Teachers carrying guns in school part 2 - Page 6

Teachers carrying guns in school part 2

This is a discussion on Teachers carrying guns in school part 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by baren Many people have forgotten that some teachers were prior military that used the Troop-to-Teacher program to get a teaching gig. The ...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: Teachers carrying guns in school part 2

Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post
    Many people have forgotten that some teachers were prior military that used the Troop-to-Teacher program to get a teaching gig. The program began in 1994 as transition assistance towards a teaching career and has since recruited more than 6,000 military members. I understand the the Progressive Left prefer to believe that all teachers never would want to CC, but thousands all ready have. Not mention those in the Reserves also. It should the teacher choice to carry or not! IMHO
    Most of my male teachers were Vietnam era Veterans.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Very common for teachers to carry concealed here in Utah. Even the administrators don't know which ones are carrying and who is not.
    The answer is right above.

I would favor the armed staff working together to plan logistics, just like in other types of drills. Utah allows anyone with a CCW permit to carry without asking anyone's permission...as it should be. It would not be known who is armed.

Look up on line and see the number of school shootings in Utah, the very few (dating back to the 1700's) really consisted of arguments between individuals. School Resource Officers working in my buildings often talked 'favorably' of armed citizens having access to our schools. The media make it sound like schools want to hand out pencils, paper, and Glocks to all teachers at the first staff meeting. This couldn't be further from the truth. Some teachers are not interested in being armed, just like some people in society do not wish to be armed...no problem, and I can certainly respect that position.

I remember past conversation with smart thinking LEO's discussing concealed carry being allowed in our schools after people have experienced additional school shootings...we may be approaching that threshold. Unfortunately, even the slow learners will eventually realize the ineffectiveness of "gun-free zones"...such a stupid idea in the first place.

I speak from decades of personal experiences, and I look forward to the day that schools will be allowed to create a truly safe educational learning atmosphere for our young learners.

For those interested in some comparison research, here are the recorded school shootings from the 1700's.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School..._United_States
    (You'll have to scroll down a few pages to begin viewing the easy to read info.)

A letter to the Florida Legislature from Florida Carry...
    An Open Letter to the Florida Legislature
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

More schools should give incentives to former military/officers that retire and return to the workforce as school teachers, at the school my daughter teaches , there is a new teacher that is retired military, all the students know of his former military service.

She said the students do not act out in his presence , his class is very quiet and orderly . When he is not teaching a class he walks the halls, ( not sitting in the teachers lounge) she said this has caused some of the other teachers to do the same , this in turn has has cut down on problems , a little common sense prevention appears to have gone a long way.

So imagine a teacher/teachers walking the hallways in our kids schools possibly armed , they see a threat and sound the alarm there are plenty of ideas that can be discussed and possibly brought to light..

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I bet theirs more then a few grandfathers who are vets who would willing to HELP with this problem and all it would cost is a few DONUTS in the morning, a lunch and FREE COFFEE ALL DAY!! Where do I sign up?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Hmmm.....although IMO there should be better security, I'm not in favor yet of teachers being armed in school. I believe in my township, the only way one can gain entrance is by the locked front foyer all other entrances remain locked....how did he get in anyway...I'm not really following this melee. Also, there are plenty of returning Vets that could hold security positions and are lookin' for well paying jobs.
    The cost difference between arming and training the faculty and staff vs hiring even one armed security guard or SRO is about 10k per year vs 70-100k for a single officer who can easily be taken out as he/she is responding.

2, 3, 5, 10 or more armed and trained faculty/staff is a far better return on investment and provides a far greater and more effective deterrent and response.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Gun free zones are a piece of progressive retardation writ large. Prevent law abiding people from entering armed so that the only people who will have a firearm are the people who enter with malice aforethought.

It isn't just schools, although intentionally making them a soft target is almost unconscionable considering how invaluable what's inside it. We would place armed guards around jewelry or money without a thought, but somehow hardening a school is contrary to whatever atmosphere the progressives who run it are going for? Give me a break. To me that's egregious dereliction of duty. They care about making kids feel so safe even college kids can't hear an idea they might disagree with, but when it comes to actually making them safe they're deaf, dumb, and blind.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who is responsible and wants to carry should...all the time and everywhere. There ought not be such a thing as a soft target at all, and there wouldn't be if there were hard men who were armed and in that place, period.

