Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress? - Page 3

Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress?

This is a discussion on Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I'm long past the age to wear tight clothes I did start a topic recently called "Blending In". I think maybe I understand what ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress?

While I'm long past the age to wear tight clothes I did start a topic recently called "Blending In". I think maybe I understand what you are getting at because that's why I started the thread. My concern was that if I instantly started to wear what is suggested on Youtube in the "how to ccw for beginners" videos, I would stick out like a sore thumb because I don't have or normally wear those clothes. I'm already a little self conscious carrying a sidearm, having clothes suggested by a video would make it worse. I know it's a mind game in my head, but that's the stage of carrying that I'm in.

A lot of good input and information on that thread, you might give it a read.

I did pick up a Crossbreed belly band holster at the holiday sale price. I've been experimenting with a number of different carries and this one looked inexpensive and interesting for both me and my wife. The person in the video was a thin girl with tight clothes (I think yoga pants) and she made the pistol she strapped on hidden. Like others, I mean no disrespect. I just assume you are a thin young person who may want to look at the belly band on Crossbreed. Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array CalCarry's Avatar
    With a loose fitting shirt, check out the bellyband holsters, or a modified shoulder holster.

General Rule #1 buy pants and a belt that is at least one size larger than normal. We all have done this (99.9%).

General Rule #2 you must be in control of your weapon at all times, if you use a backpack you better permanently affix to your body somehow (California law). If your not in direct possession the gun must be unloaded in a locked container/backpack.

Best solution is probably a fanny pack for exterior carry, this is California and by the way you should be worried about printing. Getting made is not cool in California, there are many here that will swat you if they don't castigate you publicly. It only takes one incident for your permit to be revoked/suspended pending review and it's not worth it. Carrying is not a casual gimmick and should be treated seriously, if you get made (printing) there are plenty in this state that may tackle you and take your weapon. Good running shoes and loose fitting pants may serve you better than tight fitting clothes with a weapon underneath that you can't access without tearing your shorts or breaking a button.

I'll be up front, I am not as informed about the strictness of California gun laws as I should be (I am fortunate that Florida is fairly gun-friendly). However, I absolutely understand not wanting to alter the way you dress, as I have to follow a corporate dress code at work.

The lowest-profile option that I've found, and currently use, are Remora no-clip IWB (Inside the waist band) holsters. It uses friction and pressure to stay in place, and I have nothing but great things to say about them. I'll leave it to you to determine if they would be California legal, but attached is my setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress?-img_0998_1483545274961.jpg  

Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress?-img_1012_1483545296539.jpg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I don't think ankle carry will work. The style of jeans in question make it hard to even get your feet through the opening.

Another alternative may be to look into a firearm that resembles a cell phone, such as a Taurus Curve (.380) or Home | Ideal Conceal. It would not look out of place in your pocket. Although not my preference in firearms, I would think it would be better than nothing.

OP, that's quite the dilemma, not willing to dress around carrying. May I suggest an NAA 22mag in the pocket. Otherwise you'll likely end up having to dress around the gun.

There is only one solution...

Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress?-walken.jpg

Its pretty simple folks. In the OP's social and work circles, wearing tight fitting clothes is blending in. Looking like a refugee from Duluth Trading Company would be completely out of place and inappropriate. I applaud the OP for coming here asking for assistance. We need more like him in CA, and unfortunately some of the responses here were less than helpful nor pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Its pretty simple folks. In the OP's social and work circles, wearing tight fitting clothes is blending in. Looking like a refugee from Duluth Trading Company would be completely out of place and inappropriate. I applaud the OP for coming here asking for assistance. We need more like him in CA, and unfortunately some of the responses here were less than helpful nor pleasant.
    While he certainly deserves respect and courtesy there is a limited amount of help that can be suggested for someone who dresses as he says he does and yet boldly states that he is unwilling to make clothing adjustments to enable concealment. Sorry.

Op…. I have a friend (who like you) likes to dress with tight fitting jeans and shirts… He refuses to adjust his clothing to accommodate carrying… So he decided to change his choice in pistols to accommodate his choice in clothing…

He carries a tiny Seecamp 380 in a Recluse Holster in his back pocket. It would be substantially smaller than your Kahr 9mm. Just looks like he is carrying a regular size wallet, and he does not seem to have a problem with a quick draw out of it.

Bottom line… If you are not willing to change the way you dress… You must change what you carry…

VIP Member
    So you are unwilling to not carry but unwilling to dress in a manner that allows you to do so effecyively.... you need to learn to compromise

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    ghost tracker likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I thought the same thing. In some circles, whether it be business, friends, or family, even slight changes to ones perceived norm will raise more red flags and draw more attention than a badly printing pistol. As time goes by and trends change, the OP may find his wardrobe to be more forgiving. But for now it is what it is.
    WebleyHunter and Old Man like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    I have found that a Vedder light tuck holster is the smallest, thinnest holster with good retention. It allows you to tuck your shirt. I think perhaps a form fitting shirt might be a challenge, but I have many different holsters and the Vedder is the best one. I must wear it just in front of my hip bone (about 2:30 position) where it can fit into the soft tissue so it doesn't stick out. I carry a single stack Glock 42, but a 43 9mm is about the same size. I am female so what works for me might not work for you at all.

I do not wear skin tight clothing, but I do wear form fitting jeans. I don't mind being an old lady but I refuse to dress like one!

I will say one thing loud and clear: ANY of the holsters that have a leather or neoprene backing with a kydex shell will add a couple inches to your waistline measurement. Both my husband and I have tried various kinds of those and they are miserable uncomfortable and impossible to button the top button of your jeans. The same is true for a Smart Carry or any kind of belly band. Extra fabric or elastic stripping equals extra inches around your waist. Yepper. It really does. My husband uses a plain unlined Remora and it stays in his waistband if he washes it regularly to get the unseen lint off of it which takes away the "stickiness" of the outside.

I hope this helps you in some way.
    dp1911 and Webreaker41 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    I wear standard fit jeans. Not the skinny and not the loose fit. Sometimes they feel a bit tight. I never have much trouble carrying appendix inside the waistband in a Remora holster. I can carry this way shorts, jeans, anything. I've done it with small 9mm, LCR and Jframe. Borh the LCR and Jframe bulge more on the grip than the small 9 and so I usually carry a small semi-auto for the added comfort less bulk.

VIP Member
    Perhaps the answer (a better answer, anyway) would be to carry an edged weapon, NOT a handgun, given that skinny jeans have the highest priority.

The entire notion of the OP's question defies logic, IMHO. But logic and making fashion statements have very, very little in common, do they ?
    dp1911 and Taurahe like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links