Concerns about applying for CCW

This is a discussion on Concerns about applying for CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To start this off, I'm 22 and work security for some local apartments with a lot of crime. I work third shift and work the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Concerns about applying for CCW

To start this off, I'm 22 and work security for some local apartments with a lot of crime. I work third shift and work the gate that lets everyone in and later on I walk through the apartments . They don't allow open carry but they do allow concealed. I read over the application for CCW and had some concerns.

First it asks if I have a mental illness. I was wrongly diagnosed with depression 2 years ago but stopped going to the psych a few weeks after. I went to another one who agrees that I don't have depression. Just mild insomnia. If I say I had depression will that completely bar me from getting CCW?

I was also shot last year and spent a week in the hospital. I was in the icu and was supposed to have been placed in a regular room that wasn't costing me 15 grand per day but there were no open rooms. They gave me the option to spend the rest of my time healing in their psych ward. I accepted and stayed there for 3 days. A few months later I was struggling with some irl issues that were causing stress. I checked myself into a different psych ward just to get away from everything for a few days.

On the app it asks this: (a) Have you ever been adjudicated as mentally incompetent or mentally defective?
    (b) Have you ever been committed to a mental institution?
    (c) Have you ever been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital or facility for purposes other
    than observation?
    (d) Have you ever been adjudicated as mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated as
    incompetent to manage your own affairs, or ever been committed to a mental institution?
    Would I have to check yes or does me checking myself in not count as being commited? Also I heard that they call all the local psych wards and get your records from them.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Is it worth even applying or would all this Dq me from getting it? I have legally bought guns in these past few months and am a member of an outdoor range that I shoot at weekly.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ver View Post
    To start this off, I'm 22 and work security for some local apartments with a lot of crime. I work third shift and work the gate that lets everyone in and later on I walk through the apartments . They don't allow open carry but they do allow concealed. I read over the application for CCW and had some concerns.

First it asks if I have a mental illness. I was wrongly diagnosed with depression 2 years ago but stopped going to the psych a few weeks after. I went to another one who agrees that I don't have depression. Just mild insomnia. If I say I had depression will that completely bar me from getting CCW?

I was also shot last year and spent a week in the hospital. I was in the icu and was supposed to have been placed in a regular room that wasn't costing me 15 grand per day but there were no open rooms. They gave me the option to spend the rest of my time healing in their psych ward. I accepted and stayed there for 3 days. A few months later I was struggling with some irl issues that were causing stress. I checked myself into a different psych ward just to get away from everything for a few days.

On the app it asks this: (a) Have you ever been adjudicated as mentally incompetent or mentally defective?
    (b) Have you ever been committed to a mental institution?
    (c) Have you ever been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital or facility for purposes other
    than observation?
    (d) Have you ever been adjudicated as mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated as
    incompetent to manage your own affairs, or ever been committed to a mental institution?
    Would I have to check yes or does me checking myself in not count as being commited? Also I heard that they call all the local psych wards and get your records from them.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Is it worth even applying or would all this Dq me from getting it? I have legally bought guns in these past few months and am a member of an outdoor range that I shoot at weekly.
    Questions for you.

1. Have you ever been denied from purchasing a handgun from a licensed FFL Dealer in Ohio?

2. Can you answer NO to questions a,b,c, & d on the CCW application?

If your answers to questions 1 and 2 are both NO, your hospital stays, IMO would not disable you from obtaining a CCW in Ohio.

I am not an attorney. I would advise you to anonymously contact your State Police or Sheriffs Department for their opinion.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

You may be able to get a permit, but are you considering what might happen if you had to use your firearm for SD if the 'victim's' atty got hold of your medical records?

You might want to re-think carrying a firearm or even try to find a way to make your rounds safer, than to consider using deadly force options.

You should talk to an attorney since your situation seems complicated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Questions for you.

1. Have you ever been denied from purchasing a handgun from a licensed FFL Dealer in Ohio?

2. Can you answer NO to questions a,b,c, & d on the CCW application?

If your answers to questions 1 and 2 are both NO, your hospital stays, IMO would not disable you from obtaining a CCW in Ohio.

I am not an attorney. I would advise you to anonymously contact your State Police or Sheriffs Department for their opinion.
    I bought a Ruger Lcp last month at Gander Mountain with no issue. I don't know if I can answer those questions, that is why I made this thread. I need to know if "being committed" means them forcing me to go or if me checking myself in are the same thing. Do they actually call all local psych wards and get info? I thought that was illegal unless I sign a paper saying they can view my mental health records.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    You may be able to get a permit, but are you considering what might happen if you had to use your firearm for SD if the 'victim's' atty got hold of your medical records?

You might want to re-think carrying a firearm or even try to find a way to make your rounds safer, than to consider using deadly force options.

I was shot in the face by a .22 last year. I need a way to defend myself against other people with firearms. There have been 2 murders at the apartments I work and live at in the last 4 years. My apartments are raided by police on an almost weekly basis. I can't move and I can't afford to quit my job. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's really stupid that I have to go through all this just for a way to defend myself legally and I have a high chance of being declined.

