Teachers carrying guns in school part 2 - Page 5

Teachers carrying guns in school part 2

This is a discussion on Teachers carrying guns in school part 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Spokane1969 I'm not judging or assuming a police officers IQ. Not any easy answers on this one, I think most of us ...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: Teachers carrying guns in school part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Spokane1969 View Post
    I'm not judging or assuming a police officers IQ. Not any easy answers on this one, I think most of us should hug our kids and hope we never have to be on any end of this scenario. No winners on this one, very sad, terrible. I'm pretty sure most of us wished there was someone there to drop this maniac, I wish I was.
    I didn't mean to imply that you in particular have such an opinion but that is how the majority of the public views them. As a rule other than people, particularly politicians trying to buy votes you don't hear a lot good said of the police.

In reality cops are above average in intellect and sufficiently well trained not to just show up blasting away at anyone they see with a gun.

We have thousands of incidents each year where civilians are acting in lawful self defense with a firearm when police arrive and you will almost never hear of an incident when they shoot the good guy out of confusion.

Like I said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who is shooting into the crowd and who is trying to stop them because the good guys will usually be using the very same tactics the cops are and acting defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertywheel View Post
    Is this common knowledge for the community? Certainly a deterrent if the possibility of a ccw on campus is widely known. Is it a new policy?
    I think it is and has been the policy statewide for a long time. When was the last time you heard of a mass shooting at a Utah School?

These nuts will always look for soft targets and I have yet to see one of these incidents that when the investigation is complete we don't find out that there had been some serious planning involved well ahead of time.

Even in the cases where the shooter is obviously crazy, they aren't stupid. Even when their intent is to go out in a blaze, they want to survive long enough to try and run up a bigger body count than the last mass shooter.

As a rule they intend to end up dead or at a minimum accept that they will probably die in the attempt but infamy isn't achieved with a low body count and these guys universally want to be remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertywheel View Post
    Is this common knowledge for the community? Certainly a deterrent if the possibility of a ccw on campus is widely known. Is it a new policy?
    I think it's relatively common knowledge, but that's a discussion I have not had with too many people. I had a conversation with a high school counselor here a couple years back about it and he carried daily. He was quick to point out that even among the teachers not everyone knew who was and was not carrying. Not a brand new policy apparently according to the article below:

Q&A: Utah teachers and guns in schools - The Salt Lake Tribune
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Where I am at, in Southern Utah the schools have "Resource Officers (uniformed city police)". While not required, anyone carrying in the school should inform the officer. I many cases those who routinely visit the school, and teachers who carry are part of the response plan and trained to perform as such.
    duane_wade_1 likes this.

Hmmm.....although IMO there should be better security, I'm not in favor yet of teachers being armed in school. I believe in my township, the only way one can gain entrance is by the locked front foyer all other entrances remain locked....how did he get in anyway...I'm not really following this melee. Also, there are plenty of returning Vets that could hold security positions and are lookin' for well paying jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I think it's relatively common knowledge, but that's a discussion I have not had with too many people. I had a conversation with a high school counselor here a couple years back about it and he carried daily. He was quick to point out that even among the teachers not everyone knew who was and was not carrying. Not a brand new policy apparently according to the article below:

Q&A: Utah teachers and guns in schools - The Salt Lake Tribune
    Interesting. I THINK I like the idea of adults having the option to ccw in school...as a possible deterrent to these deranged individuals.
    G26Raven, wizard7mm08 and baren like this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kill_Switch View Post
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.
    It took 32 minute for the first LEO to arrive at the FL shootings. That has to feel like an eternity for those inside the school?

Many people have forgotten that some teachers were prior military that used the Troop-to-Teacher program to get a teaching gig. The program began in 1994 as transition assistance towards a teaching career and has since recruited more than 6,000 military members. I understand the the Progressive Left prefer to believe that all teachers never would want to CC, but thousands all ready have. Not mention those in the Reserves also. It should the teacher choice to carry or not! IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post
    It took 32 minute for the first LEO to arrive at the FL shootings. That has to feel like an eternity for those inside the school?

32 minutes in a metropolitan area IS an eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    I wonder how many Teachers would carry if lawfully permitted to?
    I hope at least all military reservist and Troops to Teachers Military vets? The T-T programs claims 6,000 vets are in the program.

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Gun free zones are a piece of progressive retardation writ large. Prevent law abiding people from entering armed so that the only people who will have a firearm are the people who enter with malice aforethought.

It isn't just schools, although intentionally making them a soft target is almost unconscionable considering how invaluable what's inside it. We would place armed guards around jewelry or money without a thought, but somehow hardening a school is contrary to whatever atmosphere the progressives who run it are going for? Give me a break. To me that's egregious dereliction of duty. They care about making kids feel so safe even college kids can't hear an idea they might disagree with, but when it comes to actually making them safe they're deaf, dumb, and blind.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who is responsible and wants to carry should...all the time and everywhere. There ought not be such a thing as a soft target at all, and there wouldn't be if there were hard men who were armed and in that place, period.

Either I'm crazy, or they are. Either I live in our one reality, or they do. To me there shouldn't even be a discussion it's so simple and common sense. It's only because of their politics that they live in fantasy land. A pox on their houses.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

KLV
    excellent..!!
    "Awareness, Avoidance, Escape, Defend” .... The Way of the Peaceful Warrior

KLV
    teacher undercover carriers are essential!!!...no student shall know who carries, they are not stupid, they will take them out first!...so sad but necessary!..
    "Awareness, Avoidance, Escape, Defend” .... The Way of the Peaceful Warrior

I may have missed it , but how did Cruz get into the school ? The schools are supposed to have all doors secured , no one can gain access from the out side . Did he have a accomplice that let him in to the school etc etc ?

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    60 cops on duty at the Parkland, FL high school? Seems a bit over the top.
    And with the total school population of the district, add another 5,400+ cops...it's not going to happen.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links