How to buy handgun ammo under the age of 21? - Page 2

How to buy handgun ammo under the age of 21?

This is a discussion on How to buy handgun ammo under the age of 21? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The correct answer is, you have to have someone at least 21 yo buy it for you. A friend of mine, when he was going ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: How to buy handgun ammo under the age of 21?

The correct answer is, you have to have someone at least 21 yo buy it for you.
    A friend of mine, when he was going through the police academy, had to have his mommy buy his handgun ammo.
    He got more in his Christmas stocking too.
    dangerranger likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

So I've decided I'm just going to search the classified to see if any private party is selling ammo around me since in AZ you only have to be 18 to buy private party.
    thedave1164 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseBuster View Post
    if you're legal age to buy a handgun then you should be able to walk in a store and buy ammo as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMan0352 View Post
    +1
    If you can buy a handgun then I donít see how you couldnít buy the ammo.
    Rule #1: Never rely on the Internet for legal advice. But having said that:

What you "should" be able to do, and what we do or don't "see" is irrelevant. Federal regulations say that you may not buy a handgun or handgun ammunition from an FFL licensee unless you are 21 or older, and the FFL holder may not sell it to you. With respect to ammunition, it says nothing about possession, private sales, gifting, or "straw purchases".

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    According to Federal law you can't purchase a handgun or ammunition until age 21.
    Nope. Again, see above. The Federal restriction only applies to transactions with/by an FFL holder.
    OldVet, Gunnie, Ianthin and 4 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Rule #1: Never rely on the Internet for legal advice. But having said that:

What you "should" be able to do, and what we do or don't "see" is irrelevant. Federal regulations say that you may not buy a handgun or handgun ammunition from an FFL licensee unless you are 21 or older, and the FFL holder may not sell it to you. With respect to ammunition, it says nothing about possession, private sales, gifting, or "straw purchases".

Nope. Again, see above. The Federal restriction only applies to transactions with/by an FFL holder.
    I take that back...you can buy a handgun and ammo from a private sale between 18 & 21.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    According to Federal law you can't purchase a handgun or ammunition until age 21.
    Actually under federal law you can't purchase a handgun from a dealer if less than 21. I think you can buy from an individual at 18. Now state laws vary on age. Makes for a weird loophole for ammo doesn't it?

Ooops, I early answered and now that I've read further I see it's been covered.
    Joe

I remember this coming up once before, Some tiny town had a crooked sheriff,The only one that would run against him was an 18 year old. They couldn't find any reason to keep him from running and the current sheriff didn't pay him much attn. When the votes were counted They had a new sheriff that wasn't old enough to buy a gun or ammo.

The solution they came up with was to have the new sheriff write himself a note that by order of the Sheriff He may buy ammo. His department issued him a gun. It seems like that was sometime in the late 90's. DR
    maxwell97 and airslot like this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    This whole thread feels like a liberal trap. "I went online and people were willing to tell me how to easily bypass the 21 yoa law". It's the "gun show loophole" argument in a different form. The answer is in post #4. You can't no matter what state law says.

I mean seriously he's asking how to bypass federal law....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    ...It's the "gun show loophole" argument in a different form. The answer is in post #4. You can't no matter what state law says.

I mean seriously he's asking how to bypass federal law....
    Nope.

You're correct to cite Bad Bob's Post #4, but need to read and understand it a little better.

Note that the Topic of the ATF FAQ is,
    "Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?"
    Note also:
    "Licensees are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA regardless of State or local law. However, if State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age for the purchase or disposition of firearms, the licensee must observe the higher age requirement."
    It's not a matter of anyone trying to "bypass" a Federal regulation. It's simply that the regulation is not applicable to a private sale.
    Bad Bob and OD* like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Only elected officials can ignore federal law. Like with sanctuary cities/states. The commoners like you and I must abide by the written law.

I traded for my first centerfire handgun when I was 19. I had my mom buy my first box of .357 magnum for me from Kmart.
    ThirdShift and wizard7mm08 like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

VIP Member
    I was gifted a shotgun under the age of 16. I had to have someone buy ammo for it for me. It wasn't a straw purchase. I just couldn't buy it myself.

My thing is that there must be a way to legally buy the ammo otherwise would would the state even go through the trouble of issuing me the permit.

Incase y'all wanted to check it out. Look under general elegibilty
    https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp

Quote Originally Posted by Misael47 View Post
    My thing is that there must be a way to legally buy the ammo otherwise would would the state even go through the trouble of issuing me the permit.

Incase y'all wanted to check it out. Look under general elegibilty
    https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp
    Not really. Purchasing isn't the only way you can acquire something and there's sometimes a difference between being legally able to own or possess something and being legally able to purchase it. There are also occasional dichotomies between Federal and State laws (think marijuana). When it comes to handguns and handgun ammo, if you're in the military at 18, your service can issue you both, even though Federal law prohibits a FFL licensed dealer from selling you either. In your case, your parents could purchase the gun and ammo and give them to you as gifts.
    wizard7mm08 likes this.

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

I own a gun store. There is no such thing as a straw purchase for ammo. Also, only an ffl is bound by those laws. The law is strictly about sales, not possession. It doesn't say you have to be 21 to own or possess handgun ammo, it only says an ffl is prohibited from selling it to anyone under 21. I hope this helps.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links