If you bought a gun you should be ok then. I don't think I would carry it at work though. If something would go down it all on you!! Plus your not getting paid to carry a gun there.

Then again I am not an attorney so you should check with one

Quote Originally Posted by Spark456 View Post
    If you bought a gun you should be ok then. I don't think I would carry it at work though. If something would go down it all on you!! Plus your not getting paid to carry a gun there.

Then again I am not an attorney so you should check with one
    I was working when I was shot. This is the whole reason I want to get my CCW. I live in a terrible area. Drug dealing and drug addicts are what I deal with on a daily basis working security. The person who shot me was never caught and I think it was retaliation for calling the police on a suspected drug mule. I can't just move away. I'm poor and I work where I live.

Honestly, an internet forum such as this is NOT the place to find your answer.
    It's a place to get a lot of opinions.
    None of which will help you in a court of law.
    Facts and legal references are what you need. A lawyer is where you need to turn for info.
    9MMare and gasmitty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Honestly, an internet forum such as this is NOT the place to find your answer.
    It's a place to get a lot of opinions.
    None of which will help you in a court of law.
    Facts and legal references are what you need. A lawyer is where you need to turn for info.
    I know that would be preferable, but like I said I'm poor. If I could afford an attorney to talk to about this I would have. I'm just hoping for advice on if it is even worth applying with my history. It would be great to hear from people that have similar issues as myself and got their Ccw or at least applied for it

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post

I agree with Badger3! Not everyone can or should have a CCW especially if they will be subjected to undo scrutiny should the unthinkable happen. I know, it sucks but, you have to think of defending your actions in today's litigious society. I would not get a CCW under your circumstances.
    Last edited by generalbeluga; December 22nd, 2016 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by generalbeluga View Post
    I agree with Badger3! Not everyone can or should have a CCW especially if they will be subjected to undo scrutiny should the unthinkable happen. I know, it sucks but, you have two think of defending your actions in today's litigious society. I would not get a CCW under your circumstances.
    I have already been shot in the face. Everyone at the hospital said I should have died because of where I was shot and how much blood I had lost. I'm not worried about what would happen law wise if I ever had to defend myself. I would be alive. That's all that matters.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm just a guy on an Internet forum. Because of that I'm not fit to say if you should or shouldn't, can or can't, etc etc. But, look online for a CCW Trainer in your area and ask several of them. I'm positive the ones worth their salt will give you as straight an answer as they can. And like it or not it they may tell you to call a lawyer. You aren't the only one that's ever been in a seemingly difficult spot, especially with the Ritalin generation coming of age and wondering how to deal with that whole mess. (I don't mean that as a bad thing towards the Ritalin kids, that's on my generation as the Ritalin kids parents)
    Just don't take the first guy that says you are good to go, ask at least two or three before making a decision as to your next move.
    Stirling XD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puros_bran View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, I'm just a guy on an Internet forum. Because of that I'm not fit to say if you should or shouldn't, can or can't, etc etc. But, look online for a CCW Trainer in your area and ask several of them. I'm positive the ones worth their salt will give you as straight an answer as they can. And like it or not it they may tell you to call a lawyer. You aren't the only one that's ever been in a seemingly difficult spot, especially with the Ritalin generation coming of age and wondering how to deal with that whole mess. (I don't mean that as a bad thing towards the Ritalin kids, that's on my generation as the Ritalin kids parents)
    Just don't take the first guy that says you are good to go, ask at least two or three before making a decision as to your next move.
    Will do, thanks for the advice

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ver View Post
    I bought a Ruger Lcp last month at Gander Mountain with no issue. I don't know if I can answer those questions, that is why I made this thread. I need to know if "being committed" means them forcing me to go or if me checking myself in are the same thing. Do they actually call all local psych wards and get info? I thought that was illegal unless I sign a paper saying they can view my mental health records.
    If all of your actions were voluntary and if you were legally allowed to leave the hospital, e.g. you were never committed involuntarily, you should be able to answer NO on your CCW application.

HIPPA law protects your electronic health care records from being transmitted to State Police or NICS without cause.

If you were not denied from purchasing a firearm after your hospital stays, the state or the feds have no records that would disable you.

As mentioned, this is only my informal opinion. I am not an attorney.

You should try reading as much as possible about your state laws and your responsibility when carrying any firearm.

It might even be a good idea to informally discuss things with your doctor.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by generalbeluga View Post
    I agree with Badger3! Not everyone can or should have a CCW especially if they will be subjected to undo scrutiny should the unthinkable happen. I know, it sucks but, you have two think of defending your actions in today's litigious society. I would not get a CCW under your circumstances.
    Based on your comments and the questions on the application, I would say you have not met the definition of being committed or found to be mentally defective.

Also, I vehemently disagree that you should take the advice of others with respect to not arming yourself simply because you may find yourself having to address your medical history. Look at it this way...if you're around to be questioned, you're around. You survived. I wouldn't let someone else's perspective sway me from availing myself of the legal right to defend myself by means of a legally carried handgun. Better to be around to answer for your actions than to be carried by others who talk about what a great person you were.
    Puros_bran, 9MMare, Pain and 4 others like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links