Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator - Who Carries It?

This is a discussion on Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator - Who Carries It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm an avid trail runner and we have coyote, bobcats, bear and cougars in our area. I run with a 380, which is more for ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator - Who Carries It?

I'm an avid trail runner and we have coyote, bobcats, bear and cougars in our area. I run with a 380, which is more for noise than anything else. Tried running with a PPS but it is way too big. The penetration reviews on the Xtreme Penetrator seem to match that of a hollow point 9mm. I'm now going to have them loaded while running. Yes, I'm fully aware that I won't be stopping any bears but might stand a better chance against a bobcat, coyote and maybe even a cougar. For the city predators, I have another mag loaded with Precision One XTPs.

Anyone else carry Xtreme Penetrators while in the woods?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Underwood loads that bullet in 380:
    https://underwoodammo.com/product/ha...me-penetrator/

A little extra to ponder while running:
    Maximum speed for a human 28 MPH (probably world class runner on a track)
    Maximum Black Bear Speed over 30 MPH (probably average for any mad momma bear)
    Maximum Cougar speed 40-50 MPH (however, probably just wait and ambush you)

But hey, don't think about that, odds are likely really low, enjoy running through the woods.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I carry them in a G42. Not a big fan of specialized boutique bullets in mot uses but I thing the 380 does benefit from the stability and predictability of the uniquely shaped solid copper projectile. Good penetration and it stays on track even after contact with bone. A friend and I ran some alongside conventional FMJ loads into a couple Paul Harrell-style meat targets. The EPs stayed on course noticeably better as observed in our recovery gel block. We shot from 10 yards and 25 yards to emulate social and natural world defense.

I've dispatched one badger and several problem raccoons with the EPs (I use the Underwood load), and they've been very effective in that application.
    PPS1980, Hatchee and gatorbait51 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I always just carried the Buffalo Bore 100 grain hardcast with a sharp edged meplat. My 357 magnum 180 or 200 grain hardcast are extremely impressive for straight line penetration no matter what they hit (I carry that 357 load for Grizzly bear its that good) so I figured they would improve a 380 as well. I would go with either depending on costs and get the cheaper choice.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I saw the - shooting the bull- you tube tests that show the penetration and the size of the wound path that the XP is supposed to make and if these test are real then the XP would do good enough of a job in self defense as I would want. I really can't imagine having to shoot through dry wall or a vehicle window but if I did I like having the solid copper rounds. I have been carrying the .380 Lehigh Extreme Penetrators for a few years now. I figure that I don't need the new and improved if these do what they claim they will.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I wouldn't worry about bobcat. You'll be lucky to see one while you are running. Coyote are only a concern if they are rabid. Then, put them down on sight. Mountain lion will find you. Get big, mean, and back away. A .380 will only be useful as a skull shot to dispatch the animal.

Other than a noisemaker, the .380 is pretty useless for black bear too. Learn how to avoid confrontations with these animals. It's usually easy to avoid a bear. 40 years walking the north woods, and I've never had a problem. I've seen coyote, wolves, bobcat, moose, black bear. Never a mountain lion. At this point, my never needing a gun (although I always had at least one) has to be more than luck.
    JasonJ and gatorbait51 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

At 1:15 PM today, it was reported that @Nmuskier was killed and eaten by both a blackbear and a cougar. The bear won the wishbone contest. The prize was Nmusker's prized .380.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Wow...

You've got a pretty unique situation there.

I wouldn't carry much less than a .357 mag in that terrain, but since you're running the whole time I see why you've opted for a .380.

Have you considered some sort of chest rig so you can carry something a bit more capable while still being quickly accessible and not flopping around all over the place?

Of course, open carry may not be legal where you run, but I've seen similar setups that are in an enclosed pouch...

Best of luck out there and good on you for trying to find ways to stay armed while doing what you love!

gatorbait51 and PPS1980 like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Wow...

You've got a pretty unique situation there.

I wouldn't carry much less than a .357 mag in that terrain, but since you're running the whole time I see why you've opted for a .380.

Have you considered some sort of chest rig so you can carry something a bit more capable while still being quickly accessible and not flopping around all over the place?

Of course, open carry may not be legal where you run, but I've seen similar setups that are in an enclosed pouch...

Best of luck out there and good on you for trying to find ways to stay armed while doing what you love!

Yea, I tried all sorts of waist bands, fanny packs, inside & outside WB holsters and on the chest. The only comfortable way for me on a 6 mile run is in the cloth holster that Ruger provide with the LCP II tucked inside my running shorts waistband.....I forget that it is there. I have no illusions of taking down a mad momma bear. But after seeing the penetration of the Xtreme Penetrator, I do feel more comfortable about coyotes and the red wolves (which they re-introduced close by. One was hit by a car about 3 years ago 2 miles from my house).
    gatorbait51 and kerberos like this.

Worried about being killed by this?

Think you may be ambushed by one of these?

Choice for quickly stopping brutal animal attack:

gatorbait51 likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

But what could possibly go wrong
    gatorbait51 likes this.

gatorbait51 likes this.

I would think that running into one of those animals on a well used trail would be pretty slim.
    I think you would be more likely to run into a two legged critter with bad intentions. I don't think a bad guy would be having a good day if being perforated by some extreme penetrators.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddot9 View Post
    I would think that running into one of those animals on a well used trail would be pretty slim.
    I think you would be more likely to run into a two legged critter with bad intentions. I don't think a bad guy would be having a good day if being perforated by some extreme penetrators.
    Actually, I have sighted a cougar twice within 1 mile of our house and the bear in my avatar photo is at our bird feeders!!! Haven't run across a coyote while running but we can hear them at night. The trails I run are seldom used by anyone but my wife and me....she doesn't run them alone since my first cougar sighting.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hatchee, Im not trying to be a jerk. If bear or big cat were truly a concern for me, Id A) learn to run with more gun or B) find a new place to run. No 380, no 38, no 9mm. No. The 380 will likely be found in scat the next day. Besides, a big cat will probably tap on your shoulder from behind.

I wont hunt in griz country because slipping around in the woods occupied by 1000 pound predators, that dont like being surprised, seems unwise. There are alternatives in life and there are alternatives to life.
    forester58 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links