A Reminder Tonight of Why I Carry - Page 2

A Reminder Tonight of Why I Carry

This is a discussion on A Reminder Tonight of Why I Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always remember... your vehicle is also a weapon but keep the doors LOCKED. And although it is not impervious, bullets do not penetrate auto glass ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: A Reminder Tonight of Why I Carry

Distinguished Member Array BlackhawkGirl's Avatar
    Always remember... your vehicle is also a weapon but keep the doors LOCKED. And although it is not impervious, bullets do not penetrate auto glass as easy as you see in the movies so you have some level of protection in your vehicle. Conversely, trying to fire through one of your windows would be a very bad idea also. Keep in mind, that you must always be aware of who/what is beyond the area where you might open fire. There could be little kids in the back seat of the car next to you, behind the perp.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Everything I needed to know in life was captured in one Indiana Jones minute:

https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

I think staying in the vehicle and deciding to look at guitars another day was the best decision. We can argue intentions and knock down power all day long. There is no argument that a 3000lb car has more knock down that 9mm or even 45. At some point your spidey senses told you something was wrong and you chose to leave I think that was wise. Congratulations on your situational awareness which saw the guy way before he approached you. Many would have been glued to their phones until he was close enough to touch them. The worst thing you could have done was disregard your feelings and walk in the store because "oh Ive got a gun".
    If nothing else you learned just how long it takes to access your weapon and just how close to eternity that feels when you are reaching for it. Imagine if the guy had opened the door and started swinging and beating you how long it would have taken.
    Chaplain Scott and BkCo1 like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertywheel View Post
    What was the threat?
    This.
    Heaven forbid someone be around you in public.
    There was a potential threat, but no implied threat.
    Disparity of force was in your favor, SUV vs bicycle, you & wife vs him. Was the other person an accomplice or just another Joe that will talk to people?
    I guess since I've worked with the homeless and the developmentally disabled I don't assume "threat" immediately, but I do watch for it.
    I would have replied "No, I don't want to see your ID. Go away". I carry on body as does my wife. She's also ex-LEO (I'm not).
    In our case, she would have probably been driving her truck (Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab long bed 4x4). I'm an OTR trucker now, so I drive enough at work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    CreedDryrot likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Another thought I had was the venue here. I'm an amatuer musician also and I get to Guitar Center about every other month or so. Let's just say they have a clientele that's, how can I say this, "cognitively diverse." In other words, you can occasionally run into a flake there. The behavior of the bicyclist described by the OP was way out of line for normal society, but it just doesn't surprise me in a Guitar Center parking lot.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Other then not having your weapon on you, you did good. You were the only one to determine the threat level. The bride and I were in Salt Lake City a couple of weeks ago and she was approached by an aggressive pan handler. I wrapped my fingers around my pocket gun, just in case. Just like your incident mine ended well. Find a good holster and practice drawing (unloaded) from your seat in your vehicle. Thanks for sharing your story, it gives us all something to think about.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

When I am in a vehicle I always open carry my sidearm and when driving the shoulder belt is positioned between my gun's grip and my body. I do this so that I have the quickest access to my secured firearm that I can muster. Bad things have a habit of developing quickly and I do not wish to be caught behind the curve if I can at all help it.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Bad choice- not having your gun immediately available.

Good choice- leaving. It costs you nothing and you avoid what could end up costing thousands in lawyers fees, emotional distress etc. Some people would press on and they think "I have the right to go into that store, damn any panhandler!" And for the most part they are correct. They should have the right to travel and shop unmolested. But sometimes you can save yourself a lot of trouble by just...
    Attached Images  
    CreedDryrot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Another thought I had was the venue here. I'm an amatuer musician also and I get to Guitar Center about every other month or so. Let's just say they have a clientele that's, how can I say this, "cognitively diverse." In other words, you can occasionally run into a flake there. The behavior of the bicyclist described by the OP was way out of line for normal society, but it just doesn't surprise me in a Guitar Center parking lot.
    I would think pan handling in a music store parking lot would be like fishing on a football field. Im sure you can cast your hook but not much of a chance of catching anything. Most musicians I know dont have or carry a lot of cash and most are cool with that.

