Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress?

This is a discussion on Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hesitate to make this post because I find that a majority of people on the forum wear looser clothing like Carhartt jeans and baggy ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: Without judgement, what might work for the way I dress?

I hesitate to make this post because I find that a majority of people on the forum wear looser clothing like Carhartt jeans and baggy thick cotton shirts, tucked in dress shirts, etc. I'm young and from California. On a daily basis I wear VERY skinny jeans (picture denim leggings, they're that small) and a formfitting button-up shirt or a fitting tee. I'm not willing to dress around my guns, but I'm also not willing to go unarmed now that I'm 21 years old. I own (and plan to carry) a S&W 442 and a Kahr PM9. Does anyone have a suggestion of a way to carry concealed that won't instantly break California law, won't be horribly uncomfortable, and won't involve some sort of purse or fanny pack or fancy underwear?
    Thanks in advance folks.

Are you a man or a woman?

Unwilliness to dress around the gun causes instant problems. Generally that means pocket carry for most people, but with skinny jeans I doubt that would work. Add a "formfitting" shirt and most of the options I'd suggest disappear. You gotta be willing to compromise some or admit that carrying a weapon on you may not jibe with your attire.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Unwilliness to dress around the gun causes instant problems. Generally that means pocket carry for most people, but with skinny jeans I doubt that would work. Add a "formfitting" shirt and most of the options I'd suggest disappear. You gotta be willing to compromise some or admit that carrying a weapon on you may not jibe with your attire.
    Pocket carry was what I have been thinking as well. I don't really mind printing as long as the gun remains concealed, so the only solution I've come up with is carrying the 442 in my pocket. Even then, I imagine it's going to cause some problems drawing the gun, so I thought I'd check with people who likely know more than I do.
    TeflonDon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Are you a man or a woman?
    Fair question, I am a man.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTangentsPls View Post
    Pocket carry was what I have been thinking as well. I don't really mind printing as long as the gun remains concealed, so the only solution I've come up with is carrying the 442 in my pocket. Even then, I imagine it's going to cause some problems drawing the gun, so I thought I'd check with people who likely know more than I do.
    Well that might be your best option. I can't imagine it being comfortable (but then I can't imagine wearing skinny jeans being comfortable) and yeah, drawing won't be easy or fast, but you'll be armed. Better than not being armed.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Everyone that ever starts carrying has some issues at first. I'm interested in how this progresses for you.
    jrobin3360 and baren like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Skinny jeans and form fitting button downs. Oh to be young again. You won't have these problems when you're pushing 50.

A tuckable holster might be an option if your shirts have any extra fabric at the waist, and if your jeans have some play or flexibility.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Soo why can't you have a small backpack? Everyone walks around with the backpack these days. Get a small non-tactical looking back pack and carry your tool in it. If you need me to be more specific, I can make some recommendations. Let me know.
    Well_Regulated likes this.

Not sure if you'd lump them it with "fanny packs" but, if not, you might want to consider one of those "large cellphone case" type belt holsters. Otherwise, you've effectively ruled out all the carry methods that would be most practical for the way you dress.

Well, your mode of dress will make it difficult to conceal. With those jeans, even pocket carry is iffy. If your jeans' fit allows it, Smartcarry is an alternative. Unless you alter your style, carrying concealed may not be an option. I strongly dislike off body carry, as it is less secure. Realistically, you may wish to rethink your priorities. Good luck.
    Certified Infidel

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Skinny jeans and form fitting button downs. Oh to be young again. You won't have these problems when you're pushing 50.

A tuckable holster might be an option if your shirts have any extra fabric at the waist, and if your jeans have some play or flexibility.
    This was my thought as well. And I would consider the PM9 in this application, less of a lump than the Smith. You may want to look at the horsehide backed options from White Hat Holsters. I like them my self for the added moisture resistance primarily, but also because the horsehide is thinner than cow leather, which I find more comfortable. You would need to eliminate thickness anywhere you can.

IWB Holsters | Concealed Holsters | Leather Gun Holsters - White Hat Holsters

Making an assumption here, but the upside to your fashion choices may be that they will likely change with the times, and allow you more options as trends change.

Good luck.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Maybe Smart Carry or Urban Carry? I honestly don't think pocket carry of a 442 or PM9 would work in skinny jeans. An ankle holster probably wouldn't either. You may want to consider a smaller gun if you're not willing to dress around it (i. e. LCP, Seecamp). Also, for pocket carry, it's not just the size of the gun and pockets that matter but also the size of your hands. I have a hard time fishing out a 442 or PM9 (I have both) from my pocket unless I'm wearing jeans with decent size, loose pockets.

Distinguished Member Array marshallman's Avatar
    The only option I can see is the PM9 pocket carry. Even with that, with the style of dress you describe, you're going to run the risk of printing and calling attention to the pistol, and having a tougher time drawing. You might be able to get away with a body band under your clothes, if they're not too tight. At any rate, good luck and welcome to the forum!
    "Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid."- John Wayne

VIP Member
    Size-larger skinny jeans and a very short-butted single stack semi carried IWB that won't print through your form-fitting button up shirt.
    CalCarry and PAJ like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Appendix carry is perfect for you. I don't wear skinny jeans but I wear fairly tight jeans when I dress up and have no issues. Granted most of the time I wear looser fitting clothes for comfort.

Pocket carry seems like a terrible idea for skinny jeans. Not only will it print like crazy you would have issues getting it out of the pocket.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links