Hip Pain - Page 2

Hip Pain

This is a discussion on Hip Pain within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll also recommend you assess your belt and holster quality. I use a 14oz BigFoot Gunbelt with metal lining and it will support more than ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Hip Pain

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    I'll also recommend you assess your belt and holster quality. I use a 14oz BigFoot Gunbelt with metal lining and it will support more than I want to carry. My holsters are comfy too.

Assuming hip joint pain let me suggest trying adding some glucosamine to your diet. I don't have to carry a handgun to have hip joint pain and glucosamine has all but eliminated it from my life. If it's pain in your body then maybe adding some turmeric. I'm not talking the stuff you find in the kitchen cabinet spice rack but rather extract of turmeric standardized to 95% curcuminoids blended with bioperine. Beware of cheap turmeric that is largely the kitchen stuff and of taking too much as it can cause bleeding. Especially Nasty messy nose bleeds of the sort that makes you seek medical attention.

ETA - I take 2000mg of glucosamine each morning and 500mg of turmeric then too.
    Last edited by 1MoreFord; April 20th, 2018 at 08:10 PM.
    Joe

Senior Moderator
    Beltman. I have three. I am losing my battery
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

A couple things worked for me with this very same issue. I also had back pain so I was miserable while carrying. Forget leather belts. Get a nylon webbing belt such as the Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer or Nova from T-Rex Arms or something similar. This will allow you to be able to make micro adjustments in the tightness of the belt. Most leather only allows for 3/4" to 1" increments. That said, I believe Kore Essentials leather design allows micro adjustment. I also switched to appendix carry. These two things have cured my pain issues and my carry gun was much heavier being a G19. I now carry a G43 mostly and it's even more comfortable. I use a sidecar style AIWB holster from Crazy Eyes Holsters. AIWB is not for everyone. I was a bit nervous at first but some training & practice have cured that, as well. I also have the benefit of a naturally slim build so I don't have to work too much to keep the extra weight off which makes AIWB much easier.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Good stuff: The Beltman

He also has quick ship belts here: Quick-ship-belts

I have two standard leather belts, plus a belt with the internal liner.

I am pleased with all of them.

I would also discuss your pain with your physician - he may be able to refer you to a Physical Therapist that may be able to reduce or eliminate the pain.
    BigJon10125 and SatCong like this.

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Not specifically to the carry issue, but as 1moreford and R&G said, look into a "physical assistant". The gal I sees calls herself my "Kinesiologist". She does sports massage, some ultrasound, stretches etc.

I had seen doctors for many years with knee pain. 3 MRIs and "nothing is wrong" yet it hurt like the dickens, always. She fixed me. May be worth your time if it is in the budget. It is an area we often neglect and think of more as a luxury. It is nice, but so is not living in pain or taking a ton of pills.
    Last edited by BigJon10125; April 20th, 2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spellun
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I love my beltman belt as well and need to get another. Dropping some lbs so I am waiting to see what size I need
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Going out this evening in crossdraw. We will see what happens. Covers well. Not as comfy, but not too bad.

As for the strong side hip, soaked in a hot epsom salts bath, cupping, and tiger balm treatment. When it's not agitated, we will see about 1 o'clock again.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Beltman. I have three. I am losing my battery
    You've lost far more than just your battery...
    Rock and Glock and SatCong like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Bravo, @OldVet
    SatCong likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Didn't get out of the house with it at the 11 o'clock cross draw. It dug in too much walking, and was horrible sitting. Ordering the vest tomorrow morning.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

I developed a pain on my hip in church one afternoon. Seven years later, I went to the courthouse to have her removed. It was expensive, but I've been pain free since!

Psalm 144:1

A P32 in the pocket is better than a pocket full of change, and weighs less than my smart phone.

Yep, sounds like sciatic nerve problems. After many years of wearing a Sam Browne with gun, handcuffs etc. pushing on my back 8-10 hours a day I too have sciatic nerve damage. I can't even carry my wallet in my back pocket for any length of time without pain. So for me, in retirement, its front pocket carry or appendix carry and an upside down shoulder rig sometimes in the winter. I can carry right at 3 o'clock for awhile at the range, but only for an hour or so. Behind the hip in a no no.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member

A better belt or suspenders to transfer the weight. Also check your shoe heels for wear. Rolling on the heel used to really cause me to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    A couple things worked for me with this very same issue. I also had back pain so I was miserable while carrying. Forget leather belts. Get a nylon webbing belt such as the Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer or Nova from T-Rex Arms or something similar. This will allow you to be able to make micro adjustments in the tightness of the belt. Most leather only allows for 3/4" to 1" increments. That said, I believe Kore Essentials leather design allows micro adjustment. I also switched to appendix carry. These two things have cured my pain issues and my carry gun was much heavier being a G19. I now carry a G43 mostly and it's even more comfortable. I use a sidecar style AIWB holster from Crazy Eyes Holsters. AIWB is not for everyone. I was a bit nervous at first but some training & practice have cured that, as well. I also have the benefit of a naturally slim build so I don't have to work too much to keep the extra weight off which makes AIWB much easier.
    This is what made even heavy gun carry so much more comfortable. I use a fairly inexpensive 5.11 nylon web belt that is 1.75 inches wide with velcro adjustment. I can carry 40 ounces all day in comfort compared to my purpose built heavy leather gun belt. I like the look of leather better but, comfort rules the day for me and micro adjustments is what makes the difference as well as lateral flexibility while moving. I can Turkey hunt all day while bending and stooping and having to sit still for hours in comfort vs my leather belt. I also have the same belt at 1.5 inches wide and it is not as comfortable as the wider version.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links