Conceal carry insurance - opinions welcome

This is a discussion on Conceal carry insurance - opinions welcome within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody on here a member of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network? I know Mas Ayoob is on their panel of experts so that alone ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Conceal carry insurance - opinions welcome

Senior Member Array thechriskarel's Avatar

Anybody on here a member of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network? I know Mas Ayoob is on their panel of experts so that alone makes me want to choose them for my conceal carry insurance. Second choice is USCCA. Thoughts? Are groups like this overkill? Any advice is welcome.

VIP Member
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array Rainsong's Avatar
    Albuquerque, NM (although not really NEW, not really MEXICO!)
    Sure, this subject has been beaten to death, but which one hasn't? I use CCW Safe. Here is a quick comparison chart of the ones out there. CCW Safe also just finished getting a client off a first degree murder charge. Apprently the first of it's kind in the CCW insurance industry.

Conceal carry insurance - opinions welcome-ccw_competitor_comparisonrold_page_1.jpg
    Militant likes this.

CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm, CZ75 B 9mm
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Ruger LCP Custom .380
    SIg Sauer P938 9mm (Wife's)
    Sig Sauer P238 .380 (Wife's)

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You can't know if it's worthwhile until you have used it.

A better option is to avoid a firing solution at all cost, except the gravest extreme.

Thanks for the chart, though. Who puts it out? I'm guessing it's CCW Safe.
    Rainsong and bahlers like this.

I've said this on threads of this topic previously, but it bears repeating: I took an SD Law class put on by Arsenal Attorneys, who are not affiliated with any "carry insurance" providers. They mostly do gun trusts, but also criminal defense and litigation in gun-related cases. The class asked about carry insurance.

The senior partner of the firm said that they may be useful, but he strongly suggests that if you are thinking of signing up with one of these programs, ask for a copy of the agreement you will have to sign with them. Then take that document to an independent lawyer and have it evaluated for what it actually requires them to do and what it does not. It is worth the one-time extra money to find out what you are really getting and what you are not. They may claim things that are "weasel-worded" away in the fine print.

He said the main thing he has seen when reviewing these agreements is that they don't promise you an attorney who is truly qualified. He suggests you want to pick your own. Even though a program may say it screens their attorneys, that doesn't mean their criteria is what it should be. It us more likely they will screen for someone who will work for what they pay.

Here's what you want in an immediate-after-action attorney:
    1. An experienced criminal defense attorney. Yes, I know you are not a criminal and you probably have nothing but contempt for people who defend criminals. But you are trying not to become a criminal and that's what these guys specialize in. You do not need a gun rights attorney or a litigation attorney in the immediate aftermath. Maybe later, depending on where the case goes.
    2. Someone who knows the local jurisdiction your SD incident occurred in. Someone who knows the cops, the clerks, the prosecutors and the judges and how the local system works.
    3. Someone who will be available immediately 24/7. There can be an advantage of the attorney getting on the shooting scene while it is still being investigated, if he has the experience to know what to look for. He can also get you out of the cops clutches before you get interrogated. Buy some time, make sure your story is clear.

If your "insurance" plan cannot get you that and pay for it, all the rest doesn't matter. All the stuff about covering trial costs is secondary. You don't even what it to go that far.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I also use CCW Safe.
    Rainsong and Militant like this.

I had Second Call Defense for a few years and had no issues with them. Last year I switched to Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. Met my needs and just one yearly fee vs monthly payments. And you have access to experts like Massad Ayoob if needed in court.

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I never heard of CCW Safe. Got to check them out.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

I am a member of the Armed Citizens' legal Defense Network and have been a member for 4-5 years. CCW Safe has a video posedt of a case that they just concluded in clearing Stephen Maddox(google for details of case) of a self defense shooting in Wilson NC.,which is one town over from my hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
    Sure, this subject has been beaten to death, but which one hasn't? I use CCW Safe. Here is a quick comparison chart of the ones out there. CCW Safe also just finished getting a client off a first degree murder charge. Apprently the first of it's kind in the CCW insurance industry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCW_Competitor_ComparisonROld_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	211713
    Well I joined the NRA Carry Guard mainly because I trust the NRA to choose an Insurance company that will be there is I need it. I have read this chart, on another site where I could actually read it, and it contains many outright false claims about Carry Guard. Obviously the chart was put out when Carry Guard was fairly new so they just guessed. Carry Guard does guarantee you will speak to a live person (American) when you call 24/7. They offer 3 levels of protection, pay more get more. Not saying they are the best but much better than the chart claims.
    Rainsong likes this.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    Well I joined the NRA Carry Guard mainly because I trust the NRA to choose an Insurance company that will be there is I need it. I have read this chart, on another site where I could actually read it, and it contains many outright false claims about Carry Guard. Obviously the chart was put out when Carry Guard was fairly new so they just guessed. Carry Guard does guarantee you will speak to a live person (American) when you call 24/7. They offer 3 levels of protection, pay more get more. Not saying they are the best but much better than the chart claims.
    OP said opinions welcome. It was just my opinion. :)

S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Ruger LCP Custom .380

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    I notice you are from NM and Michigan. Were you APD by chance?

S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Ruger LCP Custom .380

I am and have been a proud member of Armed Citizen Defense Network for very long time. They are and set the standard for knowledge and experience in dealing with after an incident. If was not for them (meaning the legends who founded it, look them up) all the others would not exist.

I was at the NRA Carry Guard Expo in Milwaukee, WI and briefly talked with a representative and got a pamphlet containing some info about the plan. Having the huge financial backing and power of the NRA behind you seems like a better bet over some of the others but it is still too new and I'm still unsure as to the real worth of these plans. The rather low probability of the need for their services verses the premiums they charge doesn't seem to be that good a deal.

I've been seriously considering joining Armed Citizen Defense Network as they've been around a long time, are experienced and have plainly stated what they can do for you in understandable terms. It seems a more honest plan with no hidden jargon, and who wouldn't want the likes of Masaad Ayoob on their side?

I would never join USCCA simply because of all the annoying, overly-aggressive emails they've sent me. Any organization sends that many emails is questionable at best.
    riverrambler likes this.

Ex Member Array USCCASocialCare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ManAtArms View Post
    I was at the NRA Carry Guard Expo in Milwaukee, WI and briefly talked with a representative and got a pamphlet containing some info about the plan. Having the huge financial backing and power of the NRA behind you seems like a better bet over some of the others but it is still too new and I'm still unsure as to the real worth of these plans. The rather low probability of the need for their services verses the premiums they charge doesn't seem to be that good a deal.

I've been seriously considering joining Armed Citizen Defense Network as they've been around a long time, are experienced and have plainly stated what they can do for you in understandable terms. It seems a more honest plan with no hidden jargon, and who wouldn't want the likes of Masaad Ayoob on their side?

I would never join USCCA simply because of all the annoying, overly-aggressive emails they've sent me. Any organization sends that many emails is questionable at best.
    We owe you an apology @ManAtArms .

We never try to be annoying, we simply try to ensure that when we put a message out about an opportunity, that it gets seen.

It does a disservice to the entire self defense community if we stay quiet because knowledge is power, especially if it saves lives.

We're always happy to tailor your email experience to your liking, even down to just 1 per week. :)

Robb
    USCCA Social Care
    AirWolfWV and bahlers like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links