Do you keep a gun in the car? - Page 8

Do you keep a gun in the car?

This is a discussion on Do you keep a gun in the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Shootnlead X 2^^^^ AND, something that is never mentioned...MOST guns stolen from cars are stolen out of cars with unlocked doors. Now, ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Do you keep a gun in the car?

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    X 2^^^^

AND, something that is never mentioned...MOST guns stolen from cars are stolen out of cars with unlocked doors. Now, if you don't believe that...spend a little time researching.

Also, I am not a big believer in car safes...but, if you put a good quality lock through the trigger guard of a handgun and lock it directly to a seat post...where it is very hard to get any cutting device to it...it will be there when you return.
    Link? Not disputing but I would like to see the evidence behind that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I have said before, I have two choices, realistically. Be willing to leave a gun in my locked truck or effectively be totally disarmed 90% of the time. I prefer not to leave a $2,500 Wilson Combat in the truck, but instead choose a $500 Glock for that duty. I have no emotional investment in a Glock, If I loose it, I will just grab another Glock to take it's place.
    But even if it's a $1,000 Colt, I have a spare or two, They are not that hard to duplicate. I refuse to let all of the rules effectively disarm me, and I don't have the option of always carrying on my person instead, more rules, you see.

Quote Originally Posted by keepitlow View Post
    Beside on the body, do you have a gun in the car?
    Only when it's on me, although my one-time work car had a few extra long-guns in it.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Link? Not disputing but I would like to see the evidence behind that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its common knowledge. Ask any cop who takes these reports all day long.

Its like asking for proof that badguys kick in the back door more often than the front.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Nope!!

Distinguished Member Array marshallman's Avatar
    I don't. Too much risk of one getting stolen around here.
    "Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid."- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by marshallman View Post
    I don't. Too much risk of one getting stolen around here.
    Always wondered about logic like this.

If the risk of it being stolen is so high isn't the risk of not having one in the car, just in case, also extremely high?

I wouldn't think the two are necessarily connected. When I travel about town, I have a gun in the car with me. I don't leave one there unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkatzpp View Post

If the risk of it being stolen is so high isn't the risk of not having one in the car, just in case, also extremely high?
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array marshallman's Avatar
    Well, just from personal experience, I've had my car broken into 3 times in the past. However, I've never been carjacked. The crime stats from the local PD also show a much greater risk of auto burglary than carjacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkatzpp View Post

"Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid."- John Wayne

Only on those occasions when I have to visit a building where carry is prohibited. Post Office and library are the most frequent, but there are also annual visits to my doctor and Bear's vet, the polling place for various elections, and the rare need to visit some other government office.

On those days I'll place my loaded gun, holstered, in the center console of my car when I first get in. That's done in the privacy of my garage. I will then visit the "no guns" building or buildings. The car is locked, the alarm is set, and, everywhere but the vet's, there's the added "protection" of a very vocal Peke. If that's it for the day, I'll leave the gun in the console till I get home. Otherwise, it goes into my pocket before my next stop. Since I'd rather not be observed in my car with a gun in hand, I generally pull into an empty parking lot to do that.

I've never felt the need to, but I could probably keep one in the console all the time with little risk of it falling into the wrong hands. The only time the car doors aren't locked is when I'm getting in, getting out, or loading stuff in the back. It spends over 90% of its time a locked in an alarmed garage and the rest either being driven or parked, locked and alarmed, in well trafficked parking lots during daylight hours, almost always for under an hour and most times for well under one. And, while I've been an NRA member for over 50 years and a life member almost that long, none of my vehicles has ever carried a sticker saying "the guy who owns me likes guns".

Under an old Volkswagen somewhere in Florida
    Generally, no. Only when I'm at work which is why I mounted a safe under the back seat.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

NO,Always on my body!!!!. Would Hate to run out to the car to get it. However,have surprises all over the house.

This is an upper scale community with mostly professional residents. A few months back, there were 61 cars pilfered in four nights. Out of those, 39 were left unlocked. there were 20 something with the keys in the ignition but about 20 had guns stolen from the cars. Also a great number had wallets, purses and such with credit cards and cash left in the cars that were taken.

Four individuals were arrested and charged. They bonded out and a few days later was arrested & charged with the same type crimes committed at a large apartment complex. Again they bonded out. Within a week, they were arrested in a neighboring state for the same type crime.

It shocked me as to how many leave such items in their cars, especially those cars that are unlocked.

For the question in the OP. yes, I carry other guns in my vehicle daily but only those I may need. They are removed at night but also well secured during the day. However I do not let valet parking attendants park my car and I do not let service centers have access to it.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    X 2^^^^

AND, something that is never mentioned...MOST guns stolen from cars are stolen out of cars with unlocked doors. Now, if you don't believe that...spend a little time researching.

Also, I am not a big believer in car safes...but, if you put a good quality lock through the trigger guard of a handgun and lock it directly to a seat post...where it is very hard to get any cutting device to it...it will be there when you return.
    I'm sure you thread the cable behind the trigger. So assuming the cable is threaded through the front seat mechanism you draw the gun, point forward between your legs, run the cable through the trigger guard and snap the lock closed? It sounds like a good compromise versus finding a good place to store a lockbox, but the possibility of muzzling someone is there especially if you have his and hers lock boxes.

I've just started to carry and in CA signs posted by businesses don't have the force of law. The post office is another matter. I am a bit concerned about the manipulations required to un-holster and lock up inside the car safely. I'm going to look for a small gun safe that will fit in each of our cars, but we don't have much room under our seats and we need two per car.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Only when I can't legally carry. Then it's under the seat in a locked box cabled to the seat frame.
    exactly
    "To disarm the people...is the most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams
    NRA Member, CCW Safe

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sponsored Links