We all have our own comfort level with carrying, but sounds like yours might change !! Perceived threat while reading your story and real threat felt by you in the moment are quite different. There is often very little time in that moment to distinguish someones motive and your response. To me....safety of the locked car worked out...had there been any violence by this guy----quick access to your weapon WAS a problem.
    Stories like this help everyone to be prepared or at least run scenarios in their mind that some day may be helpful !! Thanks for posting....
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Seems like a good degree of assumption was in play. The guy didn't threaten, didn't ask for money, didn't show any sign of aggression, and only tried to initiate verbal communication. like one of the above posts suggests, there are numerous possibilities to his desire to converse.
    Let me just ask this...was the bicyclist wearing a spandex riding suit or similar biking clothes that would have made concealment of a weapon difficult for him? Was he wearing baggy pants and a hoodie? Did he look homeless? What was it about his appearance that sent you into alarm mode and gave you reason to move to conditional response with your weapon? And if you were not in your car but on the sidewalk and someone approached you, speaking, maybe even asking for money, would you have responded similarly or simply said no and moved on?

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think your level of situational awareness was good--you spotted the guy, something seemed "off" and his later actions proved that he had an agenda.

What his agenda was shall remain a mystery, but you did well in sensing something was a bit off and you also responded well in the verbal department, trying to set a personal boundary space.

Was there a potentially lethal threat present? It's really hard to know FOR CERTAIN until you see the weapon or a threat is issued. I am of the opinion that you did OK by getting out your pistol and yet keeping it out of sight. Stuff can and often does happen FAST. Nobody saw your pistol, no harm no foul (except for not having it on you).

Deciding to just leave was a good idea as well.

About reporting incidents: Folks who are/may be up to no good don't usually just start a life of crime from being good upright citizens. More often than not, they have a lengthy history of criminal behavior. They very possibly may be walking around, up to nefarious stuff while having outstanding warrants or already be on probation. So, an accurate description (age, race, height, weight, clothes, direction of travel, etc) phoned in to the local 911 dispatcher about suspicious behavior may result in a bad guy/girl getting taken off the street. Just because a crime wasn't committed against you, doesn't mean they aren't already wanted. Trouble follows some of these people like a bad smell.
    airslot and sdh91 like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array BkCo1's Avatar
    As others have said on body carry. Things went well for you but you need to know more before you pull your gun. Let me suggest something I do. I have a second gun in the vehicle with me in an easy accessible place.
    That way I can reach it without drawing attention. When I leave the vehicle it gets locked up or goes in my pocket.
    sdh91 likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I would think pan handling in a music store parking lot would be like fishing on a football field. Im sure you can cast your hook but not much of a chance of catching anything. Most musicians I know dont have or carry a lot of cash and most are cool with that.
    I don't know about that. I, and some friends of mine, would be an exception. So you do have the "neer' do well" demographic, as you say. On the other end, you have the suburban weekend warrior-type musicians like myself who are always looking for the next cool thing. I don't' have it as bad as some people. I know some guys with high-end guitar and amp collections who barely play at all. At least I perform every week at church. I think when the first demographic encounters the second, there is the possibility of the some good pickins for a panhandler.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Good lessons learned. Now itís time to put them to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    airslot likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I don't know about that. I, and some friends of mine, would be an exception. So you do have the "neer' do well" demographic, as you say. On the other end, you have the suburban weekend warrior-type musicians like myself who are always looking for the next cool thing. I don't' have it as bad as some people. I know some guys with high-end guitar and amp collections who barely play at all. At least I perform every week at church. I think when the first demographic encounters the second, there is the possibility of the some good pickins for a panhandler.
    Yes I have several guitars under a sheet of dust. I played bass at church for a while but gave up on that. I have some decent acoustic guitars but none of them have any songs in them. I kept buying them thinking one would have songs inside. Funny thing is when my friends play them they do just fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links