a new location

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I would not use such a service, if it even offers a service. It is not a retainer against any possible billing, so it seems useless.
    As the article states, Texas is a 'Stand-Your-Ground' state, like many others so the threshold for any civil litigation by criminals (or their families, et al) is very high.
    This alone, would seem to negate any 'service' the TLS would be presumed to offer.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array nlyric's Avatar
    I'm gonna say this... Early on in my membership I had a couple of questions. Spoke to a lawyer promptly and felt I had made a good choice. I have only called 4 times total. The last time was like pulling teeth and was told a lawyer would call me back. Well never happened.
    The time before that, I was calling in reference to their controversial announcement/advice, that one should submit to violations of the 4th amendment come Jan 1st.... It was also like pulling teeth.
    Although I did get to speak to a lawyer.. Who was very helpful. Let's just say the last 2 calls haven't left me with a real warm and fuzzy.. More like brushed off.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "It's almost like a right, except without the pesky Liberty"
    Author unknown.....

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    "The Trace" is bloomy's new website.
    Kennydale and Aceoky like this.
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

@1MoreGoodGuy - Thanks for the links, I did searched and didn't find it. However thank you!
    nlyric and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    "The Trace" is bloomy's new website.
    There you go it's all a WITCH HUNT. I think we have become lawsuit crazy anyway. You buy a cup of coffee from Micky D and burn yourself. It just means your a KLUTZ .
    dbcrowe likes this.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Howdy everyone,

I spoke with my CHL instructor, she determined investigate and spoke length with the Texas Law Shield after I showed her the article.

Here her response.

Code:
    Ok, I talked to Texas Law Shield and found out the factual information. :) 

First of all, this article is 3 years old and very outdated. 

Secondly, there were 13 plaintiffs in this lawsuit that banned together to sue TLS. 12 of their cases have been dismissed and were awarded $0, the last person is still involved in the process but it is almost over and it is looking like he will have the same fate as the other 12, he will win nothing. 
    The group who wrote this article sued TLS, and they have lost. 

Also know that this lawsuit was funded and pushed forward by the Bloomberg group. That should tell you a lot. 

Lastly, the article accuses TLS of "ambulance chasing", which is not even possible because members are NOT represented or covered unless they have bought the legal representation BEFORE the time that they pull and use their firearm. Meaning they will not represent anyone who uses their gun who does not have a current membership with them. 

Hope this eases any fears it concerns you may have. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    OldVet and BIGSAM like this.

VIP Member
    Still don't think TLS should be presented in a way which may lead some to believe it is part of the CHL class. See the link to the other thread on this exact same topic in post #3 for an explanation of my experience with TLS and the CHL class.
    Aceoky, BadgerJ and Texbow1959 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Moving to a new location

My son recently took a CHL class and came home talking about TLS. What bothered me was that they had imprinted on my 22 yo son, in a state mandated training class, the notion that because he had decided to take action and prepare for self defense with a gun, that he therefore faced a very real risk to his freedom and a real risk of financial ruin. That had a decidedly anti-gun slant to it in my opinion. In my mind, it had a very big appeal to emotion, conman, and anti-gun tone to it. It seemed to have the same slant to it the anti-gun notion that gun owners should have to have insurance or pay prohibitive taxes to prepay a debt to society when their inevitable misuse injures society.

To me, the gun is the insurance against the incredibly unlikely occurrence that you may be confronted with a violent crime. Needing insurance to cover the fall out of having to use the gun to me is just improbability compounded by improbability.

VIP Member
    Since it doesn't look like the threads will be merged...

Here is what I posted in the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    In my CHL class the instructor "set the stage" for the TLS snake oil sales woman (Hooter's Waitress)...Yes, I was told she was also employed by Hooter's but to my knowledge she was not working for Hooter's while she was performing her fear mongering in front of her captive audience.

The class was led to believe that the TLS presentation was part of the class but the beneficial information which was going to be discussed would not be on the written exam so taking notes would not be necessary.

The CHL instructor made sure to bring the TLS rep into the room and introduce her at the most opportune time. She was brought in towards the tail end of the lesson on use of force and just before the instructor gave an account of a CHL holder who pulled up to a gas station and believed he was witnessing a robbery in progress and drew and shot the person who was holding the gun inside the store. In the CHL instructor's story, the person the CHL holder shot just so happened to be an off duty police officer who was holding the actual robber at gunpoint. After the CHL instructor briefly mentioning that you need to be sure of who the bad guy really is so that you don't get yourself into some serious legal trouble for shooting and possibly killing innocent people and that if you were to have legal issues it could cost you tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees, the CHL instructor then announced that he would be taking a break and Miss Hooter's from TLS would be taking over to address our legal concerns. When Miss Hooter's finished her sales pitch and asked for the sale, there was one person who got up to buy the snake oil (he was probably a "plant" in the audience). After the "plant" came forward to be the first buyer, several others ran to the front with credit cards in hand.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of TLS or that particular CHL instructor who also claimed that carrying in a bank is a federal crime because the banks are run by the fed.
    Mike1956 and RickOShay like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Moving to a new location

Quote Originally Posted by chrootz View Post
    Howdy everyone,

I spoke with my CHL instructor, she determined investigate and spoke length with the Texas Law Shield after I showed her the article.
    Your CHL instructor's explanation doesn't seem to add up to me. First, this article appears to be recent, Aug 17, with the judge ruling on July 27. The ruling gave the plaintiffs class action status, what ever that means. So it doesn't seem accurate to say the lawsuit is over or that it's been lost. It also doesn't make sense that it's a class action with only one plaintiff. Also, the issue reported in the article isn't ambulance chasing. It's about paying for client referrals. That makes sense to me. It does seem very unethical the way they're using very profitable paid referrals to gain access to state mandated training classes, where they propagandize to a captive audience to get clients. Frankly, I hope the suit is eventually successful.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Since it doesn't look like the threads will be merged...

Here is what I posted in the other thread:
    Yeah, I take it the instructor nor the hooter's girl mentioned the handsome referral fee the instructor would get if anyone signed up. The way you present it matches the way my son told the story, minus the hooter's girl. It definitely seems very conman, very unethical all around. Given that it's state mandated training required in order to exercise a fundamental right, it's closer to obscene than unethical in my mind.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Hey, I didn't get any presentation by a Hooter's girl in my IL class that was based on the USCCA course materials. Should I be looking for a refund?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links