I spotted a concealed carrier just now. Made him inside of two seconds - Page 3

I spotted a concealed carrier just now. Made him inside of two seconds

This is a discussion on I spotted a concealed carrier just now. Made him inside of two seconds within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pijo73 You'd be surprised what you can notice out in the public if you only paid more attention your surroundings (which you ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: I spotted a concealed carrier just now. Made him inside of two seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Pijo73 View Post
    You'd be surprised what you can notice out in the public if you only paid more attention your surroundings (which you are doing now it looks like)
    What can I say LOL I'm a people watcher, for entertainment and security
    I used to work retail loss prevention. Noticing behavior was an integral part of the job.
    Pijo73 and Ianthin like this.

Move along... Nothing going on here.... Have a nice day.... You were correct in not taking the chance of starting something that could have gone south. There's that one chance he could have been carrying illegally and that could have turned out bad for both of you.... (not knowing the Kentucky laws all that well).. or he could have taken offense... One other point. Keep yourself aware and prepared just in case he's up to no good if you know what I mean..
    Bandit99 likes this.
    To all my brothers and sisters who have served in uniform...
    ...Welcome Home...

Retired USAF Medic (SMSgt)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
    B F Deal. Why is this even post worthy? By the way, did you ever figure out what you were going to tell your Mom about your own gun?
    I'll just take the advice in your signature line on this one. Jeeesh, lighten up Frances..............
    ghost tracker likes this.
    "Now go ahead and say something stupid!"

Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Why not? I have worked with a number of LEO's who concealed very poorly. Big guns, cheap Uncle Mike's holsters and no clue.
    I am friends with enough former LEOs to recognize how they handle themselves.

Senior Moderator
    Last year I was attending a conference in Prescott, AZ, and the hotel where my out-of-town associates and I stayed was hosting a LE seminar. One of my associates just got into the armed self-defense mindset, and at breakfast each morning I was pointing which of the cops was carrying concealed. Very few carried openly, and most had tell-tale bumps and bulges (clearly not a big deal in AZ). The ones with no hint of printing I mentally separated (yes, you could call this judging - guilty as charged) into clueless and unarmed, and smooth operator who is armed and doesn't want to be 'made.'
    mathiasinthe314 likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    I've been in a similar situation and did the same thing, nothing.

You may NOT have known what you think you did. People all the time ID my cell phone on my belt under my shirt, as a gun .... which it is obviously not. A buldge can be numerous things , not only a gun. I've had people whisper, you are carrying too I see .... not actually , I wasn't, but they didn't believe it.

I get rather aggravated at people that "think" they see something, and it's not that at all. No one has yet actually ID'd my gun nor where it is.

First off, you were right not to say anything. I mean, the guy WAS in Michaels and I know how I get when I am forced to go there by my wife.

She loves it though so I "take one for the team" so to speak.

I got outed by my own daughter in line at Walmart one time.

Actually, she outed me twice when she was between 3 and 5, but I digress.

One time I bent over to get the stuff out of the bottom of the buggy and she told me, loudly, "Daddy, your gun is showing".

The other time she backed in to me and bumped her head on it and then said, "Ouch, your gun hurt my head."

Both times people just stared.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Somewhere that guy has posted about how he prints and nobody notices or says anything.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Meh.....it's ok that you noticed but I would not be so concerned about his "printing" because it happens quite often. The word "concealed" means what it means, concealed. If a state statue says that "printing" is not legal then maybe you could have discreetly said something about it.

Other than that, I don't think many people go out "looking" for concealed carry people, I know that I don't even though I'm one of them and when "packing" I don't think there are many folks out there who would recognize the minute "bulge" of a holstered pistol. I've seen people with cell phones in a case that were "concealed" or their shirt hanging over and thought for a moment that maybe it was a pistol. Usually the thought comes and goes in a matter of seconds.

Unless the guy was a total weirdo then you did the right thing by not bringing any more attention to him.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I probably wouldn't be overly concerned about it since you are in Ky. Open carry is permitted, so no harm if he prints or not. Most non weapons folks might assume the bulge was a cell phone, insulin pump or any number of things non gun related.

"He's GOT A GUN!!!!" yelled while sprinting for the exit.
    Doogie likes this.

How many did you not see?
    Eagleks likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomstick75 View Post
    The gf/wife (been together so long I call her my wife) and I went to Michael's craft store today. She loves to knit. Walk in, and see a guy, a bit bigger around the middle, picking at the bottom of his shirt on the right side. The shirt was probably too tight to carry with, but I digress. As he picked, could clearly see the bulge under it. Since the shirt wasn't very long, I knew he was carrying IWB. I watched him turn down an aisle, he picked at his shirt again, and I could clearly see a CLEAR print of his spare magazine at his 7 o'clock. Naturally, I watched the guy from a decent distance to observe his behavior since I now knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he had a gun on him. I think he was likely licensed because I noticed no odd behavior.

Now, part of my brain wanted to help him, but I quickly decided against that. By quickly, I pretty much dismissed the thought as soon as I'd had it. I did this for two reasons: 1) The guy doesn't know me, I know for a damn FACT that he has a gun, and I don't how how jumpy he is, and 2) If I had done that, I would be disclosing to a stranger the fact that I very likely had a weapon on me as well (I did). What would you have done?
    Leave him be. If he's concealing in KY, he likely has a permit. No laws stating he has to conceal, or conceal well for that matter. Most times when I conceal at a place like Michaels (Mrs Thin loves the place) it's just under a loose cover shirt. If the bottom of my holster gets exposed a bit while reaching for something, I'm not worried about it. If I'm carrying IWB it's less likely to happen.

The reality is that you spotted him because you knew what to look for. Most people might see his behavior and just thinks his shirt got hung up on his cell phone, and they would never notice the IWB bulge anyway.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomstick75 View Post
    I used to work retail loss prevention. Noticing behavior was an integral part of the job.
    Which is probably why you picked up on it. The business also programs you to at least allow a slight amount of consideration that the guy was a threat. Bottom line is a guy concealing a gun, carrying a spare mag, is pretty far from the profile of a criminal. Perps don't carry spare mags.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links