Either I'm crazy, or they are. Either I live in our one reality, or they do. To me there shouldn't even be a discussion it's so simple and common sense. It's only because of their politics that they live in fantasy land. A pox on their houses.
    The reality is that no law anyone can envision much less get passed will prevent all future attacks.

At some point people need to come to grips with that and focus on the best way to respond when they occur vs all the hyper emotional handwringing and blaming the problem on the 100 million plus law abiding gun owners who didn't commit a crime today simply because we refuse to give up our rights.
    Havok and Jaeger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I may have missed it , but how did Cruz get into the school ? The schools are supposed to have all doors secured , no one can gain access from the out side . Did he have a accomplice that let him in to the school etc etc ?
    I have yet to hear/see a report on that but I did have a fairly busy day. Still not seeing it reported this evening though.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Most of my male teachers were Vietnam era Veterans.
    All but one of mine wee WWII, Korea, or Vietnam vests. I'd estimate that today there are even more.
    matthew03 likes this.

According to the time line laid out the other day, he shot his way into the school. His first couple of victims were outside the school entrance (not actually “inside” the school). He covered not only the first and second floors but went up to the third floor too. He had tried to shoot kids from a third floor window as they were escaping but the third floor window glass wouldn’t break (some kind of safety glass). He was caught much later, after having made good his escape by ‘blending in’ with other kids escaping. Went and bought a drink at Subway and walked across the street to MickyDs where a cop recognized his clothing from a police radio report.

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The reality is that no law anyone can envision much less get passed will prevent all future attacks.

At some point people need to come to grips with that and focus on the best way to respond when they occur vs all the hyper emotional handwringing and blaming the problem on the 100 million plus law abiding gun owners who didn't commit a crime today simply because we refuse to give up our rights.
    Agreed. No law has ever caused a certain type of crime to no longer happen. This is no different.
    busykngt, wizard7mm08 and OldVet like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Agreed. No law has ever caused a certain type of crime to no longer happen. This is no different.
    Yet every time there is a high profile shooting the left immediately starts telling us how we need "common sense gun regulation" as the answer for stopping them in the future.... .

It gets old.

They use the still bleeding bodies of the dead and wounded and the grief of the families and loved one's to push an agenda that has remained unchanged for decades.
    duane_wade_1, airslot and OldVet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by busykngt View Post
    According to the time line laid out the other day, he shot his way into the school. His first couple of victims were outside the school entrance (not actually “inside” the school). He covered not only the first and second floors but went up to the third floor too. He had tried to shoot kids from a third floor window as they were escaping but the third floor window glass wouldn’t break (some kind of safety glass). He was caught much later, after having made good his escape by ‘blending in’ with other kids escaping. Went and bought a drink at Subway and walked across the street to MickyDs where a cop recognized his clothing from a police radio report.
    We live in a world where security cameras, monitors, even mikes/speakers can be hardwired to any location in a building and electronic locks can be engaged on doors with the flip of a switch.

Why doesn't every school the country have such basic security measures already in place?

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The cost difference between arming and training the faculty and staff vs hiring even one armed security guard or SRO is about 10k per year vs 70-100k for a single officer who can easily be taken out as he/she is responding.

2, 3, 5, 10 or more armed and trained faculty/staff is a far better return on investment and provides a far greater and more effective deterrent and response.
    Sorry but I disagree......wouldn't want any teacher I know carrying a gun in school....I'd opt to pay for professionals to get the job done security wise.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    32 minutes in a metropolitan area IS an eternity.
    It’s hard to describe the area. It’s suburban but the school is pretty much way off the beaten path. It’s not right along major roadways. I agree 30minutes is too long though.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Teachers carrying guns in school part 2

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Sorry but I disagree......wouldn't want any teacher I know carrying a gun in school....I'd opt to pay for professionals to get the job done security wise.
    So let me get this right you are on a forum dedicated to civilians participating in concealed carry but you don’t want civilians conceal carrying and want to “pay professionals”? Do you have private security detail at your house?
    Last edited by cmdrdredd; February 17th, 2018 at 12:15 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links