Took CCW class, now don't want to carry at all! - Page 6

Took CCW class, now don't want to carry at all!

This is a discussion on Took CCW class, now don't want to carry at all! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fizban it sounds like he made the best decision.. ..............and we're probably all the better as a result...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree360Likes

Thread: Took CCW class, now don't want to carry at all!

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    it sounds like he made the best decision..
    ..............and we're probably all the better as a result
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

AZ concealed carry course was designed to teach restraint, something you key board commandos need to learn.
    TeflonDon likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rainsong's Avatar
    Albuquerque, NM (although not really NEW, not really MEXICO!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackjones View Post
    AZ concealed carry course was designed to teach restraint, something you key board commandos need to learn.
    Sounds more like it was designed to scare you out of ever using your gun... unless you sign up for USCCA or the attorney he was pushing. Sorry, the instructor had an agenda IMHO.
    OldChap, SatCong and gasmitty like this.

CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm, CZ75 B 9mm
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Ruger LCP Custom .380
    SIg Sauer P938 9mm (Wife's)
    Sig Sauer P238 .380 (Wife's)

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ouch!

Sent from my subspace communicator
    OldChap and PhaedrusIV like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Restrained since 1994.. whats your point?

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Az HAS stand your ground doctrine

Arizona Self-Defense

In Arizona you are justified in threatening or using physical force to defend yourself against another to the extent that a reasonable person would believe it is immediately necessary to protect themself against another personís use of unlawful physical force against them. For example, if someone is punching you, or attempting to punch you, you may use just enough physical force against them to stop them from punching you. You may not punch them until they fall to the ground and then start kicking them.

Arizona Self-Defense and The Truth About Stand Your Ground - Davis Miles McGuire Gardner, PLLC

Arizona Stand Your Ground

Here is the supposedly controversial part of the law. You do not have a duty to retreat before threatening or using deadly physical force if you are in a place where you may legally be and you are not engaged in an unlawful act. Surprised? All that Stand Your Ground means is that you do not have to run away if you would be otherwise justified to use deadly force. This was not even an issue in the Zimmerman case. Zimmerman was accused of provoking the situation and escalating it all the way to deadly force. Stand Your Ground does not allow this.

Arizona Limitations on Self Defense

Arizona does place some limitations on the use of self-defense. You are not justified in using physical force against another person in response to a verbal provocation. If someone insults your mother, you are not justified in physical attacking them.

Likewise, you are not justified in using physical force to resist an arrest by a police officer, even if that arrest is unlawful, unless the police officerís use of physical force exceeds that allowed by law. If Officer Friendly is arresting you and you do not believe the charge is justified, you may not fight with Officer Friendly to try to prevent the arrest. On the other hand, if Officer Friendly has you handcuffed and is bashing your head against the hood of his car, then you may be justified in using physical force to stop him and to protect yourself. Keep in mind that in these situations, the prosecutor reviewing the case is going to give the police officers the benefit of the doubt.

Also, Arizona law does not permit you to use physical force if you were the one who provoked the encounter unless you withdraw from the encounter, or clearly communicate it is your intent to withdraw from the encounter, and the other person still attempts to use unlawful physical force against you. If you go up to some big guy, punch him, and insult his mother, and the big guy starts beating you up, you are not justified in using physical force unless you attempt to leave and withdraw from the encounter and the other person continues attacking you.

I suggest the OP read the statutes for Az, and not pay attention to anyone but the official states website and use of deadly force laws. We have one of the best deadly force use doctrines in the country. The definitive answers are found within, not from some ccw instructor. Take your information from the source, not a layperson
    Mostly correct about AZ. "Stand Your Ground" law is a nick name or buzz word for changes in self defense laws that remove the duty to retreat before using lawful deadly force. AZ 13-405 B covers the change in law. No were in the law are the words "stand your ground" used. Zimmermans lawyer chose not to use the "Stand Your Ground" defense, because he thought he would loose the pretrial "Stand Your Ground" hearing.

VIP Member
    I LOVE my new title !
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
    Sounds more like it was designed to scare you out of ever using your gun... unless you sign up for USCCA or the attorney he was pushing. Sorry, the instructor had an agenda IMHO.
    I took the AZ CCW class over 10 years ago. I was taught the same thing. It's designed to teach you to think about, if your justified in using deadly force, before you have to use it. You get taught when it's illegal to use deadly force. So you don't use illegal deadly force.
    TeflonDon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    I LOVE my new title !
    Grasshopper you haven't learned restraint.
    PhaedrusIV and TeflonDon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by eb2007 View Post
    Restrained since 1994.. whats your point?
    Restraint means when your not justified in using deadly force. Or when using deadly force might not be the best option.

What do you mean? I haven't shot anybody yet this week.

Restraint means when your not justified in using deadly force. Or when using deadly force might not be the best option.
    You should use restraint with your posts.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eb2007 View Post
    You should use restraint with your posts.
    I have used restraint. My posts are short & to the point.

With the exception of your pointed insult to everyone who posted in the thread that disagreed with your AE that disappeared.

I see that.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links