Illinois classes

Illinois classes

This is a discussion on Illinois classes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long Story, but there has been a push by several of my family members to acquire some training and get their FOID/CCW. I'm curious if ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Illinois classes

Question Illinois classes

Long Story, but there has been a push by several of my family members to acquire some training and get their FOID/CCW. I'm curious if you all have thoughts about classes here that have the most bang for the buck. Ideally, all inclusive? They'd be willing to travel a little further, to avoid having to make trips all over for prints and pictures, etc....

We are in Will County, but can travel if needed, obviously.

Thanks in advance.

Rich P

Distinguished Member
    Mega Sports in Plainfield should be able to take care of them. Rt. 30 and Renwick. If not, they'll know where to go.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

rpflash-
    Congrats on looking for training. All too often folks view getting their permit as the 'end' of the journey... instead of the beginning.

I am in Will County as well. I'm not affiliated with these guys but, I've taken several courses through them. Additionally the Chief of Police from my town is one of their instructors. (they are current/retired ISP)
    ISP Conceal Carry

Website contains not only class info but, instructor backgrounds. This was of importance to myself.

Their Concealed carry fundamentals class, I've taken several times. They change it around to include new material. Instructors are very safety conscious & I've been in classes with folks of various ages, genders, and abilities... they manage it quite well.

Best of luck in your search.

Respectfully,
    rpflash100 likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

FOID cards take awhile. I think I waited three months for my last renewal. Have them get on that first.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Eric357 likes this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

When you go to apply for your FOID and CCL make sure your address is correct on your DL and other documents. Not having everything accurate will cost you time and much aggravation. We have a young man at work still caught in the quagmire going on 5 months now.
    Automatic likes this.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Distinguished Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rpflash100 View Post
    Long Story, but there has been a push by several of my family members to acquire some training and get their FOID/CCW. I'm curious if you all have thoughts about classes here that have the most bang for the buck. Ideally, all inclusive? They'd be willing to travel a little further, to avoid having to make trips all over for prints and pictures, etc....

We are in Will County, but can travel if needed, obviously.

Thanks in advance.

Rich P
    You don't need a class for FOID. Just get one.

CCL classes are all going to be pretty similar. There should be a list or lookup tool on the IL ISP's page to find a licensed instructor. I think most of them use Illinoiscarry's curriculum. 1 day NRA basic pistol, on day on the Illinois specific stuff. A pretty minimal range qualification. IIRC, 3, 7 and 10 yards, "keep it in the blue" on a standard target.
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIll View Post
    FOID cards take awhile. I think I waited three months for my last renewal. Have them get on that first.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    This. Apply for FOID first, get it on the way. With prints, they are supposed to get you your CCL in 90 days or less (120 days without prints), though if there are any LEO objections, it'll be over a year currently. The review board has over 2000 applications in the backlog of people to get through.

Good luck to them dealing with Illinois, one of the most regressive left states in the entire midwest.

Good info thanks. I'm a VA resident, so dealing with Illinois is quite aggravating.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rpflash100 View Post
    Good info thanks. I'm a VA resident, so dealing with Illinois is quite aggravating.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    It's almost worse living here... Except for the residency requirements for some things. Good luck to you and yours.

Definitely get a FOID first and make sure all info matches to a T. My Wife's CCL is postponed due to a missing middle initial on her FOID, Quite aggravating.

As already mentioned have them apply online for their FOID. Illinois no longer accepts paper applications. Foid suppose to only take 30 days but most folks over the past few years see more like 90 days. Until they get that they will not be able to take a class. Without the Foid card it is illegal for them to even handle a firearm so no way for them to take a ccw class.

When we took out IL ccw class a little over two years ago we opted for the electronic fingerprints. By doing this we had are ccw in 31 days. I know some folks hate the thought of fingerprints but I didn't mind. Mine were already file from my IN ccw years ago and my FL and UT ccw 3 years ago.
    SWIll likes this.
    I like the .40 .

Illinois classes aren't really "all inclusive" as instructors have to teach the criteria as dictated by Illinois lawmakers.

There is a place in Will county right off of I-80 and LaGrange, South about 1 mile and it's on the right, 197th street - Tactical Security Institute in Mokena.

Joe and Scott do great work with the class. You won't have NRA handgun classes with the CCL class but you can take those as separate classes. As well. They have CCL class every few weeks and get the 16 hours and range qualifications done in 2 days Sat/Sun.

We went there. I'm not affiliated with them but they are good instructors. I especially liked the Use of Force portion. I feel that should be the class for 16 hours, though. Basic handgun operation and maintenance, etc is very much not something you need a class for. They are exceedingly simple devices, mechanically, IMO. YouTube is fine to get a basic understanding of function but hey - Illinois wants what it wants and what it wants is backwards.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    You need the FOID card in Illinois to own a gun and to buy ammunition until you have your CCW. So you want the FOID card first. Then you want to follow the law about how to carry the unloaded gun to the range and get some practice because at the end of the CCW class is when you normally qualify and hitting the target with a gun that you are not used to can be a challenge. I sent mine in without the fingerprints and waited the extra month to get the permit.

First, congratulations on your decision. There is a new state of the art store/range that recently opened up in Mokena. They have the required classes.

Point Blank Range & Gun Shop
    shootpointblank.com
    18810 88th Ave, Mokena, IL 60448
    (708) 390-3177

For sure do the paperwork for your FOID first.

I'd then reach out to these guys. I like them very much and they hold classes up in McHenry, which I don't think is too far from you.

SPARTAN TACTICAL TRAINING GROUP / ILLINOIS CONCEALED CARRY COURSES / TACTICAL FIREARMS TRAINING COURSES IN ILLINOIS

I've taken a number of classes from them and I think the instruction is first rate. There's a minimum of macho ******** (none), a good mix of students and good experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links