Does this make sense

Does this make sense

This is a discussion on Does this make sense within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the situation is correct-some punk comes up to me and asks for my wallet, I should just give it to him because its cheaper ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Does this make sense

Does this make sense

If the situation is correct-some punk comes up to me and asks for my wallet, I should just give it to him because its cheaper than shooting him and having to pay to defend myself in the system.

I realize there is a bunch of gray area in this scenario but does doing this make sense?
    MisterMills357 likes this.

Did me ask nicely? Pretty please with sugar on top?
    Threatening? Demanding?
    Is there a weapon? Or the threat of one? Are you alone or are others there also being threatened?

Much grey ...
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

That is a valid choice and makes a lot of sense–particularly if the requirements for lethal force are not met. You must also consider that there is no guarantee that you won't be shot/cut/stabbed anyway. While you can (and should) "war game" hundreds of scenarios that will help you understand the dynamics involved, ultimately it's a decision you must make in the moment.

Know the laws and your equipment inside and out, and train as if you will need it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; May 25th, 2017 at 06:42 AM.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself – "hands behind the back" – toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    is no guarantee that you won't be shot/cut/stabbed anyway.
    Weapon seen or implied....
    This is my basic assumption and my actions be based on it.
    OldChap, Rabbit212 and Okeechobee like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Distinguished Member Array notavictim's Avatar
    I've played this out many times. The best I can come up with is this;

BG: Give me your wallet

Me: No

We'll see where it goes from there. I have trained on a few scenarios and I am smart enough to know that things don't usually go as you have trained, but I'm as prepared as I can be.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

When I die, I want to go like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep, not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

If he asks for your wallet, just tell him 'No' and be on your way. If he demands it, as in a robbery, that is an entirely different matter. Robbery in my state can be met with deadly force so the decision is mine as to how I might wish to respond.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dennycrane View Post
    If the situation is correct-some punk comes up to me and ask for my wallet, I should just give it to him because its cheaper than shooting him and having to pay to defend myself in the system.

I realize there is a bunch of gray area in this scenario but does doing this make sense?
    It depends.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It depends.
    Funny that this should come up

Doing a better job with 'It depends'
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Massad Ayoob says he carries a small money clip and tosses it at any would be punk robbers because it is simply easier and cheaper than the life altering event of an armed self defense conflict. It makes sense because in his scenario they grab the cash and run away. He has received some criticism for doing this but he says it is simply easier.

I would rather go this route if the circumstances were right.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post

For vague, can-go-lots-of-ways scenarios, it is sometimes the best answer I can come up with. Did he ask or demand? Where are his hands? What are in his hands? Is he alone? What's on my six? Am I alone? Are there physical disparities which preclude a less-than-lethal response? Is he worth shooting? Is he worth thumping? Does he simply need a couple bucks for a meal? Is he threatening? Can I simply tell him no and move on?

At the end of all my questions, sans answers, it depends.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post

since this appears to be a criticism which is being propagated to some degree, please let me say that:

saying "it depends" is a polite way of saying that the question is obviously too vague in the way it was framed. This goes back to the 1960's when there was a huge leap in the way police and military were being instructed. Saying "it depends" forces the instuctee to think for himself and is a quip that is intended to foster a more detailed question. Its not for the instructor to figure out what the student means or expound on a poorly framed question. Its for the student to use his head, offer a properly constructed question or keep their trap shut.
    Last edited by Fizban; May 25th, 2017 at 10:48 AM.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

It depends.
    Ill second that...

OP, all kidding aside. In your scenario a simple NO, while positioning yourself defensively would be a start. If the situation grows, so does your use of force...
    OldChap likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    Massad Ayoob says he carries a small money clip and tosses it at any would be punk robbers because it is simply easier and cheaper than the life altering event of an armed self defense conflict. It makes sense because in his scenario they grab the cash and run away. He has received some criticism for doing this but he says it is simply easier.

I would rather go this route if the circumstances were right.
    this would be my response with a little twist

When the BG goes to pick up the wallet/money clip I pull my weapon and "rob" it back from him and be on my merry way. I might even take whatever other money he might have as an object lesson.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    this would be my response with a little twist

When the BG goes to pick up the wallet/money clip I pull my weapon and "rob" it back from him and be on my merry way. I might even take whatever other money he might have as an object lesson.
    Uh...not a good idea....too many things could go wrong. Then you end up with an armed robbery charge or you have to shoot the kid when he pulls a weapon. Best to run away and live to fight another day.

For vague, can-go-lots-of-ways scenarios, it is sometimes the best answer I can come up with.
    exactly.. and its actually a suggested response ( from 1963 text) to those sort of questions. I am with Mike and Harry on this one.. It Depends
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links