Duty to inform while not carrying

This is a discussion on Duty to inform while not carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Could someone refresh my memory as to whether this is fact. Is there a " duty to inform" to present your CCW permit If there ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Duty to inform while not carrying

Could someone refresh my memory as to whether this is fact. Is there a " duty to inform" to present your CCW permit If there is any interaction between you an a LEO even if you presently are not carrying an included not having a weapon in you vehicle if it's a traffic stop.

Not required to notify in Michigan if you are not carrying. Check here: Handgunlaw.us for the state you are concerned about.
    By now our forefathers would be shooting.

Life is too important to take seriously.

Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club
    visit us at: http://www.lansingmuzzleloadinggunclub.com/

If you are not carrying there is no need to present your permit.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I would say it depends on your state. In North Carolina, you're not required to notify if you don't have a gun on your person or in your car.
    Chicagobill and oldman45 like this.
    Life Member & Donor: Second Amendment Foundation ~ Gun Owners of America ~ NRA ~ Citizens Committee for the RKBA ~ Grass Roots NC

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." ~ Thomas Jefferson

In Ohio LEO say its just a common courtesy to tell them when your not carrying
    Haywood likes this.

Distinguished Member Array nlyric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark456 View Post
    In Ohio LEO say its just a common courtesy to tell them when your not carrying
    To tell them when you are not carrying? Why does that seem silly to me?
    "It's almost like a right, except without the pesky Liberty"
    Author unknown.....

Duty to inform "when asked" in Illinois... If you're unarmed, there's no reason to tell... If I'm stopped, I'm going to let them know up front I'm licensed then let them know I'm armed. All the while with my hands on the wheel in plain sight..
    Chicagobill and Illusive Man like this.

When I had my class in Ohio (2004) they told us to inform when carrying or not.
    Chicagobill and oldman45 like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyric View Post
    Because it is.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    Why would I not be carrying?
    nlyric, Bandit99, 15dps and 8 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by nlyric View Post
    You are correct. It is silly. There is absolutely no need to notify if you're not carrying in the State of Ohio, courtesy or otherwise. Sorta like telling the LEO; Officer I drink but I'm not drinking and driving.

2923.16 (E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following:
    (1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle; (2) Fail to promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

"the wounds of honor, are self inflicted."

If an officer runs your DL, and it comes back that you are licensed to carry, it may make him nervous that you didn't say anything. I see no reason why you would not want to tell him up front.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!
    "Never mistake motion for action" - Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

I bet you can find lots of discussion on this.
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-carrying.html
    Psalm 144:1

Senior Member Array FreedomRocks's Avatar
    I do not know why one would not voluntarily present it with your drivers license - even if you are not carrying. Chances are he already has been given the information about your permit to carry before leaving his car. Failure to show it only ads to his uncertainty and wariness about you. He does not see the halo hanging over your head. It is up to you at the very earliest to demonstrate that you are not a threat. Doing everything right and with politeness may also get you out of a ticket. Has for me.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Distinguished Member Array nlyric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    If an officer runs your DL, and it comes back that you are licensed to carry, it may make him nervous that you didn't say anything. I see no reason why you would not want to tell him up front.
    Why, ???licence holders here in Tx are the most law abiding demographic in the state. 6x less crimes than LEO according to DPSs own records. Pulling that up should be a comfort IMO. Not that they should let down their guard. Certainly not a cause for heightened alarm.
    sdprof and DubbleURX like this.
    "It's almost like a right, except without the pesky Liberty"
    Author unknown.....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links