Trying to decide what the best CC legal coverage is.

This is a discussion on Trying to decide what the best CC legal coverage is. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interested in CCW SAFE but I see that the NRA now has coverage. Anyone know if one is superior to the other. Are premium costs ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Trying to decide what the best CC legal coverage is.

Interested in CCW SAFE but I see that the NRA now has coverage. Anyone know if one is superior to the other. Are premium costs about the same?

I had the NRA coverage but my attorney said it really only covers you if you live in a state where the BG can sue you for civil damages. In Florida and Ohio they cannot.

The VCDL recently sent out questionnaires to nine legal plans and has published the results at the link below. It is a useful side-by-side comparison. A gun rights attorney, who has no financial interest in firearm legal plans, told me that once you narrow your choices down to a few plans, it would be worth the extra expense to gather the agreement documents from each plan and have them analyzed by an independent contracts attorney. He said that would really tell you want each plan is committed to and what it can wriggle out of.

I doubt there is one best plan. There is a plan that gives you as much of what you want at as close as possible to what you want to pay.

Virginia Citizens Defense League - Legal Plan Comparison
    OldChap, sdprof, AnthonyC and 1 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

PS: Here's how I'm using the VCDL information. I cut and pasted the survey results into a Word document. Then I went through and eliminated all the questions that were irrelevant to me or I didn't care about. Then for each question, I gave the plan a point if I liked their answer. I also deducted a point if I thought their answer was especially bad, but that only happened once. The results for me, for my needs and preferences, produced four top plans. The following is my ranking of those top four, but they were pretty close, so I think all four deserve closer scrutiny before I make a decision:
    1. Second Call Defense
    2. CCW Safe/ USCCA (tie)
    3. Self Defense Fund

YMMV depending on what is important to you, but you could follow the same methodology I did. I am now going to read the fine print of each of those four plans and hopefully get it down to one or two. Finally, I will probably get an independent attorney to look at each of their plan documents to make sure they are legally committed to what they say they provide. Fortunately for me, my wife is a paralegal at a law firm. I am on good terms with her attorney boss and he is a gun guy. I'm hoping to get him to look at them pro bono.
    Rdiorio25 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    The VCDL recently sent out questionnaires to nine legal plans and has published the results at the link below. It is a useful side-by-side comparison. A gun rights attorney, who has no financial interest in firearm legal plans, told me that once you narrow your choices down to a few plans, it would be worth the extra expense to gather the agreement documents from each plan and have them analyzed by an independent contracts attorney. He said that would really tell you want each plan is committed to and what it can wriggle out of.

I doubt there is one best plan. There is a plan that gives you as much of what you want at as close as possible to what you want to pay.

Virginia Citizens Defense League - Legal Plan Comparison
    Thanks for the link. Lots of good information.

Good information. I have been giving Insurance some thought lately myself.

Bob
    Big Creek Kydex Speed Loader Carriers
    ICORE MO2908
    NRA Life

FWIW, I use Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network. As a new member, along with the coverage I got a stack of dvds, literally 8 dvds on various topics related to self-defense, legal aspects, etc. That was a nice touch.

Here's a good write up on a local firearms trainer who had to shoot a home intruder and his experience with ACLDN and the legal aftermath: https://americanhandgunner.com/home-...daub-incident/ (it's a great read regardless)
    10thmtn, jackrock and Gary Slider like this.

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar
    Also thanks for the info. I was with Second Call and switched to NRA Carry Guard. Looking back, I may go back to Second Call.
    --Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If you’re carrying a gun for self-defense, don’t practice like a target shooter. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time not to be nice.

Sponsor
    If anyone has questions about CCW safe let me know. I work there.

All products have advantages and disadvantages. I encourage everyone to research thoroughly and make an informed decision. The NRA product is re-imbursement based. The others you can go to their websites and check out.

Best
    AnthonyC and Puckrobber like this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Welcome to the site garyatccwsafe.
    bigdogtx likes this.
    Joe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post
    FWIW, I use Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network. As a new member, along with the coverage I got a stack of dvds, literally 8 dvds on various topics related to self-defense, legal aspects, etc. That was a nice touch.

Here's a good write up on a local firearms trainer who had to shoot a home intruder and his experience with ACLDN and the legal aftermath: https://americanhandgunner.com/home-...daub-incident/ (it's a great read regardless)
    So, did Gene get to keep the ten grand?
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    I had the NRA coverage but my attorney said it really only covers you if you live in a state where the BG can sue you for civil damages. In Florida and Ohio they cannot.
    Yes they can. It's not that simple. It is up to a judge to award you immunity.

(3)"The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1)."

It is my (rightly or wrongly) understanding that "immunity" from civil suit must be petitioned.

https://blog.uslawshield.com/fl-no-more-civil-immunity/
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by heymarv View Post

I too am a member of, and highly recommend Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network. As far as the stack of DVDs, that is training. You will watch those DVDs and take notes as you watch them. You will store those notes on an ACLDN server. If, heaven forbid, you do get in
    legal trouble after a "good" shooting, Those DVDs and the notes that you took as you watched them can be, if needed, introduced into court as evidence of the additional training that you have voluntarily engaged in. The books that you have studied, such as those by Chris Bird and Massad Ayoob can also be introduced on your behalf, so take notes when you read them. Oh, did I mention that Massad Ayoob is on the board of the ACLDN? or that Hickok45 is a member? In one of his videos he talks about looking at all the available plans before deciding that ACLDN was the best choice for him.
    Gary Slider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    So, did Gene get to keep the ten grand?
    I would imagine he was paid at least some of it. Despite being no-billed the lawyer still went to work on behalf of Mr. Daub as spokesman and interacting with press to get accurate info out. Among other things I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yes they can. It's not that simple. It is up to a judge to award you immunity.

(3)"The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1)."

It is my (rightly or wrongly) understanding that "immunity" from civil suit must be petitioned.

https://blog.uslawshield.com/fl-no-more-civil-immunity/
    Disagree. Subsection 1 is pretty clear.

(1) A person who uses or threatens to use force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in such conduct and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use or threatened use of such force by the person, personal representative, or heirs of the person against whom the force was used or threatened,

In every state a judge will decide if it's a good shoot or bad shoot right off the bat.

As long as you meet the requirements of 776.012, 776.013 and 776.031 you are good to go. BTW if you don't meet those requirements your insurance doesn't cover you because it's a bad shoot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links