Alcohol? - Page 6

Alcohol?

This is a discussion on Alcohol? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never a heavy drinker and gave it up totally about 10 yrs ago. Alcohol, even a few sips, can give me a debilitating headache. The ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Alcohol?

Never a heavy drinker and gave it up totally about 10 yrs ago. Alcohol, even a few sips, can give me a debilitating headache. The only thing that I miss is an ice cold Negro Modelo with mexican food!!!
    Pete63 and Rockymonster like this.
    .................................................. ............
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ii; Wife's: Sig P238, LCP ii, Remington 11-87 20G

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Never do I mix alcohol and gunpowder.
    You might be interested to know that the concept of "proof" of alcohol involved mixing alcohol and gunpowder. In the old British Navy, sailors came up with the idea of mixing alcohol and gunpowder and seeing how well it would ignite. They were always on guard against watered down rum, so sailors learned to mix in gunpowder to a sample of rum. If it ignited well, that was "proof" it was not watered down. It was not scientific, but that's where the term came from.

There is also a mixed drink made with gunpowder, Gunpowder Punch, containing aged Rum, Rhum Agricole, Gin, spices, lemon juice, orange, and yes, actual antique-formula gunpowder. I have never tasted it, but supposedly the gunpowder adds a sharp, acidic, slightly metallic taste.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Occasionally, Iíll have one drink with a meal when eating out. Even at home, my daily limit is two drinks in the evening (none during the day).

Since I always carry, that means I do.

Now other activities where I NEVER drink are: driving, hunting, motorcycling, and any water related activities where Iím running the boat (or airboat).
    Wolf357 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Never do I mix alcohol and gunpowder.

Ever try alcohol and C-4? It can be fun if you survive.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Occasionally, Iíll have one drink with a meal when eating out. Even at home, my daily limit is two drinks in the evening (none during the day).
    My daily limit is one . . . One of these.
    Name:  cask.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  14.2 KB
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I always carry so never drink. Used to drink before I carried. Got my permit in 2004. Started carrying everyday so that ended drinking. Never missed it.
    ukcats, JAG45 and Pete63 like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    You might be interested to know that the concept of "proof" of alcohol involved mixing alcohol and gunpowder. In the old British Navy, sailors came up with the idea of mixing alcohol and gunpowder and seeing how well it would ignite. They were always on guard against watered down rum, so sailors learned to mix in gunpowder to a sample of rum. If it ignited well, that was "proof" it was not watered down. It was not scientific, but that's where the term came from.

There is also a mixed drink made with gunpowder, Gunpowder Punch, containing aged Rum, Rhum Agricole, Gin, spices, lemon juice, orange, and yes, actual antique-formula gunpowder. I have never tasted it, but supposedly the gunpowder adds a sharp, acidic, slightly metallic taste.
    Hence the term "firewater".

I just made that up.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Pro
    Wow, a 12 year old thread resurrection. My drinking age son (21) was all of 9 years old in 2007.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A - Member

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I have a sip of wine every once in a while, before bed. I have a beer maybe once a year, a single beer. No issue here.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    Wow, a 12 year old thread resurrection. My drinking age son (21) was all of 9 years old in 2007.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Senior Member Array lordhamster's Avatar
    I don't drink (not at all) if I'm going to drive or carry.

Like many have said here, I'd rather not be in a situation where I have to defend myself where even a trace of alcohol could be in my system.

That is not to say I don't drink, but if I plan to... I'll leave my firearms at home and I won't be driving.
    1942bull likes this.

VIP Member
    0 tolerance - gunpowder and alcohol does not mix well. Ever.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    0 tolerance - gunpowder and alcohol does not mix well. Ever.
    I'll drink to that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post

Drink at your own risk. One of the frequently used components of gunpowder goes by the colloquial name "saltpeter." Saltpeter is known chemically as potassium nitrate which does wonders for the male body - especially in regards to sterility and a few other more extreme medical conditions.

You might do less harm to yourself by blowing yourself up rather than drinking such a concoction.
    Pete63 and LimaCharlie like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    Amazing. Consider how many more people for whom this thread is now relevant but who were too young for it to be relevant 12 years ago...
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, THEY PROTECT EVERYTHING ELSE.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links