Storing your carry gun in safe: Loaded or unloaded. - Page 3

Storing your carry gun in safe: Loaded or unloaded.

This is a discussion on Storing your carry gun in safe: Loaded or unloaded. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a holster on the shelf in my bedroom. Loaded. My one carry revolver that I own is also my home defense gun....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Storing your carry gun in safe: Loaded or unloaded.

In a holster on the shelf in my bedroom. Loaded.

My one carry revolver that I own is also my home defense gun.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    I store guns in my safe unloaded, cleaned and oiled. I don't store my EDC since it's either on my belt or on my nightstand.

No rugrats, but I now also keep a 9mm under the edge of my pillow in a modified leather holster that has all excess material removed, but does cover the trigger. Goes back in safe in the mornings and safe stays locked until bedtime.

Name:  BT 9UC @ Night.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  45.2 KB
    USAF, Retired
    ✟✟✟ Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 ✟✟✟
    Life Member: VFW, VVA, DAV, VSPA, NRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I keep a 9mm and a .45 along with my Shotgun loaded and ready to go in my safe...w/the door opened for easy access if need be. And, I keep a 9mm in both my living room table compartment when I'm in that area and in the nightstand in my bedroom when I'm there. A piece that's ready to rock and roll is ALWAYS nearby me....ALWAYS!!
    9uc likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

My EDC is always condition 1, whether it's on me or on my nightstand. Two other handguns in the house for Wifey's use also ready to go, unless kids are over then they (the guns) get locked up. Rifle is in a Plano hard case unloaded with 4 loaded mags ready. Plano case also gets locked when the kids are over and I'm not around.
    Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
    -H. Jackson Brown

I don't store loaded firearms in safes... still check it before it goes in/out, but I feel safes are a big target for a thief. If they manage to break into one of my Liberty Safes, I rather them be pissed off that they don't have a loaded firearm after all that work. Only ammo in my safe is spam cans, which I use to prop short guns up (don't preach about dangers, it is my decision). If someone wants ammo for the guns that are in the safe (pretty much Russian/Soviet ammo), let them open up the spam cans... at least you'll likely get DNA.

I keep two shotguns outside of the safe, near the bed. I do have a ejection port lock on the Remington, and a simple lock that I rigged to work in my Ithaca. Me and my girlfriend have a key, each, on our key rings. For us to leave the house, we need our keys... so the guns should always be secure when we leave. Come home and get ready for bed, put key in lock. System has worked pretty well.

In regards to lockboxes, I don't consider them safes... too easy to walk off with. I have one in my trunk, in case I need to secure a handgun for whatever reason. Usually just toss it in the holster back there, loaded.

Nobody wants to report a stole firearm, but I feel at least making the effort to secure it goes a long way. You obviously didn't just leave it out, so if someone steals it, you did enough to attempt to deter it.

Senior Moderator
    Out of a dozen pistolas in the safe, half are 'action ready'.
    drift likes this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    Typically, my carry weapons go in the nightstand loaded and in the holster. The holster protects the trigger so I don't worry about unloading. If kids are going to be around, I will lock them up elsewhere.
    Same here I have two Loaded Glocks in Remora Holsters (Can't beat the price) One LCP Loaded in its pocket holster and my G19 that has a MIC Trigger guard on it !
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

sgb
    No children in the house so there are numerous loaded firearms around the house as well as in the safes.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

My carry gun stays close by or in my pocket until I go to bed, then its on the nightstand, it is never unloaded. (we have no kids at home anymore). Guns stored in the safe are unloaded.

Note: when I was still a working cop with kids at home, when I entered the house (from garage into kitchen) my duty weapon went on top the frig til I went to bed. My kids were taught gun safety from an early age and knew not to touch it.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member

Distinguished Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Carry gun is on the night stand when not on my person....and I will store loaded guns in the safe as well...because I KNOW they are ALWAYS loaded! No kids to worry about and wife stays away from the safe anyway....so not a problem.
    "The great object is that every man be armed."
    Patrick Henry

NRA Benefactor Member
    USCG Veteran

Distinguished Member Array Rainsong's Avatar
    Albuquerque, NM (although not really NEW, not really MEXICO!)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckJM53 View Post
    Nightstand gun and carry rotation always loaded/available and never see the inside of a safe.
    Yeah, pretty much this. I don't own a lot of guns and don't have kids or grandkids around so the ones that aren't my EDC or nightstand gun are kept in their box unloaded in the closet. Really should look at safe I guess. I do keep another 1 or 2 scattered around the house loaded just in case a break-in happens between where I am and the bedroom in the event I'm not carrying.

CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm, CZ75 B 9mm
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Ruger LCP Custom .380
    SIg Sauer P938 9mm (Wife's)
    Sig Sauer P238 .380 (Wife's)

Some pistols in my safe are loaded, because they are part of my carry rotation. I see no reason to unload them. My AR is stored in my safe with a full magazine, but without a round in the chamber.
    Goldy49 likes this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
    Yeah, pretty much this. I don't own a lot of guns and don't have kids or grandkids around so the ones that aren't my EDC or nightstand gun are kept in their box unloaded in the closet. Really should look at safe I guess. I do keep another 1 or 2 scattered around the house loaded just in case a break-in happens between where I am and the bedroom in the event I'm not carrying.
    During the infrequent times I have little ones around (or nosy big ones), the Master BR door is locked ... problem solved.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

VIP Member
    My carry guns stay in a lockbox when not in use since they're also my 'nightstand' guns. They're always loaded unless I'm cleaning them or in the middle of a mag swap
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links