9 Critical Concealed Carry Lessons: Ep. 1 Stop The Nonsense! - Page 6

9 Critical Concealed Carry Lessons: Ep. 1 Stop The Nonsense!

This is a discussion on 9 Critical Concealed Carry Lessons: Ep. 1 Stop The Nonsense! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bsms2 I started riding horses at...well, I had gray hair. Like a lot of beginners, I fell victim to looking for "The ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree419Likes

Thread: 9 Critical Concealed Carry Lessons: Ep. 1 Stop The Nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by bsms2 View Post
    I started riding horses at...well, I had gray hair. Like a lot of beginners, I fell victim to looking for "The Magic Saddle". If I could just find The Magic Saddle, I'd be able to ride any horse. But as the years went on, I realized there is no "Magic Saddle". You don't need to find The Magic Saddle. You need experience. Once you ride enough, your experience makes most any saddle work OK.

A lot of new CCWers search for The Magic Pistol. If they could just find the right handgun, they could carry anywhere and protect themselves from any threat. But The Magic Pistol is as elusive as The Magic Saddle. You don't need The Magic Pistol. You need enough time shooting to be effective with whatever it is you have chosen to carry. A bad guy ought to be afraid of my SIL even if my SIL is holding a Ruger Blackhawk. And a bad guy shouldn't discount me if all I have is my 22 revolver - the one I've owned and shot for 40 years.

I eventually ended up with a semi-custom saddle. Fits me, my horse, where I ride and how I ride. It makes it easier to ride, but I can adjust to using almost any saddle. And after trying a variety of carry options, I'm pretty much down to carrying a J-frame and/or a Berretta Pico. Fits me, where I go, when I go, and feels comfortable in my hand. And I don't much care any more how someone else rides a horse, provided they aren't abusing the horse. And I don't care much if someone else wants to carry a 1911 or a Glock Whatever or an NAA derringer. I'd rather a person carry an NAA 22 than not carry. And if someone can conceal a service gun and is happy doing so, that is fine too.

Someone starting to carry ought to plan on spending more on qualified instruction and ammo during their first year than on their gun. You could use almost any of the well-recommended guns - a Shield, a Glock, a J-frame, etc. Spend a year shooting and carrying - and THEN make any changes your lifestyle requires. Don't chase The Magic Pistol. Buy any ONE of the standards, carry and make a point of shooting it a lot. THEN go bigger, smaller, more capacity, less capacity, with a light or without.

I think that is all the original article is really saying.
    If you and @Fizban keep using logic and being sensible, you are going to ruin this thread.
    OldVet, OldChap, wmhawth and 6 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If you and @Fizban keep using logic and being sensible, you are going to ruin this thread.
    Nothing worse than a couple of thread party poopers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I watched this and have no real issue except the flashlight. I have a lot of use for a good flashlight. I work nights in a part of town that does not believe in parking lot lights and has half it's street lights burned out.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    maxwell97 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry a Shield and sometimes a spare mag, I ALWAYS have a knife on me... I have a flashlight in the truck if needed.
    arizona likes this.

Just trying to help @OldVet and @glockman10mm keep the guardrails up on this place... its like plugging a leak in the dam with your finger
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Just trying to help @OldVet and @glockman10mm keep the guardrails up on this place... its like plugging a leak in the dam with your finger
    You gotta know it brother!
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    Personal opinon I never want to be in a situation i didn't bring "enough" gun. todays guns and bullet technology its not hard to hide and carry a 15-17 shot 9mm with good quality ammo and a 17-21 round mag as a back up.

Currently my standard load out on my person is a G19 with a 15 round magazine, a 21 round magpul magazine, and a g26 with a 10 round mag on the ankle. My brief case I keep 3 spare 21 round magazines in my office. On my body I always have 47 rounds plus a gun i can access with either hand. That should be able to deal with just about anything short of a Walking Dead issue. In that case my brief case has a spare 63 rounds to get me home to break out the big guns. I will admit that sometimes I will take an AR SBR or AR pistol to work.

Seems like just YMMV to me.

Definitely a ton of info and opinions out there.
    Digest, filter and find what works for you.

Good Luck.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Oh, c'mon. Most people know about where they live and where they are going.
    My P320 357 goes everywhere. Usually the one mag. It's a C on a SC grip, so 13 rnds. It has a Crimson T laser set to the same 15 yds as the irons.
    I'm not going anywhere I need my M4. It's for SHTF.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Same way I look at it. His opinion, some I agree with, some I don't.

I do what I do, and screw what others think.

Very well said. This has been my thoughts for a long time, but even more so lately.
    I like the .40 .

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that you don't need a batman belt and bump helmet in order to be able to offer a meaningful armed defense. What you need is a weapon you are proficient with, training, a little personal grit and blind luck.

Have you ever seen photos of the fighting in Mogadishu? Those guys are rolling with flip flops, brightly colored tank top and a AK. I mean come on.. its aint all about looking like a poster boy for 5.11 gear. Sometimes you just have to focus on your capabilities and stop trying to look or sound the part. A trip to the corner store is not a SPECOP mission. There is no POV if you are never OD.. There is no AAR if you are not involved in direct A.. You DEPLOY a fleet of ships, not your pocket knife... There is no OP-SEC when there is no OP to speak of and whatever you are carrying as a citizen is not a loadout.
    I'm so freaking un-tactical that I have no idea what POV,OD,AAR, A mean. Working on first cup of coffee so to darn lazy this morning to look them up or even really care what the mean.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I like the .40 .

I just carry what ever I want and don't care if it is approved by others. I use to say I carried my 229 90% of the time. For what ever reason this summer been running a little under the weather since being back from vacation and have backed it down to my PPS 40 with two spare or sometimes one spare mag. Have to drive down to MS Monday to visit the in-laws that moved down there. Going through Memphis, lazy or not the 229 or 226 will either be on me or near me. I'll get back to carrying my 229 regularly again.

Spare flashlight. I've tried to get back into the habit of carrying my small $12 LED Maglite solitaire. Nope its not a lot of light but slips into the pocket as easy as a small pocket knife. Main reason is we have been having a lot of storms and it get really dark down at the church when the lights go out.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    I like the .40 .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    I'm so freaking un-tactical that I have no idea what POV,OD,AAR, A mean. Working on first cup of coffee so to darn lazy this morning to look them up or even really care what the mean.
    I like you better already..
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    I just carry what ever I want and don't care if it is approved by others. I use to say I carried my 229 90% of the time. For what ever reason this summer been running a little under the weather since being back from vacation and have backed it down to my PPS 40 with two spare or sometimes one spare mag. Have to drive down to MS Monday to visit the in-laws that moved down there. Going through Memphis, lazy or not the 229 or 226 will either be on me or near me. I'll get back to carrying my 229 regularly again.

Spare flashlight. I've tried to get back into the habit of carrying my small $12 LED Maglite solitaire. Nope its not a lot of light but slips into the pocket as easy as a small pocket knife. Main reason is we have been having a lot of storms and it get really dark down at the church when the lights go out.

Sounds down to earth and reasonably capable to me.
    Eric357, glockman10mm and AzQkr like this.

Distinguished Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Thanks for that.

Needs and situations change and we need to reevaluate things now and again.

Arrogance and complacency kill.

Obviously I have my own thoughts as to what my minimum edc is.

Whatever gun I carry I also carry a reload. I also carry a slip joint Case Trapper, a lock blade knife and a chemical deterrent. If I expect I may be out after dark I also carry a small flashlight, even if I only ever use it to find the car keys I dropped in the snow drift.
    sethrus likes this.
    "We all have to work out our own salvation" -- Jim Higginbotham

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links